Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 01-18-2022, 11:09 PM

Default Bicycle Dig Rig

Iím in an urban environment and several very productive sites are within 1-3 miles of my house. As a result it is easier for me to use a bicycle to travel from location to location. This is the rig that I set up to accommodate all my necessary gear securely on my bike. It can also be removed and used as a regular carrying case as well. These are early photos, and there have been some new modifications and improvements since they were taken. If there are any questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Images

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:39 PM
Supporter

Dang that looks like a sweet setup! Nice work!

Iíve used toe clip straps to attach my scoop and held my defector parallel to the handle bars on my bike to ride a mile or two to the beach from my father in laws placeÖ free parking with a bike

Your setup is Rolls Royce comparatively!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $52.18 ($1175.46), Silver coins: 6 (56), Wheats: 11 (174), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 4 (102), Rings: 12 (258), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Old 03-12-2022, 11:13 PM

Good looking set-up. I have a question Do you live in Minnesota, and ride to these sites in January, February and March? I bet that gets pretty cold.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:16 PM

S W E E E E E T!

And with the price of Gas going through the roof, we ALL may be riding a Bicycle as if we live in a 3rd. World Country!

not because they are easy, but because they are hard" - JFK

Old 03-15-2022, 10:49 PM

MidTN there is little to no detecting going on up here from December to almost mid April. Between the 18Ē-24Ē of snow accumulation and the ground literally frozen solid to the frost line youíre not going to get much done unless you have some earthmoving equipment at your disposal. I use the off season to do my historical research, plan what parks to hit, review land use proposals, set up permissions, clean, organize, research the previous yearís finds and build things like this. Itís definitely no substitute for actual trips out, but it pays off when I can hit the ground running as soon as the ground thaws.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:12 AM

That does look awesome! We're about the same here in Michigan. Dec/Jan/Feb is basically "cleaning and sorting" season here, not a lot of digging going on. We're getting close here in mid March now though!

Like folks have said....with expensive gas, this is a good setup!

Old 03-16-2022, 05:57 PM

Iím in Minneapolis proper, so I have several (15?) parks within 2 miles of where I live. Riding a bike just makes more sense for those short trips. A little exercise never hurt anyone. Iíve also found that there are bike trails that give you easy access to more than a few quality historical locations that would require a lot of walking from a parked car. This set up works for me, but I could easily see the idea modified for a one piece system to move all your in-use gear from one place to another. Like from your car to a friends, to make room for other stuff in the vehicle, or just moving it all indoors for security purposes.

Stay tuned, Iím currently working on an updated version of the same idea. If thereís enough interest I can provide a parts list and some instructions to build your own.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:37 PM
OldCherryPicker

Looking good! Like the way all is setup.

I have a spot I can ride a bike to .. been kicking around the idea, just need a junk bike to get started. Would like to have a electric bike but worried about someone stealing it..

2022.. Gold rings 5 .. Silver 13

Old 03-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Supporter

I like it! What kind of mounts are those...for the shovel and detector?

Old 03-28-2022, 04:48 PM

The clips are Everbuilt(?) tool holders from Home Depot, but for added security I have a Velcro strap mounted around the entire fixture just so nothing flies off going over bumps in the road. Thereís actually two sizes there. The yellow pin size are smaller and hold a detector shaft no problem. The green pin size is larger and hold a standard small shovel handle securely. Maybe these pictures can explain it better?
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2022, 09:38 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MinnesotaMetal View post
The clips are Everbuilt(?) tool holders from Home Depot, but for added security I have a Velcro strap mounted around the entire fixture just so nothing flies off going over bumps in the road. Thereís actually two sizes there. The yellow pin size are smaller and hold a detector shaft no problem. The green pin size is larger and hold a standard small shovel handle securely. Maybe these pictures can explain it better?
Proper! TY

Old 03-29-2022, 01:09 PM
Elite Member

Very well thought out and put together. I like it, I like it a lot. Well done.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:48 AM

Iíve had some down time between projects and have moved on to Dig Rig 2.0 using a very different setup and implemented some new ideas into the design. I will start a new thread in the next few days to show where things have ended up with the new project for anyone following this ridiculous journey.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

Around here you would have to walk back because no matter how you had it locked up the bike would be stolen while you were detecting.