1860's home produces my first Barbers

Rather-B-Huntin

Elite Member
The town where my business is located just predates the Civil War and has multiple homes built in the latter half of the nineteenth century. I've been hunting several homes that date back to the twenties with decent luck finding wheats and period silver coins. But I've been lusting about gaining permission to hit some of the really old homes. Today my wish came true!
One of my customers came into my shop today around noon and reported that he'd recently purchased an 1860's era home just one block away from my place of business. Having a good rapport with him I didn't hesitate to request permission to MD his yard, which he happily provided. Even told me not to worry about filling in the holes as he is about to have some landscaping done as soon as the weather breaks.
Fearing that any changes to the yard may put most good targets out of reach I was anxious to get there ASAP! With about 90 minutes of daylight remaining, I headed out about 30 minutes early in hopes of getting lucky. I decided to hit the most likely spots this evening, so I started with the walk way from the house. I turned my XP Deus on and was literally on top of a clad Quarter (@#$% 1965!!). Taking this as a good sign, I started swinging where the walk way met the public sidewalk. In the first three feet I hit a good number and a shreaking tone. I think to myself, "Could this really be silver already??" I cut my plug, and my ProPointer said the target was at the bottom side of the hole. I moved some dirt with my hand and saw that beautiful glimmer of silver looking back! Lifting it from the hole, I immediatley recognized another coin had been stricken from my bucket list. My first Barber coin! It was a pretty worn 1904 dime!! A couple of copper memorials later, and well after sundown in the shadows, I hit a solid 60 on the Deus. It appeared to only be about three inches down, but nothing was in the plug? I scooped some more dirt and scanned the hole, but no report from the ProPointer? Then I happened to look down and saw a round object laying atop my dirt. I could tell by the size that it was a nickle, but the fading light and the severely worn condition made it impossible to determine what kind of nickle. I packed up and headed back down to my shop to do some cleaning and identifying. After some warm water and a toothbrush scrubbing, I was able to make out a 1902 and a partial Liberty head on the front, and that unmistakable 'V' on the back! My first V nickle!! Considering that I own a Barber shop, it's a relief to finally add some Barber coins to my collection.
I'll be heading back tomorrow afternoon with my son to cover the rest of the yard!!

http://s799.photobucket.com/user/ra...140221_181526_zpshockmaye.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Awesome! Sounds like that yard needs more attention before the landscaping gets done! I'd hit it as much as you can, forwards, backwards and from all angles - without wearing out your welcome of course. Still remember the rush of finding my first Barber.... Can't repeat what I said when I saw that dime in the hole, but man oh man, what a great feeling! Congrats!

Congrats on the two firsts. I somehow ended up clicking on one of your hunting pics.....VERY nice buck you took with the bow.

Thanks everyone! I'm headed back to this sight right now and staying til dark. Weather is supposed to deteriorate tonight and may not make it back for a while, so hopefully today will be productive. Further details this evening!

Back
Top Bottom