Spanish Silver in the Woods! First One in Over 4 Years!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Went back to the spot where I found a few musket balls and an 1805 LC last week. Started out with an ox knob and 5 shotgun shells and then got a 72 signal. Figured it was just another shotgun shell, but I was wrong! I knew it was a good find when I pulled out a tiny silver coin. I wiped it a little bit to reveal the 1778 date! Got my first 1/2 real since September 2014! My long Spanish silver drought is over!

This spot has no evidence of any cellar holes, but it has endless stone walls. The coin was about six feet from a stone wall and very close to an opening in it. As they say, look for the signs...

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• 1778 real.jpg
    1778 real.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 1778 real reverse.jpg
    1778 real reverse.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 1778 real M.jpg
    1778 real M.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 1778 real M reverse.jpg
    1778 real M reverse.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC00118.jpg
    DSC00118.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 281
Congratulations!! Spanish is so cool when you see those pillars. I had a very good Spanish year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the honker on that guy,what a profile! AWESOME find and nice work narrowing it down. That for me would be a career coin. Just spectacular...

Thanks for all the great replies! Wind chill is pretty nasty today, so I may have to wait until tomorrow to go back and look for another one. We'll see...

awesome job tim. One day I'll find spanish silver....:no:
I've found 4 Spanish silver coins in my town of Scituate, but never found one anywhere else, which is odd. A lot of the towns I detect in were settled in the 1600's, so they should have some Spanish silver somewhere. I guess I just haven't found the right spot yet...

Ive found 12 Spanish silvers this year but I dont expect to repeat these results in the future. If I just found one or two a year I would be happy. Congrats on yours

I've found 4 Spanish silver coins in my town of Scituate, but never found one anywhere else, which is odd. A lot of the towns I detect in were settled in the 1600's, so they should have some Spanish silver somewhere. I guess I just haven't found the right spot yet...

my area is not the best because it was setteled in early 1800's. So I have good luck on the seated and large cents but the spanish seems just out of reach in most spots here.

Back
Top Bottom