Petition to stop the banning of metal detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is brilliant you used Moveon.org! It's the only thing left wingers will listen to! Honestly it will hold more weight coming from Moveon!

The problem you have are the the Archeologists! Their finger prints are all over that letter! Two words, Night Hawking!

You need to organize and vote friendlies onto the board! I would go to every meeting and extend an invitation to the council to come to an open house put on by your new organization, Bay Staters for Responsible Resource Use and Safe Beaches for a Our Children!

The other thing I would do is go to the media I'll bet you could find a station that would do a public interest story on the controversy. Just make sure you combine a couple of ring returns and extend the invitation to the public about metal detectorist who will come find your lost ring. Also show the dangerous stuff we remove as a public service.

Start with this "fact". "While no one really knows just how huge the problem is, we do know that every year thousands of beach goers cut their feet on metal and glass, ending what should have been a fun day and drives up our medical costs needlessly. If metal detecting is outlawed, the problem will get much worse."

I signed it! Good luck.

Roger...

You should also be contacting metal detector dealers and manufacturers who sell in your state... this ban will slow down sales and in turn slow down tax revenues for the state... 418 people signed up so far is not enough to stop these archaeologists... they don't care anyway...

and while you are at it contact the http://www.fmdac.org/ see what they can do to mobilize this attack on our freedoms...

There are other means to be active. I can say one thing, the law is unconstitutional, in that they hid its progress. I mean of all the important things that need to be addressed by lawmakers, how does metal detecting slip through? Maybe its also time to eliminate some positions/titles and move mass to a part time legislature.

Pictures of hazards SENT

The guy in charge asked for pictures of hazards found and thrown away, at the beaches, I sent them to him, he wants to present pictures of hazards to those in charge of MA, if anyone else can present hazard pictures, of what they found , and have thrown away , this will help get the law reversed, thanks Earl His email address was sent to those who signed

Rodger

Hope this work out , and this gets reversed, I think others might have pictures of hazards from beach hunting that they have found, that don't have your email to send you the picks, I suggest everyone in the future, that they not only post the bling finds , but also start taking picks of the hazards on the beach , that they clean up, I also should have taken pictures of the hundred rusty 6 inch nails , I cleaned up from Ocean City Md pear storm damage , but I didn't , our hobby is at a threat level, once one state does this others follow suit, so I suggest prepare for a battle , have ammo ready, like this, happy hunting, good luck Rodger, Earl

Attachments

• breeze 071.JPG
    breeze 071.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 259
  • breeze 069.JPG
    breeze 069.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 255
Hope this work out , and this gets reversed, I think others might have pictures of hazards from beach hunting that they have found, that don't have your email to send you the picks, I suggest everyone in the future, that they not only post the bling finds , but also start taking picks of the hazards on the beach , that they clean up, I also should have taken pictures of the hundred rusty 6 inch nails , I cleaned up from Ocean City Md pear storm damage , but I didn't , our hobby is at a threat level, once one state does this others follow suit, so I suggest prepare for a battle , have ammo ready, like this, happy hunting, good luck Rodger, Earl

Earl makes a very good point . ( for a change) WTG Earl :yes:

I think it is brilliant you used Moveon.org! It's the only thing left wingers will listen to! Honestly it will hold more weight coming from Moveon!

The problem you have are the the Archeologists! Their finger prints are all over that letter! Two words, Night Hawking!

You need to organize and vote friendlies onto the board! I would go to every meeting and extend an invitation to the council to come to an open house put on by your new organization, Bay Staters for Responsible Resource Use and Safe Beaches for a Our Children!

The other thing I would do is go to the media I'll bet you could find a station that would do a public interest story on the controversy. Just make sure you combine a couple of ring returns and extend the invitation to the public about metal detectorist who will come find your lost ring. Also show the dangerous stuff we remove as a public service.

Start with this "fact". "While no one really knows just how huge the problem is, we do know that every year thousands of beach goers cut their feet on metal and glass, ending what should have been a fun day and drives up our medical costs needlessly. If metal detecting is outlawed, the problem will get much worse."

I signed it! Good luck.

Very good points, thanks.

[
I signed it! Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Great pics! Thanks.

Sadly, something like this could have the opposite effect that you are hoping for... it can make people realize that they CAN ban detecting in their park, beach, etc. So we may see even more banned spots from this...

You don't want to publicize that it's possible to ban your hobby...

Sadly, something like this could have the opposite effect that you are hoping for... it can make people realize that they CAN ban detecting in their park, beach, etc. So we may see even more banned spots from this...

You don't want to publicize that it's possible to ban your hobby...

Really??? So I should just give up on all the state beaches in Massachusetts because someone else might ban detecting :wow2:

Is the petition online only?

