Detecting Caves...

Grumpysrb

Forum Supporter
Watching Larry the Cable Guy. He's in a cave used by locals, Indians, outlaws and soldiers for hundred years or more. I was wondering if anyone had ever MDed in a cave like that and if anything was found?

I have never tried it myself but it sounds like it could have some potential never know till you try. HH

Two of my friends years ago bought a cheap detector. To go in a cave. They didn't know what they were doing and had a few beers. They kept getting signals. They dug and dug. But didn't find anything. Then the one swinging. It dawned on him that he was wearing steel toed boots. That is were there signal was coming from! LOL True story!

LMAO twtullock! Great story. I'd love to detect a cave with history like that but my concern would be legal access. Who owns it? Just my thought. GL and HH. Matt

As a former spelunker there are a few things that come to mind here. First, caves have an AMAZING ability to preserve what has been lost in them...a visit to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky attests to this.Many caves in the Carolinas and Virginia were used in the Civil War to mine salt peter ( extracted from the bat guano ) to produce gunpowder for the cause and still retain some of the artifacts within. This leads me to my second point, many caves are "living" or still forming. They have water flowing through them and continuing the erosive process and building process of stalagmites and stalagtites (among other formations). The mineralized water in this process is deposited through the cave AND on any relics that may have been left behind, in essence adhering them to the cave. Unlike dry, or dead, caves; removing relics from a living cave would require breaking them out of the living rock and could have the adverse effect of "killing" the cave and causing it to cease to form.
If we dig a bad plug, the grass will eventually grow back. Sadly, if we damage a living cave we may kill it.

Just a thought.

What came to my mind was walking around the cave with a MD. If I get a hit and there is soil dig it out. I know many caves have a soil or soil like floor, I have been in them. If people have been using them for hundreds of years it can't be all that bad. The one I saw on TV had been used for storing vegetables and a community dance among other things. The thought of chiseling out a find isn't desirable or realistic. I don't like to dig can tabs, who wants to jack hammer one out?

Grumpysrb, I did not intend to imply that YOU would desecrate a living cave. Caves have a wide range of definitions from the incredible beauty of Carlsbad to a cleft in a rock. I agree, the "dead" caves hold excellent potential.

I just felt that, being a public forum, the limitations should be voiced. Not all potential readers of this thread may consider the ramifications of hunting just any cave. I say go for it, but consider the particular circumstance.

I was back East this summer and hit on the idea of possibly detecting sink holes rather than caves. In many instances, these depressions above caves were used as dumping grounds.

I like caves.

I enjoy MD'ing around caves and around the entrance. Last time I was in a cave my brother slipped and fell, head first into a sharp rock. The trip was ended quickly with a long uncomfortable ride to the ER.

Safety is important. Wear the right clothes, let someone know where you are, and dont go alone. Also know your limitations.

You can expect to find all sorts of modern trash in caves. I find more bullets than anything else. Oh, and critters. If you dont like critters, I wouldn't go in caves. Had a mated pair of large owls meet me at a entrance one day. Very funny now, not at the time.

A point has been made about chipping out a item. While i think natural caves safer than a old mine. Banging anything could cause loose dirt of rocks to come free.

As a former spelunker there are a few things that come to mind here. First, caves have an AMAZING ability to preserve what has been lost in them...a visit to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky attests to this.Many caves in the Carolinas and Virginia were used in the Civil War to mine salt peter ( extracted from the bat guano ) to produce gunpowder for the cause and still retain some of the artifacts within. This leads me to my second point, many caves are "living" or still forming. They have water flowing through them and continuing the erosive process and building process of stalagmites and stalagtites (among other formations). The mineralized water in this process is deposited through the cave AND on any relics that may have been left behind, in essence adhering them to the cave. Unlike dry, or dead, caves; removing relics from a living cave would require breaking them out of the living rock and could have the adverse effect of "killing" the cave and causing it to cease to form.
If we dig a bad plug, the grass will eventually grow back. Sadly, if we damage a living cave we may kill it.

Just a thought.

Wouldn't it just grow back? :?: Say I dropped a buckle, years later the cave grows over it, then I hit it with a sledge hammer and get it out. Then years later would it not grow back over? I'm confused lol

I found a few caves in the niagara gorge when i used to walk around as a teen but being alone in the gorge was scary enough. I never did enter those caves. I need to find a buddy to go with me and do some exploring. The underground railroad ran through these parts also. Yup. Gonna have to explore.

Well, There aren't any caves around here that I know of. But I have been in some at other places. The only caves I'd be interested are those know to have human activity.
Last one I was in did. But it was small and all anyone ever did was camp at the entrance. The rest was too low and too narrow to do anything but crawl through. Did have a bear den in the back, no bears at the time. Found that out on a dare and my 357 in hand. Had to crawl right up to the depression in the dirt to see the bottom. Some tracks bigger than my hand though.

It was just a thought and I was wondering if anyone had actually detected in a cave.

I'd think there would be some potential for most any cave to have been used as shelter from bad weather, at some point in time. Don't think it wise to hunt them alone, since there would be critters using them for home as well. Wouldn't think it too wise to go very far from the entrance, unless you have experience, too easy to get lost, without light, and doubt most seeking to get out of the snow and rain would have either.

Here in Panama we have a undreground cave that has a river running through it that people use as a swiming hole. I guess I better check it out. Large cave but nothing there to damage. In some parts of the cave you have to swim underwater and come up on the other side where the best pool is to swim. Bad place to be in the rainy season. slider

Love Larry the Cable Guy, I just watched that episode! He almost got stuck!

Watching Larry the Cable Guy. He's in a cave used by locals, Indians, outlaws and soldiers for hundred years or more. I was wondering if anyone had ever MDed in a cave like that and if anything was found?

Two of my friends years ago bought a cheap detector. To go in a cave. They didn't know what they were doing and had a few beers. They kept getting signals. They dug and dug. But didn't find anything. Then the one swinging. It dawned on him that he was wearing steel toed boots. That is were there signal was coming from! LOL True story!

LOOOOOOOOOL! hahahahahahahahaha.

Been there done that! Bought some rubber boot for a club hunt in wet weather. Luckily I noticed the steel toes before the hunt and kept the coil away from them. But then I had trouble getting them off when my feet sweated and there was no where on the heel to kick them off. I ended up very muddy, but relieved to have them off.

Next time I'll buy a larger size.

Anyway, I'd never go anywhere there was significant danger of being hurt by myself. I'm guessing cell phones don't work deep into caves.

The cave they showed on TV, the locals went what appeared far in for the dances and to store the veggies. The temp was a consistent 57

Interesting question. In NC, the year round temperatures in caves is in the high 50’s usually around 59. Most of the caves in our state our tourist attractions and it’s actually illegal to touch any type of formation in the cave. If I ever get a chance--I’m hunting one. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom