On the board with first silver of 2014 ...

tonym

Elite Member
Hi Gang:

Had a thaw the last couple of days and I got out for an hour and a half with DoctorTector this morning. Virtually all of our hunting areas are frozen solid and undiggable at the present time. I scouted around yesterday (about 8 different sites) and found one section at one site that was huntable. We hit that site this morning and DoctorTector and Historyfinder89 are out there as I type this.

This is not our preferred spot, but we think there are more goodies to find at this spot.

I was able to squeeze out 13 coins this morning including 2 wheats (1942 and 1951) along with my first silver of the year: a 1964 Rosie dime. Puts me at 1 silver and 5 wheats for the year so far.

We're plunging back into single digits for the next 5 days, so won't be getting out again until March most likely. This has been our coldest and snowiest winter in Western New York in 20 - 25 years.

Attachments

• 20140223.jpg
    20140223.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 192
Our thaws here in the tundra have not come yet and we are now looking at late March before doing any digging. So with that I credit you for finding a dig-able area and making a successful outing. It gets you on the Silver board with the first of what looks to be many. That is if mother nature decides to cooperate. This has been a rough Winter indeed. Jack

Congrats on the first unfortunately my first wasnt dug I still am waiting and waiting to dig thefirst for this year may have to a long road trip soon !

Our thaws here in the tundra have not come yet and we are now looking at late March before doing any digging. So with that I credit you for finding a dig-able area and making a successful outing. It gets you on the Silver board with the first of what looks to be many. That is if mother nature decides to cooperate. This has been a rough Winter indeed. Jack

Thanks Jack

Congrats on the first unfortunately my first wasnt dug I still am waiting and waiting to dig thefirst for this year may have to a long road trip soon !

I almost did not go John. This winter B.L.O.W.S. You are correct about a road trip. Let's take off and do some South Carolina beaches. I'll pick you up in an hour :) When I was younger, 3 of my friends drove non-stop in the winter to South Carolina to play miniature golf, then turned around and drove straight home without sleeping :) 16 hour drive each way.

Congratz! I got my first ever silver today as well. Also a 64 Rosie. Must be 64 Rosie day across the country!:laughing:

Thanks Jack

I almost did not go John. This winter B.L.O.W.S. You are correct about a road trip. Let's take off and do some South Carolina beaches. I'll pick you up in an hour :) When I was younger, 3 of my friends drove non-stop in the winter to South Carolina to play miniature golf, then turned around and drove straight home without sleeping :) 16 hour drive each way.

I was invited to texas next week im really thinking bout going

LOL, I got one today too! Congrats!

I wonder if that is the most common USA silver coin found. I'll bet it is right up there.

For the record, I have found 65 rosies and 5 of them were year 1964 plus two 1964-D's

Went back and checked my stats. 1946 is the most popular year for me with 10 out of 65 being 1946. First mint year for rosies too.

Managed a 49 rosie with Tony today. Went back out with Ron and found 5 more wheats so I ended the day with 8 wheats and one silver. Felt great to get out and dig.

Nice job Tony! I'm glad we were all able to get out and hunt. Congrats on the Rosie!:). You see the temps for the next few weeks? Not good :no:. This one day was fun while it lasted! :lol:

Congrats on the thaw and the find. Just imagine what your going to find this summer when weather is great. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom