• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

3 months, and 13 days... Longest I'd gone without finding gold!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
That three months was no fun. Granted, I didn't do a lot of detecting for about 2 months of it.

My 15-year old son (who has grown to over 6' and 225), decided, "Hey Dad, I can punch really hard now, let me show you."

Like and IDIOT, I said, "Sure son... just make sure you hit the meat of my shoulder, ok?"

Well... He missed. And hit hits like a mule kicks.

Hit the top part of my shoulder and completely broke the connecting tendon to my collarbone. This is called "separated shoulder."

You can see in the attached images, that my left shoulder [1st pic] (facing you, that'd be on the right), is good, but my right shoulder... and SWINGING ARM... the collar bone is lifted [2nd pic... be sure to follow the collar bone]

Made it durn near impossible to do much while it healed up. I'm back in action again, and have made it out 5 times in the last 2 weeks. SO glad to be back out. I was going stir-crazy!

Found the gold ring in a tot-lot at a school today. I knew the school is regularly hit by detectorists, because I barely find anything there, anytime I've ever gone. Today was no exception. No coins in the tot-lots, except a lone quarter, and very few in the grass.

One of the lots had a lot of foil in it from gum wrappers. They rang up around 41-45 constantly. This ring rang in at 42 on the nose, right beside a foil wrapper that was 43 on the nose. I always inspect the targets, though, and as I kicked away the bark, the ring showed up. Wasn't expecting much (it IS an elementary school... and lots of junk rings show up in these)... but to my surprise, when I lifted it, it had 10K stamped inside. The light hit it just right that I saw the 10K before I noted the pattern on the outside.

I just stood there, and said, "Well, I'll be darned." Took a pic and decided to post tonight.

Gold #8 for the year... and ring #121 Not to bad for a dirt pirate. 1.78 grams. Nice ring, though!

-Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 56436037336__27C31CE2-8062-45E1-AF08-EE03746AECEE(1).jpg
    56436037336__27C31CE2-8062-45E1-AF08-EE03746AECEE(1).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
Your 15 yr old son is 225 lbs, and over 6 ft tall? Good Lord! What have you been feeding that boy? Now that he busted you up, he owes you big time. Hope he makes the NFL or some other lucrative career in brute force.

It's about time you posted another nice ring. Now we know why it took so long.

Your 15 yr old son is 225 lbs, and over 6 ft tall? Good Lord! What have you been feeding that boy? Now that he busted you up, he owes you big time. Hope he makes the NFL or some other lucrative career in brute force.

It's about time you posted another nice ring. Now we know why it took so long.

He's a big boy, for sure. He loved football, with a passion, but took some nasty hits during practice (by his own TEAM, AFTER the plays were done, because they were frustrated), that really rang his bell. The last one, I called it quits (he was in 8th grade). He saw double, and had trouble reading for almost 6 months.

The High School coaches are always asking him to join up. He hates going to the games, because he misses it so badly. I feel bad for the boy.

As for his size, it's genetics, for sure, but we also weight train 4-5 days a week together. I'm 5'11" and have a 52" chest and 38" waist. I don't feel like I'm all that big, but my shoulder's don't fit in any seats. Long haul air flights are rough. My son, though? He's going to be HUGE. I think he'll top out around 6'2.

I'd like to tell you what he eats, but it's pretty much everything within arm's length. He is a bottomless pit, right now. LOL

I'm not worried about the injury. In fact, he and I have had a great laugh about it. It cost me a few months of altered routine in the gym, and some visits to the physical therapist, but I should recover about 95% of my pre-injury strength and mobility. It just kind-of "catches" now when I sleep with my arm over my head. With all the other injuries I've had in my life, this one is a "laugh it off." It's sort of a point of pride with my boy, too. "Yeah, I broke my Dad's shoulder when I punched him." LOL You can see how that would puff up a 15-year old. :)

The downtime has been the worst, though... I've been itching to get out and detect. In the meantime, I took up another hobby, making knives! These are Damascus steel, with elk horn antlers. I'll be making the leather sheaths, this week. Looking forward to another hobby to stave off the boredom of the long dark winter. Last year, it was ring making... this year knives. :)

I'm looking forward to getting out more, to detect, though!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_0756(1).jpg
    IMG_0756(1).jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 157
The downtime has been the worst, though... I've been itching to get out and detect. In the meantime, I took up another hobby, making knives! These are Damascus steel, with elk horn antlers. I'll be making the leather sheaths, this week. Looking forward to another hobby to stave off the boredom of the long dark winter. Last year, it was ring making... this year knives. :)

I'm looking forward to getting out more, to detect, though!

Skippy

Those knives look great, seems like you've gotten yourself into another cool hobby! Congrats on the ring too :)

Skippy went 3 months without gold? Yeah, right! I don't believe it.

Nice find! I've given up on tot lots, never find anything.

Really like those knives!

My 11 year old son just topped 90 lbs. Haha. It will be interesting to see what the next 5 years brings. He's starting to eat everything in sight.

Skippy went 3 months without gold? Yeah, right! I don't believe it.

Nice find! I've given up on tot lots, never find anything.

Come on Bagelbites! I had an EXCUSE. My shoulder injury! LOL

I did a tot-lot tour today, after work. In 90 minutes in 3 elementary schools, I pulled about $3.50 and 2 Silver Rings. Sometimes it's just about timing. Tot lots get hit a lot.

And frankly, on the original post... that's the FIRST gold ring I've ever pulled out of an elementary school tot lot. I've found close to a dozen in the fields, of elementary schools, but never any in the bark.

As a general rule, I only hit them, when I don't want to dig much. LOL My back was hurting today, from a pulled muscle. It was nice to just sweep the bark with my foot, and then stoop to pick up, rather than have to kneel each time for a plug.

Skippy

Beautiful Knives Skip !!!

welcome back to the Jewelry Store..

Yep. The first hunt back, I hit an elementary school I'd not done before. It'd been cleaned by some other detectorist of dimes and quarters, but I found NINE rings in it (which was a new personal best in a single hunt). 2 hours in the field... 9 rings and 100% of them were junkers. Was pretty lame. LOL I think I barely cleared $1 in change.

Jewelry is out there, for sure... but it's nice to get the gold!

Really like those knives!

My 11 year old son just topped 90 lbs. Haha. It will be interesting to see what the next 5 years brings. He's starting to eat everything in sight.

I thought my 11-year old ate a lot. then I got a 15 year old. the kid pounds about 9000 calories a day... It's insane.

Back
Top Bottom