what do you do ?

melbajoe

Forum Supporter
so this time of year I start to get my clad finds together and separate them into clean and those that have to be tumbled to make them passable. Of course there are always coins that are either so worn or corroded that they can't be spent no matter how well they are cleaned. Just wondering what you beach water hunters do with your trashed clad? Oh and I'm not talking about those famous zinc things named for one of our esteemed forum members- those I know what to do with:laughing::laughing: Thanks, Joe

http://knsfinancial.com/damaged-currency-money-replace-exchange/

How To Exchange Damaged Or Mutilated Coins:

If coin or any other metal is mixed with the currency, carefully remove it. Any fused, melted, or otherwise mutilated coins should be sent to the U.S. Mint at following address for evaluation:

Superintendent
U. S. Mint
Post Office Box 400
Philadelphia, PA 19105

For cases that are expected to take longer than 8 weeks to process, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will issue a written confirmation of receipt.
Mutilated Currency Mailing Address:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
MCD/OFM, BEPA
Room 344A
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D. C. 20013

All mutilated currency should be sent by “Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested.” Insuring the shipment is the responsibility of the sender.

Personal deliveries of mutilated currency to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing are accepted between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, except holidays. The BEPs Office of Compliance, Mutilated Currency Division is located at 14th and C Streets, SW, Washington, DC.

To obtain information about your mutilated currency shipment, please contact the Mutilated Currency Division using any of the following numbers:

(866) 575-2361 (toll-free)

Oh and I'm not talking about those famous zinc things named for one of our esteemed forum members- those I know what to do with:laughing::laughing: Thanks, Joe
Those you can send to Craig. Whatever you send to him he will charge you a 25% processing fee and mail you a check.

Pop them into Vending machines at the Hwy rest areas, then instead of purchasing anything, simply hit the hit the coin return button and get nice shiny ready to spend coins out!!!

Incidentally, Just yesterday, I ran over $10 of dirty Q's through the Chicago Toll booths!...That was satisfying on a multiple of levels! Chicago turnpike gets those dirty Q's and My boss will re-imburse me with the crisp bills!...

So yeah, all sorts of ways to offload the dirties instead of taking the 12% Coinstar hit..just think about it and get creative....at the carwash, or whereever theres a coin op machine...heck, toss them in the collection basket at Church even! Thats some filthy lucre right? :laughing:

I keep mine in a zip lock bag. Not sure what for...but it doesn’t seem right throwing them in the trash...even though that’s what they are.

Suppose you could bring them to a scrap yard. Don’t know if they’re allowed to take coins though.

If you have alot: I use a small portable cement mixer. Load with detergent , baking soda and pea gravel. About 15 minutes does the trick. No cement mixer ? Easy : laundromat with horizontal washing machine , same formula.

I keep mine in a zip lock bag. Not sure what for...but it doesn’t seem right throwing them in the trash...even though that’s what they are.

Suppose you could bring them to a scrap yard. Don’t know if they’re allowed to take coins though.

Well, I have NO PROBLEM throwing them in the trash. These zincolns are trash to start with and in my opinion not befitting for "The Greatest Nation on Earth". I just count them in my yearly count then in the trash they go.

so this time of year I start to get my clad finds together and separate them into clean and those that have to be tumbled to make them passable. Of course there are always coins that are either so worn or corroded that they can't be spent no matter how well they are cleaned. Just wondering what you beach water hunters do with your trashed clad? Oh and I'm not talking about those famous zinc things named for one of our esteemed forum members- those I know what to do with:laughing::laughing: Thanks, Joe

I don't find any of those nasty things... if I do I throw them directly in the trash at the beach or I throw them in the dry sand for those who hunt there :lol:

As for me hunting season is just beginning... I rarely if ever hunt the beaches during the summer months...

Toasted zincs go in the trash. Thin clad gets spent at convenience stores. The rest goes in coinstar for gift certificates to various stores.

