What cannon fired this?

Kolby72

Forum Supporter
Hey guys I found this little guy on a battle field near the town of Nordlingen. The battle field is from the early-mid 1600's so I already know the age. The 2 main fighting forces were the Swedish and Spain. My buddy found one about 6 feet away that was bigger than a bowling ball and weighed in at 23 pounds! Mine is about 2 pounds and about the size of a baseball.

Attachments

• IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 573
Kolby, if you can give exact measurements it'd help... If we talk about older cannon systems that's from a Falcon or a Falconet type cannon. However Gustaf Adolf's artillery system had a 3 pounder regimental cannon with ball diameter of 76mm and weight 1,25 kilos.

Voriax

Its about 3 pounds and is approximately 21 centimeters in diameter

Chuckle.."about" .."approximately" :p

I'll go with the 3-pounder for now...those values are close enough. If it's from a Spanish cannon..well they were sort of notorious not having any definite standards.

Voriax

I was hoping it was Sweedish haha well that is cool, we were trying to determine if it was fired or not.... I guess there is no real way to tell. Maybe it did some damage? LOL

Attachments

• infantrybreastplate.jpg
    infantrybreastplate.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 518
  • armor_side.jpg
    armor_side.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 509
Here is a pic of all of the cannon balls we have found.....the smallest one is mine. That just shows how huge the last one is! 23 pounds!

Attachments

• 154535_10101894572623150_7922424_76773737_1034610694_n.jpg
    154535_10101894572623150_7922424_76773737_1034610694_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 535
Hey Kolby,
the little hill site we have found the cannon balls was indeed occupied by spanish troops. If we want to find swedish cannon balls - we just have to go half a mile NE direction. That hill was conquered by swedish troops and were under attack with cannons. I found another interesting description of the battle with better maps and more places to hunt!!! :D

OWWWwww!!

That guy SERIOUSLY lost his right arm to that...if he survived at all.

Nah, that had to be fatal on impact. Would have taken the ribs, lungs and part of the heart or at least MAJOR arteries out the back of the body. Not to mention the metal thats missing from the breast plate. Imagine seeing that hit in slow motion like the movies nowadays.. OUCH.

Heheh...yup! I'd say this pretty much fits the sub-topic:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/14151043/fearless-fosdick

Lil abner was one of my favorite strips when I was a kid. Ironically, dick tracy comics bored me, and I enjoyed the way fosdick lampooned him! :lol:

But my quote above actually came from another classic: Monty python. It was a line uttered by some dark knight that king arthur had sliced to ribbons. I'll see if I can find a reference...

ADD: Well THAT was easy...here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690

Back
Top Bottom