• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The face of a hero...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
This teen had a disease so rare, it didn't have a name. His legacy could help countless others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1063656

191008-mitchell-herndon-cs-137p_43d07c4db61e6dd3a601d2e349a34013.fit-760w.jpg

We all have little problems, in our hobby a drowned detector, a broken coil ear and so many more little things that we all have to deal with in our hobby and in life.
Little problems are a hassle but sometimes it takes walking someone else's shoes to gain some perspective.
This one time normal, healthy kid was went through 7 years of a crippling disease so rare the doctors didn't know how to treat it and only one other person in the world was ever diagnosed with it.
A powerful drug was found by a researcher studying his unique genetic problem that hopefully could halt this disease and the FDA finally gave its approval to use it on him but it was too late...barely an hour before that approval came an MRI showed the disease had spread to his brain and so the drug could no longer help him.
Not long after he passed away.

He decided to donate his body to science and this is being described as a huge and wonderful gift to the medical community because what might be discovered and learned about his disease.
The impact on treating others with this disease and maybe others with different neurological disorders could be huge.
They think there is another young child in Ohio with this same disease and all the information about this new therapy is going to be sent to those doctors so they can get FDA approval.

This kid was not around all that long, only 19 years, and he is not a hero for just donating his body but also for everything else he did while he went through 7 years of constant suffering.
He was was an activist for rights for the disabled and the subject of news stories and interviews on tv and in the papers where his mission statement, agenda and goal was always to help out anyone and everyone that comes after him so they wouldn't suffer like he did.
I think he achieved that goal.

Last edited:
I was at the hospital a while back and everyone started lining the hallways. I was asked to join in for a "Walk of Honor" for an organ donor. A young lady on a gurney with all kinds of medial equipment rolled down the hallway with the family following behind. I had never heard of a "Walk of Honor". I really thought she was donating a kidney or something, I realized as the family walked by that they were saying goodbye. It was one of the hardest kick in the feels I have ever had.

Organ donors are heroes and so are any family members who have made that walk.

I was at the hospital a while back and everyone started lining the hallways. I was asked to join in for a "Walk of Honor" for an organ donor. A young lady on a gurney with all kinds of medial equipment rolled down the hallway with the family following behind. I had never heard of a "Walk of Honor". I really thought she was donating a kidney or something, I realized as the family walked by that they were saying goodbye. It was one of the hardest kick in the feels I have ever had.

Organ donors are heroes and so are any family members who have made that walk.

So heartbreaking.
I didn't know they did that.

Back
Top Bottom