Elbow pain from detecting?

This is what I do. One arm gets tired switch to the other, isn't that why we were born with two arms?

How many of you switch arms? I started doing this very early on, as I was concerned about a repetitive stress injury. It's a little awkward when you first start, but with practice it will become comfortable. When I'm gridding an area, I will typically go one direction right-handed, then come back the other left-handed. It helps to keep both arms fresh, and I haven't (yet) run into any elbow or shoulder problems. Otherwise I would agree with the advice to tweak the length a bit. Just a little shorter will take some of the weight off of your arm.

How many of you switch arms?

Never. I tried that in the beginning but it wasn't easy.
It is so inconvenient to have to change detector and scoop every time to dig, and then switch back to search further. Two unnecessary actions that only take a lot of time.Then i found out what workes for me.

I am right handed. I detect with my left, and cary my (bigger) shovel with my right. If i find something i then can easily and at once dig with my shovel with my right hand and a foot, meanwhile still holding my detector left (for quick extra pinpoint and so).
That hunts so easy and energy and time saving. Now i dig almost all my finds within a time i count in seconds as minutes aren't even involved (accept for a negliable more diffucult find).

I more often told this way of hunting to others. Some find heaven, and some others couldn't get used to it. So it's up to each one for himself if it does it for you. It workes for me. And like i already said, i can hunt for many hours without problems.

Very interesting, so I don't change the detector and scoop / shovel every time I dig, only every 10-15 minutes when one arm starts to get tired.

Otherwise I do detect and dig how you described. When I'm detecting with the left hand, I dig with the right hand, when I detect with the right hand, I dig with the left hand. Very balanced workload.

But I also recognize that it requires at least a little bit of comfort / coordination with both hands. I was a very active drummer / percussionist all the way through my school years, so my non-dominant hand is a lot more capable than what others may experience. But with anything, it just takes a little practice.

Never. I tried that in the beginning but it wasn't easy.
It is so inconvenient to have to change detector and scoop every time to dig, and then switch back to search further. Two unnecessary actions that only take a lot of time.Then i found out what workes for me.

I am right handed. I detect with my left, and cary my (bigger) shovel with my right. If i find something i then can easily and at once dig with my shovel with my right hand and a foot, meanwhile still holding my detector left (for quick extra pinpoint and so).
That hunts so easy and energy and time saving. Now i dig almost all my finds within a time i count in seconds as minutes aren't even involved (accept for a negliable more diffucult find).

I more often told this way of hunting to others. Some find heaven, and some others couldn't get used to it. So it's up to each one for himself if it does it for you. It workes for me. And like i already said, i can hunt for many hours without problems.

When I read this my first reaction was tennis elbow (tendonitus). Had it at one point in my life from SCUBA diving. Doc gave me a shot (cortisol) and cleared it up in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom