A golden reminder to always dig those mid tones!

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, looks like we will be getting plowable snow tomorrow and aside from a few coppers here, and a few silvers there, I haven't really hunted much since my last post. A friend of mine had found what he believed to be a solid gold thimble in a farm field we have dug coins/relics dating back to the mid 1600's. He asked me to take it home with me and give it an acid test. Which I gladly accepted, as I wanted to take pics and show the forum this beautiful piece of history. Looks Victorian to me, but the acid tests show it is 14K gold! No makers marks unfortunately, and it was cracked and repaired at one point in time. It is a size 8. Anyone have any ideas on age? I might have to add this to my sterling thimble thread even though its gold. Never seen a solid gold thimble before. It shot out a solid 48 signal on the AT gold. A signal most would probably walk right over in a trashy ploughed farm field. I have dug probably 100 pull tabs and pieces of aluminum since :laughing: you just never know out there folks, hope you all had a great thanksgiving, and have a merry Christmas this year!

Attachments

• 1130190814a_Film4.jpg
    1130190814a_Film4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 1130190815_Film4.jpg
    1130190815_Film4.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 1130190814d_Film4.jpg
    1130190814d_Film4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 1127191809_Film4.jpg
    1127191809_Film4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 576
Killer find! I can’t imagine finding stuff dating back to the 1600’s! I’d would be gridding that field for the rest of my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Lord that is a SPECTACULAR find !!

the thought of a Gold Thimble never even crossed my mind..

Reminds me of the old fairytale of Rumpelstiltskin where he spun Gold from Straw..

Never seen a Gold Thimble posted before! Didnt even know they existed! What a wonderful find! Sheesh! We have seen more gold coins posted than gold thimbles! :neat:

Appreciate the kind words everyone! Wish it was mine! :laughing: I knew it was special right away, and after all the years of fertilizer and ploughing, its amazing its in this kind of condition. The crack clearly happened before it was dropped, you can see a solder joint on the inside from the repair process. I'm guessing the makers mark was sanded off when the repair was done, but who knows, may have never been marked. Its very thin obviously, and weighs in at 4 grams. Thought I would share with everyone here, as I had never seen one either. Good luck out there!

That is certainly a beauty !! You can see why someone spent the effort to repair the crack. I can imagine it was someones prized possession. It would sure look great in anyone's collection.:yes: Also, worth digging a few tab tops to get one like that !!

so neat! nice going. i always have to shake my head at those who give up on pull tab/mid tones eventually. thanks! more gold for the rest of us. :D

That is also a first for my eyes Jeff. A gold Thimble has to be very special. Your friend has a real winner with this find. a huge congrats. Trapper

That is indeed a very nice recovery, and an elegant piece of history! Thanks for sharing. :grin:

Wow... Just Wow!

Did Danny find that? I assume the crack in it is because it shot out of the ground and hit him in the forehead when he was walking by...

WoW! I bet there's an interesting story about how that thimble came into someone's possession. Probably all the kids in a family worked odd jobs all year, and saved up their coins to buy the golden thimble at the general store for Mom's Christmas present. Then there's the story of how it came to be cracked, and the trip to the jeweler to have it repaired. How it ended up in the field is yet another story. Awesome dig! Thanks for posting this, even if it wasn't your find.

Back
Top Bottom