The 17th is international metal detecting day. Big Minelab hunt near me. Gotta be a good crowd to get a few signatures. Get something printed out and I'll take it with.

The public, is a whole lot of people, our hobby only represents a small part of it. Silence will only let it slip away. Sometimes, you just got to speak up, and be heard. Those who want to ban metal detecting, are only a small fraction of the public, as well, but do most of the speaking. The vast majority of the public, will form their opinion, give their support, based on what they see and hear. When it comes up to a vote, the majority wins. Which side has the most compelling argument, the silent side, or the vocal side? We don't have the resources, many don't have the motivation, to get the word out, that we care about our hobby. We can do quite a bit as individuals though, through our actions, and ethics. Public land, also belongs to a lot of other people, who don't swing a metal detector, and also those who wish we were never born. Just because it's public, should mean it's okay to hunt, even if there are no laws or rules. Need to show a little respect for the rest of the public, who have the same rights, since we are going to need their support. We don't have the numbers in our little club, to carry a vote. Sports fields are attractive places to hunt, but the vast majority of the public, isn't going to be thrill seeing us dig on them, without knowing about all the trash we remove, and the care we take to not damage the field, that we care, and that we try, least most of the people into this hobby. No matter what hobby, there are those, who just don't care about anything, beyond themselves. There are always going to be big gaping holes and trash left. It's not the hobby, it's the individual, but silence doesn't change that image...

....but silence doesn't change that image...

Harvey, the only time for lack-of-silence, would be to join in solidarity to fight a true already-existing in-place rule. NOT as some form of "pre-emptive" move. Would you agree?

Sure, let's all fight rules that are being proposed. But to think this also means that we should run around pre-empting rules (suggesting permits, and asking permissions where no rules forbid it), is .... well ... simply going to bring about the very attention you and I wish to AVOID :)

Harvey, the only time for lack-of-silence, would be to join in solidarity to fight a true already-existing in-place rule. NOT as some form of "pre-emptive" move. Would you agree?

Sure, let's all fight rules that are being proposed. But to think this also means that we should run around pre-empting rules (suggesting permits, and asking permissions where no rules forbid it), is .... well ... simply going to bring about the very attention you and I wish to AVOID :)

Tom, we all can't be master ninjas, nor do we all want to be as slick about it as you. You've made your point, about avoiding those who make or enforce the rules already in place, or would propose more restrictions. Silence, is the key to your success, which means the only ones talking, are those who want to take your hunting grounds away from you. They might not see Ninja Tom, or where he hunted last night, but there are other people hunting, not necessarily at night, some people have actual jobs, financial responsibilities. Some of us don't get to pick our hunting times, as easily as others.

Nobody saw you hunting, it never happened... Why not banned it, since nobody who cares, actually does it? It's all good for you, you'll still use stealth to hunt, whether it's banned, requires permits, or restricted. You will always do what's in your best interest, regardless of the people around you, or share the same hobby. No changing that, and I'll never agree with it either, simply accept it.

....you'll still use stealth to hunt ...

And so too do you. And so too, do all of us.

Would you waltz through any park at high noon, over beach -blankets, and through ball games? No. But why not? Lest you get a complaint and md'ing be "frowned upon". Ok, then what's any different from that, to what I'm suggesting? Why should ANY of us EVER want to run into "miss griper" or "mr. lookie-lou"? Don't you realize that no matter how you slice it, detecting has connotations? Why would you/we/I want to parade that around someone who might not like it

We ALL use a little ... uh ... discretion in our timing. Even you.

So what is the next logical step?

Say we get a million signatures, is there anything we can do to press this issue, or hold a public hearing of some sort?

And so too do you. And so too, do all of us.

Would you waltz through any park at high noon, over beach -blankets, and through ball games? No. But why not? Lest you get a complaint and md'ing be "frowned upon". Ok, then what's any different from that, to what I'm suggesting? Why should ANY of us EVER want to run into "miss griper" or "mr. lookie-lou"? Don't you realize that no matter how you slice it, detecting has connotations? Why would you/we/I want to parade that around someone who might not like it

We ALL use a little ... uh ... discretion in our timing. Even you.
Maybe California parks are tiny, and always crowded. Not like that around here. Weekends, they can get a little crowded, later in the afternoon sometimes. Most of the time, there is plenty of room for everyone, without stepping on someone else, or interfering. You are obviously exaggerating, to justify the True reason why you choose your hunt time, which isn't to avoid the general public, but to avoid the folks that will tell you NO, and run you off, or write you a ticket for Digging holes.

Tom, you are good with words, but I'm not the only one who has notice there is something not quite right with you. You are trying to hard to sell something, not give something away. There is some personal gain in all this for you. Don't know what it is, just know you aren't doing all this for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom