Giant skeleton key info

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Is there any information to be obtained from a skeleton key? I know they seem to have held the same general look for hundreds of years, but I pulled this massive one from an area I am finding Civil War items. The interesting part is I followed a line of civil war fired 44 colt bullets right to it, guessing someone wanted this baby back. I am thinking probably for a trunk vs a padlock? Is anyone here more familiar with them?

Just over 6" long, the teeth are just under 1". It looks like two large teeth in a row, small gap in between, but they are bent towards each other now.

Chastity belt key for the wife left behind? Sorry just had to say that. Wow that thing is gynormous!! Don't know but cool though.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Is there any information to be obtained from a skeleton key? I know they seem to have held the same general look for hundreds of years, but I pulled this massive one from an area I am finding Civil War items. The interesting part is I followed a line of civil war fired 44 colt bullets right to it, guessing someone wanted this baby back. I am thinking probably for a trunk vs a padlock? Is anyone here more familiar with them?

Just over 6" long, the teeth are just under 1". It looks like two large teeth in a row, small gap in between, but they are bent towards each other now.

that is one HUGE Key !!

great find..

If it was mine I would tell everyone it came from and Old City Jail :yes:

Chastity belt key for the wife left behind? Sorry just had to say that. Wow that thing is gynormous!! Don't know but cool though.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Haha love it. She might be a bit old for me now though :laughing:

Thanks for the info all! I don't know of any jails nearby, but there were some old buildings, we are also across the river from DC so I guess it's endless with all the pickets and troops nearby.

Here we call such keys 'Blacksmith keys'. For a lock made by local blacksmith. Those were fairly large and crude and used on storage buildings and like.

Voriax

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the information that's been shared. I ran the key through my electrolysis tank to blow some of the rust off, and I was able to find the details in the teeth!

Many times large iron keys like that were used on large gates, doors, and padlocks. They were called gate keys. Do a Google search on it.

It cleaned up so well, I was real happy with the electrolysis.

Many times large iron keys like that were used on large gates, doors, and padlocks. They were called gate keys. Do a Google search on it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look those up

The main door (which, oddly enough we never used) at the house I was raised in had a lock with a key much like that. Normally you would just leave the key in the door to operate the deadbolt. If you wanted to keep anyone from using the door, you would take the key out after locking it.

Definitely a big cell or door key. Possibly a civil war temporary prisoner holding cell? I'm sure they had to hold all the prisoners somewhere until transported to a main prison....

That's my guess at least LOL

Back
Top Bottom