How many pounds of lead do you guys on the coasts dig?

North☆Star

Elite Member
You guys on the coast seem to dig some serious lead. I was curious if any of you keep track of it and how many pounds you collect in an average year.

I'm up to 63 pounds for the year... I'm sure I will add to that total tomorrow... ;)

I am not on the coast but I can give ANY coastie a run for their money in lead. I don't normally take pictures of any of it but I can pick up 60 - 200lbs of lead a dive. I put it in a bucket at the end of a rope along the seawall and I have fishermen or my brothers son help pull it up. I can sell a 2lb lead sinker for 1.50 and make some pretty good gas money doing it.

I hunt the coast and don't dig squat in lead...it sinks way to fast. We have guessed and came up with a number on the hardpan, maybe 12 to 20 feet. The calmer waters of the bay maybe at 30 pounds now.......less sand...different base.
They have a fish tournament next week in OC MD Atlantic coast lets see how much comes up.......

I am not on the coast but I can give ANY coastie a run for their money in lead. I don't normally take pictures of any of it but I can pick up 60 - 200lbs of lead a dive. I put it in a bucket at the end of a rope along the seawall and I have fishermen or my brothers son help pull it up. I can sell a 2lb lead sinker for 1.50 and make some pretty good gas money doing it.

:shock::shock::shock:

I hunt the coast and don't dig squat in lead...it sinks way to fast. We have guessed and came up with a number on the hardpan, maybe 12 to 20 feet. The calmer waters of the bay maybe at 30 pounds now.......less sand...different base.
They have a fish tournament next week in OC MD Atlantic coast lets see how much comes up.......

Is it common for the hardpan to be that deep?

Its funny, some days I'll did a bunch and then nothing for a couple of weeks. depends on the sand. I'd say 15-20 lbs a year if that

This place is the wet sand capital of the world, you can stand in one place and your feet sink down about 4 to 5 inch's with in 30 seconds on the slopes. I don't believe it is common but what does stop some treasure is there are different layers of shells and small pebbles. When you start seeing them you know there is going to be some goods...but I would say in the 7 years I have been hunting there, part time I have only dug one sinker...

To make matters worse they just replenished the beach this spring...

And one reason we think the number is so big is because they just dug some huge footers for one of the new bulidings on shore, Nothing but sand to 20 feet down..it's like a big sandbar..with a city on it.

I can explain my post better. The river here in my hometown is the fastest navigable waterway in the USA. It goes along at between 7 and 12 knots. The ONLY way to fish from shore here is to use very stiff rods with 25lb test line and two pound triangle sinkers. They cost the fishermen over 5.00 each.

Example of 2lb sinkers:

Picture of river:

Picture of me in the river:

I will have to go and take a picture of the fishermen soon and more of me bringing up a bucket of lead. It is a fun and CRAZY dive. Impossible to go against the current and you never know where you will end up when you come up. BUT you BETTER be against the seawall. No dive flags as the boats have the right of way.

This place is the wet sand capital of the world, you can stand in one place and your feet sink down about 4 to 5 inch's with in 30 seconds on the slopes. I don't believe it is common but what does stop some treasure is there are different layers of shells and small pebbles. When you start seeing them you know there is going to be some goods...but I would say in the 7 years I have been hunting there, part time I have only dug one sinker...

To make matters worse they just replenished the beach this spring...

And one reason we think the number is so big is because they just dug some huge footers for one of the new bulidings on shore, Nothing but sand to 20 feet down..it's like a big sandbar..with a city on it.

Where I'm at, right now, the hardpack is probabaly 2+ feet or more deep. I suspect if we get a couple of storms, I;ll find more lead. It sinks so fast around here.

I can't imagine they're using those lures with those sinkers :twisted:.

Last edited:
Man all that lead makes me think BULLETS! Id melt every bit and make bullets, bullets, bullets. I shoot two to three weekends a month and go thru a lot of lead. That's awesome Scuba Detector that stuff is so valuable to competition shooters. Im lucky to have a source here but am envious of what you produce.

I have a five gallon bucket that is 3/4's full of fishing weights. It's way to heavy for me to lift, maybe tomorrow I'll get my son to weigh it :) It's 2 years of collecting.

Those sinkers are HUGE! Ive fished for 20+ years and have never seen anything like them. Almost a down rigger. That water looks like some pretty amazing stuff to dive in. Whats the vis? Around here its about ten ft average. In the spring on a good lake I've heard guys getting 25ft.

You go looking for lead on purpose you can dig a bunch. One spot I got you use a small coil in the rocks you can dig about 20 pounds a day:lol:

Man all that lead makes me think BULLETS! Id melt every bit and make bullets, bullets, bullets. I shoot two to three weekends a month and go thru a lot of lead. That's awesome Scuba Detector that stuff is so valuable to competition shooters. Im lucky to have a source here but am envious of what you produce.

Go find a swimming hole that others fish at and harvest all the lead you need :lol:

Back
Top Bottom