First venture into the water with CZ21

rob.ream258

Elite Member
ok.. I'm a noob in the water been in the dirt for over 6 years. Just got the CZ for about a month ago... been to the beach several times in only ankle deep or so ..... storms/rough weather every weekend kept me out of the water...

waves at medium....
no cuts...
no signals...
no clue....

In waist deep water I hit a signal..... have a T-Rex scoop that can eat through anything but I needed a third hand..... do people let go of the machine and use 2 hands to scoop or manage with just one??? Anyways....managed with one hand to fight the waves and dig.... the signal was about a foot down...... pull tab ring... success - managed to locate and fight the surf to recover my first signal...

sanded in.........??? what is that???.... that the reason for no signals???

hit the edge of the surf by a slight drop off (6-12 inches) where the shells were gathering but only found a couple pieces of can slaw...... good spot to hit....???

managed a few quarters in the dry stuff before going home....

I'm heading to the beach in s month or so with the atpro. I'm assuming I won't find much but corona caps, but all the gold posted keeps my hopes alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One handed scooping, you will get used to it. You will get used to telling conditions, soft sand bad, nice tough bottom great, etc...

If your hitting flip tops a foot down it's time to find a new spot. If aluminum is sinking 12" How deep do you think gold is sitting?

Not even sure how I would use two hands to scoop since one hand seems so natural. So yes one handed scoop. Learn how to do it well on the beach then venture in the water.

The further you go in the water the cleaner (less signals) you should get. This is because people are not dropping their daily foil wrappers/etc there so its usually more clean.

Also learn to position yourself so waves are not going to knock you over.

Otherwise have fun. You will learn the terrain after a while. I wouldnt really try to go in the water unless it was flat. Even knee high waves are a royal pain.

Far less targets in the water than one will find on the dry sand and most of the wet sand.

I do not get caolm water very often to the point that I can get more than waist deep. Yes even in waist deep water I sometimes get knocked down by a rogue wave. The further into the water one gets the fewer the number of targets.

Your feet and your scoop will tell you what the condition of the sand is. The harder the sand the more likely you will find decent targets. The Soft sand allows good targets to sink beyond the depth that your detector can see.

Well, good luck Brother...I supersize with you...Water/beach hunting for gold is about the Worst genre this sport affords!...A guy would be better off clad slamming parks and totters! If a guy started out as a beachie/waterbaby with assumption of finding riches, you dont last for long....It is just so damn hard physically! Discouragement! You need specialized equipment, ample free parking, a really rabid commitment to success...even then, no guarantees for finds or a break even ROI!....

Besides the effort, Its like the damndest negative amount of ROI effort and money expenditure for the payoff potential in this Sport!...Its super hard and strenuous on a guy...I actually hate every minute of it, and have done ample posts on this regards......Yet out there I go, year after year...waders, wetsuit, or in shorts for maybe one ping/mile? ...

I dont know why I do it?...Its a problem....At least up here I get 10c per empty can, and the towels trade for a good amount at the Wifes Garage sale per season...plus 25c/ hotwheel car...definitely the big easy money from an ROI perspective in this Sport is hunting clad in the neighborhood dirt parks and totters...

sanded in in its simplest form is when the tides pushes up an extra layer of sand . Scoop with one arm. Try knee deep at best until your comfortable with you technique. The deeper you go the harder the recovery can be. Pay attention to the tide charts , low tide can open up areas that are out of your comfort zone.

I also forgot here in Florida return on investment can be quite good.

The dry sand often produces many coins and few rings.
In the water however you are much more likely to find rings.

Depending where you are there usually less people hunting in the water.

You have a distinct advantage over others that cant go in the water.
Maximize this advantage. Persistence and patience pay off

I have the CTX hooked to a AR15 sling so I just let go of the machine. I have a eye bolt on the top of the shaft of my 720i and a rope around my wriest. There is a swimming noodle about 3 feet dome the handle that way the handle floats. I use two hands to dig. Like Mud said it makes for a hard day, but once you start it is hard to stay out of the water.

