I can't believe it! Finally an old coin, my best find ever!

Utahoutdoors

Sorry for the long post but I am just too excited to keep it short.

Ok now to most of you guys and gals this is not too exciting, but after two years and thousands of holes, what popped out tonight blew me away!

To qualify this find, let me say I've found several gold rings and jewelry and over 30 silver jewelry items, but old coins are what I most want and for the most part I have been a huge failure at finding them. It took me almost two years to find my first silver coin, a dumb war nickel last month, and then I found a toasted black 1943 merc at the lake a couple of weeks ago, but other than a handful of 1920s-1940s wheat pennies that's it!

To feel better about my inability to dig 100+ year old coins I blamed my entry level equipment, so I was saving up for a V3i, but could not wait so on impulse I bought an AT Pro two weeks ago at a local shop figuring I want to hunt water this summer anyways and I started to doubt my ability to learn how to maximize the Whites.

I have been regretting this purchase the whole time because my ATPro has been going crazy with false signals and 80 high tones everywhere that when pinpointed vanished. Tonight I figured it out why, the male end of both coils was hanging up in the detector connection meaning I never had the coils connected right. I feel so stupid! Tonight out of total frustration I jammed and cranked on the silver ring and it finally slid in. Wow what a difference! I LOVE THIS DETECTOR NOW!

With my new found confidence and a machine that was stable and actually beeping on metal items I headed over to the new two year old splash pad to find some gold? After a few clad coins and small pocket spill I found a small 925 earring, my first with the Pro, then a junk toe ring! Things were looking up! My next signal was a nickel one foot away from the edge of the new cement. The machine said it was down 6 inches. Not expecting much due to fact that the grass is new and the park gets detected way hard, I dug a plug and found this:

1901 V Nickel!!! I could not believe it! How it managed to end up where it was and not be dug where everyone spread their towels out is beyond me.

I can't explain how a coin worth so little in actual value means so much to me! In life, the real value of something is determined by the amount of work and time that goes into it. I guess the countless hours I've spent trying to figure out where and how to find old coins, makes this almost worthless coin so special to me. I've bought lots of V nickels but this one is priceless to me. I guess my lack of success finding old coins has motivated me to keep trying harder and this is the reward!

Here is the rest of my finds from tonight.

Thanks for looking and I'm sorry for the overly long post! I love detecting and can't wait to see what else the ATPro can do! I am amazed at how tiny of signals this thing can find as is evident by the size of the things I found in the totlot!

The numismatic value on most all of my coin finds is zero the feeling I get when I find them is priceless. Don't knock entry level detectors I found a 1864 2 cent piece with a Whites Prizm 3. It was at 3-4 inches. They say most of the best finds are less than 6 inches deep.

Took me almost a week to realize my F2 coil went out a couple years ago and I was so frustrated because I thought it was me the whole time.

Glad you got that ATP dialed. You will LOVE it. I know I do

Excellent find! You will love the Atpro, it eats up silver. I found a Gw, A Barber quarter and a merc this evening with mine. it did take five hours and having unhunted old streets is a key factor.

Nice job on the first old coin. Keep at it, dig those deep signals and there will be more to come. The key to finding old coins is putting yourself in places where old coins would have been dropped. Combine that with a knowledge of your equipment and your on your way to many more. Congratulations.

P.s. Suspending that nickel in worcestershire sauce will get rid of the red corrosion.

Glad to hear you figured out the atpro problem,You will love the machine!!!:yes:
Congrats on the coin! I still haven't found an oldie after 4years!:congras:

Back
Top Bottom