Hunting Virgin CW Ground

DelcoDigger

Howdy folks. I’ve got permission to detect a 28 acre site that is VERY close to a civil war battlefield. It’s never been touched, other than during deer season for bow hunting, and does have a creek running through as well.

I’m a bit nervous, because hunters in SE Pa have been known to break a rule or two and start a month early. What have you all done to make yourselves safe in this situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You think its virgin, relic hunters are known to break a rule or two :lol:
Wear orange.

Maybe you just need someone to watch over your back. I’m just a little west of Philadelphia. Get back to me if you need “ Protection “

Howdy folks. I’ve got permission to detect a 28 acre site that is VERY close to a civil war battlefield. It’s never been touched, other than during deer season for bow hunting, and does have a creek running through as well.

I’m a bit nervous, because hunters in SE Pa have been known to break a rule or two and start a month early. What have you all done to make yourselves safe in this situation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look at the statistics and determine getting shot by a hunter is a negligible chance. So I throw on any colored shirt that's not brown or black and just go for it.

Hunting in PA has a very good safety record due to the mandatory Hunter safety courses.

Any time I am out in hunting territory I wear the same Mandatory Florescent Orange that hunters are required to wear.

"must continue to wear, at all times, 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined, visible 360 degrees."

Hunting safety vests and hats are sold everywhere there is any hunting equipment sold.
Get them and wear it.

Ya know if your that worried wear orange or wait for spring. I am a hunter of 50 years and am sick of people insinuating “ hunters have been known to break a few rules” . Everyone in life “breaks a few rules “including metal detectorists. Myself and many friends and family hunt and your chance of being harmed by a hunter are well less than being eaten by a shark. If your that paranoid metal detect in your back yard.

You think its virgin, relic hunters are known to break a rule or two :lol: ... .

Ha ! I was wondering how delco-digger figured it was virgin. Most likely because that's what someone there probably told him.

But ya never know if someone else in the family said "ok" to a past request. Or a prior owner. Or ... yes .... someone might have just "helped themselves". :roll:

I have had people on site, at various places, say "No one's ever md'd here before". Yet I know for a fact that it's not true. And not simply because of fence-hoppers. Often time because whomever-you're-talking to is simply unaware of a caretaker or farm-hand who says "ok" to their buddy. Or a prior owner said "ok", etc....

Wear bright colors and have at it! My experience is .... Virginia + Civil War + Detecting = Someone has already broke the rules! But ... they never get everything so hit it hard and have fun! If you need some backup from some SE PA boys just let us know! :D

when its your time, time is up. don't live paranoid but do live responsibly. we were all told growing up learning to drive, that you have to drive for the other people too. just wear orange, hunt with a partner, make noise etc. and yes i do know personally some sneak hunters that a sign "No Trespassing" means "There must be something to find " and "Posted" means oh heck yea we gonna hunt! and that's gun and bow hunters and metal detectorists.

Basically the human race is the top of the food chain so to speak. but human. they do things they know they should not. as a retired cop i worked quite a lot of stray bullet strikes in houses, to cars, business roofs in the heart of town that a projectile fired up in the air like the mideast hooligans do, what goes up comes down somewhere....

i have encountered trespassers, irresponsible hunters poaching, metal detectorist on lands with no permission. seen a lot.

a responsible hunter like Gaspipe is no threat... but a poacher is. but even accidents happen. i do remember years back a detectorist in the Carolinas on this forum, hunting on a permission, was shot by a kid poaching turkeys without permission. the overshot killed the bird but went thru the bushes hitting the Mder. the kid grabbed the turkey and ran off, leaving the md'er horribly wounded. . fortunately he struggled to his vehicle and made it to a hospital with a chest and lungs full of turkey shot. i read several years later a kid confessed. God was not ready for the Md'er to die.

so this answer is of both sides. responsible hunters and responsible Md"ers doing what they are supposed to is not a danger or a crime. its the others that are both.

i do say there is safety in numbers. i have personally helped carry a friend from a woods river hunt that got into breathing distress, not knowing he had underlying issues that were life threatening. he sold his detector, it was that bad.. exertion brought it to the surface. hunt with a friend when isolated.

Back
Top Bottom