Awesome Antique Shotgun Shell Find

thebasis85

Remnants of an old shotgun shell found in Duxbury Mass, manufactured by "Union Metallic Cartridge Company" (U.M.C). I did my research, and the casing is completely deteriorated because they used a paper casing instead of brass or plastic. Leaving this brass end with branding info. I'm almost positive this was issued/fired by a Union soldier of the Civil war, due to the "Union" branding at the bottom. I learned the company (UMC) was started to issue ammo to the Union soldiers, and later, after the war, they sold commercially and combined with Remington in 1911. Dating this, (most likely), in the Civil war era (1861-1865). Please, if anyone has any new info, input, or interesting facts I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00454.jpg
    DSC00454.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,697
Last edited:
Sorry but no, it is early 1900's UMC stands for UNion Metallic cartridge

But isn't that the issue? (the type of ammo)..for instance I have found a "Nitro Club" shell from the early 1900's, but have yet to see another "Union" branding such as this one. Because of this, I figured the "Union" was because it was manufactured specifically for Union soldiers..that would be disappointing if it weren't the case.

Back
Top Bottom