Budget pinpointer?

I agree, get a good one the first time or you'll pay the same amount or more for ones that will aggravate you. If you can't afford a new one, look in the classifieds for a used one.

Cliff

OK, you all are going to think I'm nuts, but I like this little gadget for close in work. My Garrett Z Lynk works fine although it eats 9 Volts. It has a bit of a personality sometimes and I sometimes like a second opinion. This little device is for nearby stuff, working inside of maybe 5 inches along two tool surfaces, the tip as a pinpointer and the sides as a wider scan. It lights up to signal target locations. It isn't as rugged as the Carrot and not for moving dirt around. Oh yeah! It also works fine as an excellent studfinder (nails) and for pipes and electrical cable. My one suggestion with it is to seal the plastic handle mating surfaces with glue to keep out water, mud, grit and grime. It works off a trigger button on the handle, which is sometimes a bit awkward, so I'm going to rig a system to keep the trigger depressed as an "always on" option to make it more flexible to use in tight holes. It lets you know quickly when something is very close to the surface. Price isn't to bad either. It also uses 9 Volts. Who knew Zircon was making metal detectorists' hardware? Now slipping out the backdoor to avoid rotten tomatoes and eggs from gear purists! Maybe everyone here is already aware of this and I'm being Captain Obvious!:holycow::jawdrop:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zircon-M...=sem&msclkid=42be9f1924101d46c597c05b754771f2

A good quality pp will start at around $75. Makro, Nokta and Mars for example. Less expensive ones will work but won't perform as well and their reliability and warranty are questionable at best.

Any suggestions on a budget pinpointer that’s decent?

What's your budget?

My goto for a "better than nothing" pinpointer is the Harbor Freight CenTech $15. Might get an inch, inch and a half on coins. Might last a few months before the power button gets squirrely. There are how-to posts here on fixing/optimizing them.

I'd recommend against the bounty hunter pinpointer and the fisher clone of it. Decent build quality but the range (not much better than the centech) sucks for the price. Sadly this is the one I see most often in big box stores.

I stayed with the hobby and eventually ponied up for the White's TRX. I like the depth of 4+ inches. Sometimes it gets chirpy, but power off power on clears it up.

Nobody ever agrees with me, but the Fisher F-point was a great first pinpointer. In fact, I liked mine so much that when I lost it, I bought another (I think it was Bounty Hunter but it’s the same thing). It’s simple as heck and really rugged, in my opinion. A lot of folks complain it doesn't “have the depth” but to me, that's crazy talk. It’s a pinpointer not a detector. I personally like that I have to get close to the object while standing, do it correctly. That said, I now run a Minelab but I wouldn't hesitate to run the cheaper unit again. Not at all.

Budget pinpointer here :D

Nobody ever agrees with me, but the Fisher F-point was a great first pinpointer. In fact, I liked mine so much that when I lost it, I bought another (I think it was Bounty Hunter but it’s the same thing). It’s simple as heck and really rugged, in my opinion. A lot of folks complain it doesn't “have the depth” but to me, that's crazy talk. It’s a pinpointer not a detector. I personally like that I have to get close to the object while standing, do it correctly. That said, I now run a Minelab but I wouldn't hesitate to run the cheaper unit again. Not at all.

I love my Fisher F-Pulse. It is incredibly deep and has been very reliable.

Edit: I just realized there is such a thing as a Fisher F-point which I have no experience with. But I highly recommend the Fisher F-Pulse

The GP Pointer (Not Garrett Pro Pointer, it's just called the "GP Pointer)
https://www.amazon.com/gp-pointer/s?k=gp+pointer
It's a knockoff of the Garrett Pro Pointer.

GP Pointer 2 is reportedly better and waterproof. Super pleased with mine and even sold my others including TRX, F-Pulse. Not for everybody, and F-Pulse was the highest quality of any I used.

It can be found under Shrxy pinpointer on Amazon, and it's the one closer to $30, not the cheaper original GP. Who knows if it'll hold up but will take the chance for the price. Will gladly water test mine and do some hard use tests as well.

Any suggestions on a budget pinpointer that’s decent?

I have a Compadre AND a GP pinpointer and it's sufficient, as usually it's just a matter of an object turning sideways. My dream would be to have either an f pulse or tekpointer, but the GP fulfills its purpose.

Either you don't know what a pinpointer does or you somehow got lucky with yours.

Or maybe I got a lemon. It was impossible to get the right spot on the knob where it wouldn't false, but still detect any metal. Unless you were digging up something the size of a large a belt buckle or intact soda can, it wouldn't go off unless the tip was actually touching the metal object.

Either you don't know what a pinpointer does or you somehow got lucky with yours.

Or maybe I got a lemon. It was impossible to get the right spot on the knob where it wouldn't false, but still detect any metal. Unless you were digging up something the size of a large a belt buckle or intact soda can, it wouldn't go off unless the tip was actually touching the metal object.

See, I think the opposite. By nature, the word PINpointer says it all. It isn’t supposed to be deep, it’s not the detector. I do most my “find it” pinpointing with the coil, so that by the time I dig the plug I’m within centimeters of the item. All ya truly need is a quarter inch or so. But that is just my take.

See, I think the opposite. By nature, the word PINpointer says it all. It isn’t supposed to be deep, it’s not the detector. I do most my “find it” pinpointing with the coil, so that by the time I dig the plug I’m within centimeters of the item. All ya truly need is a quarter inch or so. But that is just my take.

Really? I hear a beep with my detector, then dig the plug. I then search the plug and the hole (about 6 to 8 inches wide) for the target, not knowing where it could be. I need a lot more sensitivity than 1/4 of an inch. I've seen plenty of videos on Youtube University and my style and technique isn't much different than what I see. I know I could probably improve my pinpointing technique with my metal detector, but not by that much.

And even if 1/4 of an inch should be enough, my F-point or w/e POS it's called wouldn't go off until it was TOUCHING the metal object. Then there's the issue of getting the knob situated just right and not bumping it while using the pinpointer.

You are right. It is YOUR take. I don't know anyone else that would be satisfied with a pinpointer that only works at 1/4" or less.

Cliff

OK well, sorry everyone lol. I just do things differently. Don't burn me at the stake for not being lazy.

OK well, sorry everyone lol. I just do things differently. Don't burn me at the stake for not being lazy.

I'm not annoyed or upset with how you hunt. I'm just in disbelief that you're able to do it with a pinpointer that performs the way you describe.

And it's not about laziness or work ethic. It's about saving time.

Save your money up and buy a good pinpointer. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV that came with that F pulse pinpointer or whatever it’s called. It was truly awful. I almost immediately ordered a Garrett carrot and it was an instant game changer. Even using a cheaper detector you’ll find lots of stuff to dig, but without a decent pinpointer you’ll waste a ton of time looking for stuff in the hole. You will appreciate a quality pinpointer instantly.

Save your money up and buy a good pinpointer. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV that came with that F pulse pinpointer or whatever it’s called. It was truly awful. I almost immediately ordered a Garrett carrot and it was an instant game changer. Even using a cheaper detector you’ll find lots of stuff to dig, but without a decent pinpointer you’ll waste a ton of time looking for stuff in the hole. You will appreciate a quality pinpointer instantly.

This.

Back
Top Bottom