THANK YOU ALL - I'm really over my head at the moment with a ton to learn...

If your hitting flip tops a foot down it's time to find a new spot. If aluminum is sinking 12" How deep do you think gold is sitting?

yep - not too concerned since it was quite crusty and down there a while - great info to keep in the back of my mind when get more hours under my belt

Yes one handed scoop.
Also learn to position yourself so waves are not going to knock you over.

got it!

Your feet and your scoop will tell you what the condition of the sand is. The harder the sand the more likely you will find decent targets. The Soft sand allows good targets to sink beyond the depth that your detector can see.

great info

A guy would be better off clad slamming parks and totters! It is just so damn hard physically!

Sorry Mud - not here in PCB the parks/tot lots are hit almost daily - way too many people have MD's - can't even make the gas money - beaches are also hit hard but we have a TON of beach

Physical - OMG after day 1 I took a Flexerpill just so my back wouldn't spasm and ruin day 2.

sanded in in its simplest form is when the tides pushes up an extra layer of sand . Scoop with one arm. Try knee deep at best until your comfortable with you technique. The deeper you go the harder the recovery can be. Pay attention to the tide charts , low tide can open up areas that are out of your comfort zone.

Great info - thanks

You have a distinct advantage over others that cant go in the water.
Maximize this advantage. Persistence and patience pay off

Absolutely - I tried hitting the dry stuff first before the hoards came and then moved to the water.....

eye bolt on the top of the shaft and a rope around my waist

thinking about it - 1rst time out a rouge wave crashed the beach and tried to steal my machine...

There are ergonomic handles that you can add to the shaft of your scoop. It comes out at nearly a 90 degree angle and you can one handedly pull and lift the scoop. On eBay they're $10-$20.

Also if you haven't, add a strong magnet to the bowl of your scoop. It will grab bobby pins and small pieces of iron that might slip through the holes. Nothing more aggravating than having to find the same target over and over.

Also if you haven't, add a strong magnet to the bowl of your scoop. It will grab bobby pins and small pieces of iron that might slip through the holes. Nothing more aggravating than having to find the same target over and over.

Duuuuude! I thought I saw what looked like hard drive magnets in all these water-hunter guys' pics of their scoops and I was thinking, 'what the heck is up with that?!'

Several months later and now I finally understand! Arigato yo! Whenever I finally become a bona fide water hunter I will do just that!

Not going to question a man that's found 16 gold fty and it's only May. Amazon Prime - should have it in my hands on Friday just in time for 5pm low tides......

Its a good read but doesn't help you as much hunting florida. We are in survival mode on the east side. All my beaches have had sand pumped in. We are really looking more for recent drops on the east side right now. A quarter dropped yesterday in the water wont likely be reached by shallow depth detectors the next day. You just got to keep digging.

One of my best water spots last hunt only had two signals. And one of them was iron:shock: Learn to dig with one hand and hold the detector with one hand. And be prepared to live to hunt another day and dump all your equipment if you get in trouble. Water is dangerous. We just had someone else finally float to shore after drowning days ago.

Even west coast Florida water hunters will get confused how to hunt the Florida east coast. And east coast hunters will get confused how to hunt the west coast. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Its a great book. You will find yourself reading again and again. While detecting the tips just pop in your head. :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That's great...just bought it off of ebay for a few buck cheaper but cant wait!!! I need all the help I can get in the drink!!

Duuuuude! I thought I saw what looked like hard drive magnets in all these water-hunter guys' pics of their scoops and I was thinking, 'what the heck is up with that?!'

Several months later and now I finally understand! Arigato yo! Whenever I finally become a bona fide water hunter I will do just that!

In a trashy world scoop magnets make life easier, Surfhopper! . . awise.jpg

rs3 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom