Using finds to date a dig

Jo ann

Elite Member
Hi everyone, I'm back :D, In a wee corner of my property I found this shot gun headstamp, used, with magnifying glass I was able to make out enough detail to find it is a Winchester 12 Nublack 1905-1938, a couple of feet away found the Vintage tin toy fork and part of a cup 1940's or earlier it says Made in USA.
This is somewhat same area that I found the coal cart tag, and a vintage military buckle. so I'm at level of 1935-1945, of a family that mined coal, had a shot gun someone served his country and at least one child female, oh and drank beer, even though I don't find anything valuable here, it is interesting to find some history.

album.php

Last edited:
There's a guy in England who finds flax seals (left behind from when the fields were harvested to show which laborer had cut which sheaf of hay or wheat..

This guy has the dates of the harvest, the name of the labourer, the fact most laborers were in the late 18th century in Britain of Russian decent and the year of each harvest, the supervisors name....as full an account of late 18th century farming...the fields done, the amount done in each field.

Some finds give a tiny piece of the puzzle that is history of that place that we didn't know..this guy has found almost 1000 flax seals and with each one finds slightly more out about a place....its riveting when you can find out that much from the things people didn't find, didn't care to find and yet are so important to our past

That is why I never quit detecting my own small yard. I seem to always find something that tells me some history. A simple square nail can be an exciting find. GL and HH. Matt
Hi everyone, I'm back :D, In a wee corner of my property I found this shot gun headstamp, used, with magnifying glass I was able to make out enough detail to find it is a Winchester 12 Nublack 1905-1938, a couple of feet away found the Vintage tin toy fork and part of a cup 1940's or earlier it says Made in USA.
This is somewhat same area that I found the coal cart tag, and a vintage military buckle. so I'm at level of 1935-1945, of a family that mined coal, had a shot gun someone served his country and at least one child female, oh and drank beer, even though I don't find anything valuable here, it is interesting to find some history.

album.php

There's a guy in England who finds flax seals (left behind from when the fields were harvested to show which laborer had cut which sheaf of hay or wheat..

This guy has the dates of the harvest, the name of the labourer, the fact most laborers were in the late 18th century in Britain of Russian decent and the year of each harvest, the supervisors name....as full an account of late 18th century farming...the fields done, the amount done in each field.

Some finds give a tiny piece of the puzzle that is history of that place that we didn't know..this guy has found almost 1000 flax seals and with each one finds slightly more out about a place....its riveting when you can find out that much from the things people didn't find, didn't care to find and yet are so important to our past

Now that is interesting, I wouldn't know if there are any account records, I have heard how some workers would switch out the tags and put their own tags on, among other dark & immoral stuff, we do have a museum of the mining in the area, so I'll see if I can find records,

White man didn't arrive here to settle until the late 1700 early 1800, & my exact area a bit later, all where poor except, less than a handful and the poverty continued for many generations til today. I do enjoy the people that pass by and stop and talk about the history and maybe what their fathers or grandfathers found metal detecting.

Women detectors are still an obscene no no around here and I'm subjected to old biddy's gossiping and shunning, yet, some young women do stop and shyly swing my detector for a while with big smiles on their faces.

The children, I give them turns with my pinpointer to find what I dig up, after they get permission from their parents, wish I had a spare detector.

So, I end up more of a tour guide to the tourist, talking history, telling them direction, and even wave to them every time the coal train goes by & a teacher for the children, which keeps me safer (not always safe to detect alone) & contributes to the community, (I don't get paid!!)

Also, it freaks me out BAD when I find dark stuff like old iron chains that look like prison or slave stuff, but most likely part of the mines or cattle slaughter-don't know, or when I find gang or feud related stuff, bullets, etc.

If it doesn't look shinny I pray that it's not a buried gun, I did find a whole square nail, it is machine cut, dates back to the start of the community, so that was cool, and another place found a few Wheaties, so those are happier finds.

Some people get suspicious or angry to see someone digging up the past.
Yet, I make sure I'm dressed clean, make-up and even have my nails done under the gloves, this helps people accept me being among them in the parks.

Ok way toooo much information, blame it on the coffee, but I'm leaving it as is incase others can relate.

That is why I never quit detecting my own small yard. I seem to always find something that tells me some history. A simple square nail can be an exciting find. GL and HH. Matt

Absolutely, I have the bug, so, making it a game of history than finding treasure, keeps me going, and keeps me somewhat active outdoors which I love, the best ones besides a silver or gold, is finding a mystery that takes research that results in history of a place.

I've been trying to do the same thing. The oldest map of my area I could find that shows dwellings is from 1935. I've been searching some old homesites hoping to find one that dated back to the 1800's. Have been using the bottoms to broken jars/bottles and plates to help me narrow down the date. So far most of them appear to have been built in the early 1900's and abandoned in the mid to late 30's. Found a child's stirrup at one site, leads me to believe they had children. Found several depression era silver plated jewelry items, and lots of other ornate stuff at different site. I get the impression that family had more money than the others due to the items found. Also have noticed the further away from a major town I get, the less "fancy" stuff I find. Guess most of them in the rural areas were poor farmers. To me digging the stuff isn't the only fun part, but learning about the items and history is part of it as well. I've become educated about all sorts of things via this hobby. :yes:

Sounds like your community started about the same as mine, coal is what established this area, or should I say greed, of which most of the money even to this day go out of state, keeping poverty levels some of the highest in the USA, yet making millionaires even billionaires for a few people out of states, even going overseas, leaving the community in very poor condition for many generations, so unless it's been lost in that last 30years, there is only history here, much of it is black as the coal mines, And you are right, the further from the first few blocks of city established, the less wealth.

I didn't like history in school, it just didn't interest me, but, with a metal detector, history has become an interest, I guess I needed motivation.

Back
Top Bottom