Houston Area Hunters

I beleive that law applies to STATE PARKS in Texas. But if it is a county or city it might be open so check their websites, if no mention of detecting being banned I would go for it.
There is a metal detecting club in the Houston area. You can check the Texas Council of Treasure Clubs website for contact information.

Wow.. this thread dates back a few years. Hope to get a few replies though. I live in League City and I hunt Houston and Galveston pretty often - mostly solo, and mostly at night. The other night on the beach I was approached by a homeless guy that was a bit shady, but after talking with him for a while and fielding the "spare any money" and the usual "do you ever find anything" questions, I was able to go on hunting the wash. There are a few times that I was glad I was alone, that was not one of them - to the point of the thread -

I'm looking for a hunting buddy or a group hunt.

John

space_weaseal,
I'm very familiar with Matagorda beach. Ever consider taking a boat to the other side river/canal and hunting that most likely virgin beach?

If you want a hunting buddy to tackle that land in Hallettsville let me know. So far I've just been hitting schools, parks, and tot lots in apt. complexes. My second trip to the beach was a complete failure, and I'm thinking about waiting until I get a beach capable machine before going back and discouraging myself further.

mcdoogal,
Where do you hunt? 5am is a little early, but I'd be willing to meet up someplace. I'd like to find some parks and stuff Downtown to hunt. That would be a good halfway point to meet up.

Houston MD vets,
Are there ANY silver coins to be found in Houston? lol I've been patently waiting and digging and checking dates, but so far I have zero silver coins and only one wheat penny.(the wheat was a surface find not even under the grass roots yet)

I have found a few quarters and dimes from the late 60's and I have two 40's nickels so far. Most of the stuff I dig is from the 80's-90's.

Houston city parks are off limits. County parks are a go.

Matagorda beach was a confederate outpost around Caney Creek off what is now 457. There is a historical marker there. No metal detecting around those in Texas. Plenty of old places to detect though.

Look up member GrumpySRB, he has a Brazoria county club, not to far from Houston.

Being that Brazoria was the first capitol of Texas, you have an exciting area to hunt.

Houston city parks are off limits. County parks are a go.

WHOA THERE....

Houston CITY parks are a go, county parks are strictly off limits.

Please review your sources. I would suggest starting by looking up the county park regulations.

Section 15 in particular
https://www.harriscountytx.gov/docs/parkregulations.pdf

Fort Bend or other surrounding counties may be different... I suggest you research a bit more.

City of Houston parks are open to metal detecting. But have been pretty much blasted to death lately.

WHOA THERE....

Houston CITY parks are a go, county parks are strictly off limits.

Please review your sources. I would suggest starting by looking up the county park regulations.

Section 15 in particular
https://www.harriscountytx.gov/docs/parkregulations.pdf

Fort Bend or other surrounding counties may be different... I suggest you research a bit more.

City of Houston parks are open to metal detecting. But have been pretty much blasted to death lately.

Okay, I'll stand corrected. I know they are posted on the Montgomery (Spring, TX) group forum. At a loss to find it now. :shock:

BTW, I wasn't trying to be rude. I purposefully didn't pose the actual rules here, as I think it's always better suited for people to learn by reading the facts on their own.

There are forums... and I am sure I know which one you're referring to that sometimes have a lot of misinformation, and often in this hobby I think it's purposefully done as those people think they can keep the goodies for themselves. :p

BTW, I wasn't trying to be rude. I purposefully didn't pose the actual rules here, as I think it's always better suited for people to learn by reading the facts on their own.

There are forums... and I am sure I know which one you're referring to that sometimes have a lot of misinformation, and often in this hobby I think it's purposefully done as those people think they can keep the goodies for themselves. :p

No worries. I don't take anything personal. Just glad to see the right info posted, even when it means I'm wrong. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom