Do you keep a diary?

Pilikia

So, as many of you know (since I never shut up about it) it took me two years to find a gold ring.
I will never forget that ring and where I found it.
I may never sell it.
But since then, I've found several more. Not a lot, but enough to start getting a little foggy about the whens and wheres.
So I started recording my finds in a digital diary (ala Doogie Howser… yes, I date myself).
I have a picture of the ring, the weight, the machine I was using, the date I found it, where I found it and any special circumstances.

I'm wondering if anyone else keeps a diary.

As an engineer and now salesman, I have my spreadsheet log of each hunt. Where how long what I found and misc notes. Helps to know what beach produced when. Then for parks when I hit them last so I know when to go back and hit the tot lot for a quick fun. Numbers are always fun to look at. Brings back the memory of the hunt

I have friend who keeps every detail of ever hunt, from the weather, tides, conditions, what he found, where he found it, the depth of and the time hunted.. every thing.... And I can say this, he started over a year ago and has improved a lot, but I believe it is because he is out there almost everyday for a 2 to 3 hours and now is learning what not to hunt,

Me, I'll take a picture of my finds and date it with water and air temps for future reference. I do video all my hunts but only go thru and save things that may help me later.

I bought a hawaii beach calendar just so I could record each time I went out, total hours, finds, clad count ect. I haven't touched it yet. Haha

Keeping a diary of my finds is my second favourite thing about metal detecting! I write down how long it took me to get there, all the tolls on the high ways, my finds and how long I was out there hitting the sand. Then every couple of months I average it out and see which beaches produced what. I guess I'm lucky that all my beaches take at least an hour to get to so I hit a lot of different beaches :)

The only thing I do now is take a photo on a scale and rename the photo with the details like date and location. I can pull up the photo years later and the name tells me the details.

I started this year. I'm sure it will pay off in the future some how. I hand write the date, location, time and items of significants in a paper binder.
Dc

I started this year. I'm sure it will pay off in the future some how. I hand write the date, location, time and items of significants in a paper binder.
Dc

Chris, I am glad I saw your post so I am not the only one out of touch with technology,,,,:laughing:I hand write the date, beach, type of gold and weight, that's it,,,,,,too lazy too worry about all the other stuff I guess,,,,GL HH

When I started the hobby, I kept track of everything:laughing: Lasted about 4weeks! Most of the great finds, I can remember where I found them!:yes:

I use an Excel spreadsheet that was given to me years ago. It asks for "dates", "location" and it calculates all totals and there is a "notes" section where I write in specific details such as wet, dry or water hunt, between which life guard stations I detected, etc.. That along with the pictures of my finds helps me recreate each hunt.

I have a spreadsheet where I write in every coin. What coin (penny, nickel, etc.) Year made, which mint, and the date I found it. Periodically compare that against a list of valuable coin/date/mint combos to see if anything is worth more than face value or is a "special" year/mint.

I have another tab in the spreadsheet for non-coin finds, but its just a basic log.

As an engineer and now salesman, I have my spreadsheet log of each hunt. Where how long what I found and misc notes. Helps to know what beach produced when. Then for parks when I hit them last so I know when to go back and hit the tot lot for a quick fun. Numbers are always fun to look at. Brings back the memory of the hunt

I use a fairly detailed Excel spreadsheet as well.

I copied a Google Earth map for my main hunting sites and mark the map where I find Gold/Silver with colored dots by type using Gimp. I also keep a detailed Excel file of finds, so I suppose I could use numbers to link back to that instead of using dots.

After a certain number of finds, the map shows "hot spots" pretty clearly.

And, no, local hunters, this map is NOT for distribution....

nope. the closest thing i use for a diary is my signature line on here, lol. :lol: any significant finds i make usually get jotted down on my kitchen calender, but that's about it.
as far as me marking specific finds on a map indicating a "good spot", well i tend to think that if i found a certain item in a certain place then i already have that item removed from that place. of course that doesn't mean that there isn't s'more goodies in that area, but most places i go to are repeatable places anyway meaning i often make return trips to the same place. ;)

Pete

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Record finds by date, by location and it keeps a running total by location on a summary page. Also insert notes if need be.

Back
Top Bottom