1848 braided hair large cent found in Seattle

Thanks, everybody! I was also trying to imagine how it ended up in that spot. It doesn't seem to be very worn but I can't begin to guess at how long it was in circulation before it was dropped. Most of the ones I see in videos and pictures from back east are a lot smoother-as if they were worn down from use. Or maybe corrosion?

Someone suggested that it might have been dropped by a logger because they began logging the forests here almost immediately after settling in the 1850s.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

YES!!! A large cent in the NW!! I didn't think they existed here.....:shock::shock:

I'll go with the gold rush theory. When I lived in Snohomish, just 20 mile NE of Seattle, I found an 1849 LC under a back porch of an old (mid 1800s) house just off 1st Street.
It had obviously been used as a pendant, so I think it belonged to a 49er who moved to Washington after success (or lack thereof) in the goldfields.
A large cent would make a cheap, dated souvenir. This fits with Tom's idea of heavy pennies not being taken in large numbers.
Gold seekers may have taken just one as keepsake.

In the picture with it is a mini pocket watch I found nearby.

Attachments

• large cent obv.jpg
    large cent obv.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Large cent rev.jpg
    Large cent rev.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
Holy Schmoly! I would kill to find a large cent out here in the west. That's only the 3rd one I've heard of from people I have dug with. Congrats on find of the month and a great looking large cent!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom