Old Silver Found

umn25

Forum Supporter
I was out poking around at my Great Aunts house, and stumbled upon what looked like a button container. I opened it up and saw some buttons, and an old change pouch. I picked it up and heard the jingle of coins. At that time I was praying it was Morgans; it turned out to be older.

Halves: 1820, 1836, 1846
Dimes: 1875-S, 1892, 1888
Half Dime: 1856
Nickles: 1873, 1899
Chinese Coin: ?

Attachments

• camera 6-7-08 1235.jpg
    camera 6-7-08 1235.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,766
Does the reverse of that 1836 half dollar say "50 C." or "50 Cents"? If it says 50 Cents, you have reeded edge variety and an expensive find! Probably between $2K~$3K in that condition.

unfortunately 50 C., my family will probably allow me to keep them, I am the only coin collector...

Wow! What a nice little hoard of coins. I was poking around at my great grandmother's house before she passed away, and I came across a small pile of wheat backs- the oldest was a 1918-S. The pile had probably been on the bookshelf for over 20 years and would've placed there by my great grandfather before he died in 1981. It was too high for her to reach!

Looks like you hit the jackpot!! It would take a lifetime of collecting to find that many older coins with a detector. Glad o see you put them in holders to protect their condition and value.:yes: Thanks for sharing.

That is so cool. Congradulations on your discovery. I think you need to be giving your great aunt some BIG hugs.

Wow,great finds.That 1820 CBH(capped bust half) is a better date in the series,and if the color in the pic is close to the in-hand look,that would ba a very desirable coin.The others ain't bad either!!!:)

Wow,great finds.That 1820 CBH(capped bust half) is a better date in the series,and if the color in the pic is close to the in-hand look,that would ba a very desirable coin.The others ain't bad either!!!:)

trust me, it looks better in hand!

Back
Top Bottom