which would you choose?

dogpound

THE JUICE
Forum Supporter
i'm shoppin for a shovel for the woods, i want something light and easy ta carry so i've narrowed it down to the Lesche 28" T handled ground shark or the Sampson 31" T handled serrated....... between those 2 which would you choose? and why?

I have the Sampson serrated 31" T-handled, Its a great shovel & well worth the money...
I use mine in farm fields & woods...

AndrewJames has both..

i'm shoppin for a shovel for the woods, i want something light and easy ta carry so i've narrowed it down to the Lesche 28" T handled ground shark or the Sampson 31" T handled serrated....... between those 2 which would you choose? and why?

That is a very TOUGH call.. I have never used either. I have handled both as Andrew owns them, but I use a Ames Trench shovel - $19.99 at Home Depot.. :cool:

Like Terry, I use an Ames shovel, but a different one. I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...3&langId=-1&keyword=ames+shovel&storeId=10051 I actually picked it up at Ollies for 8 bucks, along with one of those Ames hand spades for 2 bucks..

I have cut serrations on both sides with a die grinder, and then put an edge on both sides after with a blending wheel. Works great, and gets through roots like a champ.

I like the Sampson. That is what I used that day we met at the church grove. It is small and only twice as wide as a lesche digger. You can get away with using it more places. Not so offending to the eye. I also got the ball so I could put it in a hammer holder upside down to carry. But I just carry it in my left hand. DirtAngler and I tell each other all the time that we dig nicer plugs with the Sampson than a hand digger. Ask yourself how deep were those coppers you dug? The Sampson is all you need. And it can also be used to defend yourself or smack a dog in the ass. I will tell you that you need to watch your detector closely. More dents and screen stabs are caused by diggers than anything else.

Last edited:
thanks for everyones opinion, i'll be ordering the Sampson tonight :yes:

I would say drop those 2 and go for a raven or piranha they look sweet:cool:

I am 51 years old, used a shovel like this for everything like shoveling sh@t on the farm to burying cats/dogs ...... just not a long enough handle on it to make it useful/deep enough for a Tesoro detector

Attachments

• Shovel-pic.jpg
    Shovel-pic.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 332
my 31" T handled sampson serrated shovel came in the mail today......super fast shipping from NED, this shovel looks mean and will work great :yes:

No, get the Raven, it's amazing! I chose it because I love the Lesche's serrated side. The Raven has the dual serrated sides!

good choice pound

the 31 T Sampson is the lightest and best out of all 4 shovel's ,2 are the 31T Love them,Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 253
No, get the Raven, it's amazing! I chose it because I love the Lesche's serrated side. The Raven has the dual serrated sides!

where were ya 2 weeks ago with this advice :lol: i got the 31" sampson and it works great in the woods, i was lookin for something lightweight and with not too long of a handle, basically something easy ta carry. its got the serrations on the one edge but i may add more on the other side. so far i really like it and it hacks thru roots with ease

Back
Top Bottom