Well, I have NO PROBLEM throwing them in the trash. These zincolns are trash to start with and in my opinion not befitting for "The Greatest Nation on Earth". I just count them in my yearly count then in the trash they go.

You put them in your yearly count ? Lordy ! I'm rich then if I did that... if you can't spend them , they don't count...

Let me see...... FREE money that aint no good....... toss it.:lol: I tumble mine Joe and trash the REALLY worthless ones. Everything else goes to the bank at the end of the year and THEY send it to the Feds. Shows up in my account in about 10 days.

Thanks A7thson I thought I had heard about the feds swapping it out. I'm not talking about the dirty stuff , I mean the coins that are so worn out they are just about recognizable as US coins, and I'm not dealing with those Felix's:laughing::laughing: Thanks all

It's not inflated. They were found coins (albeit trashed) and so they are counted. Not rocket science. It's our hobby.

Ummmm......oooookkkkaaaaayyyyy....
So...if you find a broken bottle in 20 pieces , Do you count that as finding 20 bottles ? Man...your counts are through the roof !

I take all my dirty half rotten zinc pennies, and stack them roughly 15-18 high, then I wrap them with just one riff of masking tape, and then I load them into 12ga shells for trap shooting! Talk about busting clay!! Friggin' things be flying all over the range like little murderous metallic frisbees! I got a 20' pattern!

Good Lord what a blunderbusstastic ballistic mess! Imagine A load of rotten pennies? I'm cleaning up down at the trap shooting club! Cheap too! ...I'm busting clays before they leave the trap even! Car Windows in the parking lot getting chipped etc, those fussing things just go flying!...I've never tried a stack of nickels, but pennies, yeah...and also depleted AA batteries cut in half....I've shot off a lot of those....you should see those suckers go downrange out of the shotgun slug barrel! "Whoop, whoop, whoop" as they get to tumbling!

I killed a big Bull Moose once with half a depleted DubbleA propelled by some bluedot! I punched that weed eating munchkin right through the boiler room with a half a depleted el cheapo Chinese knock off Coppertop!! Poor bastard! Big old moose, 7' rack at least...minding his own business...crawling out of the lake with a mouth full of watercress and wearing a lily pad for a hat!....Killed by a single shot H&R and a chinese battery that spent its life in an AtPro... .

..Pennies wouldnt have done that! Maybe nickels? I'm too cheap to try a stack of nickels when a half a dead dubble A does the trick..I'd hate to try to kill a Moose at close range with a shotgun loaded with a stack of nickels..not when I got plenty of depleted dubble A's laying about..

Moose are pretty tough and mean, they will kill you! Its just not safe...plus, the dead dubble A's are free, and a moose load of nickels will set me back at least .75cent...for a 3 1/2 inch 12ga shell, which is right on the edge of safely and humanely dispatching a big Moose with...? I dont know if anybodies every killed a big Moose with a load of nickels?

Maybe I'll look at getting into a 10 gauge and firing off a coupla 3 dollars of dirty dirt Q's? Or maybe a stack of Chucky Cheese tokens? For sure I will never load with dirt dimes! Not even on the 410! I mean sheesh! What can a guy kill of value with a load of dimes? Like maybe a weasel at 20'? Maybe a snowshoe hare? but hell...not worth $2 of dirt dimes for the both of them, tearing them all to hell in the process...a guy can kill either with a slingshot, pellet gun, stick, .22, or a rat trap..not worth shooting off a couple of bucks of dimes, and Lord help you if thats the load you got in the chamber when a Moose comes along!:laughing:

I felt so bad for that one Moose I killed by a homeloaded half a AA battery...I didnt even have the heart to stick around and process the kill, and lost my appetite for eating him....So I just took a selfie and left him there...I did take the lily pad off his head before I took the pic so he didnt look so stupid in his death, Paying it Forward so to speak...I hope somebody has the same courtesy for me someday...:laughing:..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom