Does useing headphones really pick up tones that you wouldn't hear without headphones?

TN_INDIAN

Forum Supporter
I'm still a newbie and just wondered does headphones enable you to hear tones from detector that if u didn't have headphones you would miss? Only experience with f2 and never used phones and have heard many deep faint signals without useing phones.

It also keep people from sending their dogs out after you.

You can hear more IF your detector is built to do that. Many many detectors are setup to amplify anything to an audio level you can hear easily.

Otherwise, it is a matter of where you are hunting. Next to a road - might want those earphones. Out in the woods when it is 95 degrees - maybe you don't need the phones if they are contributing towards heat fatigue.

I tend to hunt with phones 95% of the time or more. I have poor hearing and I also don't want to annoy anyone. It was also mentioned that it will save your batteries - I think you'll use your batteries at least 50% faster while using the speaker; recently forgot to take my headphones with me and flat-out drained a fairly new pair of 9v batteries.

Yes for me. My hearings bad and without headphones I would have to turn the threshold way up to hear those faint signals. Plus it keeps my ears warm.

Id say yes..I use them..(unless broken:wow:) for me it just lets me hear the initial hits from edge of targets(trash areas esp.)

Ok you guys have me sold I'm Getten some headphones after x mas. I'm thinking wireless headphones is better without the cord what u guys think?

I have used headphones and you will be able to concentrate more on your targets but the only thing i like on my head is my hat,can't stand those dang things over my ears,Now as far as battery life while using them,i can't see any difference in the drain on my batteries at all,using them or not.

Since I switched to using headphones I found that the individual volume adjustments per ear were being changed by my knit cap or hoodie. I used a small piece of gaffer tape to lock each volume adjustment down to my comfort level.

I now use headphones all the time and am happy to do so!

I hunted most of the summer without them and found a lot of stuff and wondered why everyone talked so much about using headphones, til I tried hunting with them once and honestly it did make quite a difference! My batteries did seem to last a lot longer and I have a spot that I thought was hunted out, the last few hunts at it yielded only some pennies and a dime or two, hunted with phones and found over a dollar in clad at spots that I went over multiple times and gridded out!!! It seems that the sounds are a lot more clear with headphones, a signal that sounded junky without them sounded pretty good with them on. So needless to say next summer I won't hunt without headphones!! I do need a good pair though that are made for detecting cause I ruined two pairs in a month:shock:!! Only thing I don't like is pulling them off my head by accident when I go to dig a target haha!!

i never hunt without headphones, easier ta hear faint targets do to background noise (passing cars, dogs barking, birds chirping, waves crashing on the beach...etc)

Ok you guys have me sold I'm Getten some headphones after x mas. I'm thinking wireless headphones is better without the cord what u guys think?

i've been runnin wireless for a couple years now and won't use anything else, its soo nice not being tethered on a cord

Absolutely

Always use them . The ones I use keep out all outside noise. The deep targets are sometimes faint. Sometimes just the slightest change in threshold is worth investigating. Headphones allows you to hear these slightest changes. The machine I use has multi tones. The change in tones are also easier to hear.

How about headphone on the ACE 250 or 350?

Curious if anyone has used headphones on a Garrett ACE? I have a 250 and 350 but never thought there was much change in the tone on my MD's I do hear a little, anyone know if headphones will help with these detectors?

The batteries in my wireless headphones died the other day and I didn't have backups so I kept hunting. What I realized is that the speaker in the detector CAN NOT keep up with the changing tones of masked targets! The thing freaks out! I was kind of mad at myself because it took me almost a year to start using my headphones!!! Ohhhhh the things I have missed!!!

And like Fred Sanford said there is ALMOST no way you will hear that slight change in threshold without them!!

My V3i has a mixed mode stereo mode and it just DOESN'T work without the headphones. When I first tried it I thought there was WAY too much noise. But after sticking with it for awhile I realized that I was actually hearing the iron, the good and the threshold all at once. What an AMAZING difference it has made with my finds!!

Curious if anyone has used headphones on a Garrett ACE? I have a 250 and 350 but never thought there was much change in the tone on my MD's I do hear a little, anyone know if headphones will help with these detectors?

I always use mine on the ACE350. They seem to help discriminate the small tone changes in the audio and also help filter out any outside noise such as nearby traffic and other annoying noises. With the headphones on, I can tell the difference between a zinc penney and a real copper. Nickels also make a more distinctive tone.

Back
Top Bottom