Charles II(1665-1700) half real cob

Toasted

Elite Member
Scored my second cob of the year yesterday. This was found at my pounded colonial site that I have been detecting since 2015. Lots of great finds from here in the past but it had slowed down a lot since the early days. Last week I found a early silver cufflink and now this awesome little holed cob. Keep hitting those old sites

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
That's it. I give up. I'm moving to the east coast. Any houses for sale on your block ? And once I get there, point me in the direction of the sandboxes where LC's, cobs, reales, seateds, and colonials are all over the place. Ok ? :mad:

Dude ! You find the oldest stuff in that field, huge congrats!

Thanks but this was not a field find. They are all planted now. This is the only very old site that I have unlimited access too. Had kinda written it off but clearly Im not done here.

That's it. I give up. I'm moving to the east coast. Any houses for sale on your block ? And once I get there, point me in the direction of the sandboxes where LC's, cobs, reales, seateds, and colonials are all over the place. Ok ? :mad:

need a neighbor?

I agree, them east coast spots just produce such history!!
Congrats!

... them east coast spots just produce such history!! ....

Since every sand box there is brimming with seateds and colonials, there is going to be a new FMDF rule that any show & tell post coin from east must be older than 1800. After all, we have to make it fair. Right ? :no:

Tom,
Pick me up on the way and I will split the gas with you:lol::laughing:

Tom,
Pick me up on the way and I will split the gas with you:lol::laughing:

Thanks all. I wish just moving east was all it takes to find these elusive coins. They are out there but the entire population of Maryland was only around 20000 when this coin was minted and most of them traded for goods. Most large transactions were paid in pounds of tobacco

Awesome find, congrats! That's the kind of thing that most likely never made it to the old Indian Territory, so the odds of me ever finding one are zilch... so it's great to see the one you found! Thanks for posting it :yes:

Awesome find, congrats! That's the kind of thing that most likely never made it to the old Indian Territory, so the odds of me ever finding one are zilch... so it's great to see the one you found! Thanks for posting it :yes:

Thanks. Cobs are primarily found in the states of Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina and sometimes show up in New England as well. Ive never heard of one being found elsewhere except on the beach and around St. Augistine in Florida. I think I remember someone finding them along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The vast majority come from Virginia and Maryland. These were the two colonies that had larger populations early on and traded extensively with the West Indies, where Spain dominated for a long time.

Last edited:
Thanks. Cobs are primarily found in the states of Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina and sometimes show up in New England as well. Ive never heard of one being found elsewhere except on the beach and around St. Augistine in Florida. I think I remember someone finding them along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The vast majority come from Virginia and Maryland. These were the two colonies that had larger populations early on and traded extensively with the West Indies, where Spain dominated for a long time.

That's pretty interesting, I didn't know any of that so thank you :grin: I do know we don't see much around here older than say, about the late 1800s as far as coinage.

Scored my second cob of the year yesterday. This was found at my pounded colonial site that I have been detecting since 2015. Lots of great finds from here in the past but it had slowed down a lot since the early days. Last week I found a early silver cufflink and now this awesome little holed cob. Keep hitting those old sites

Congrats! On my bucket list! My buddy got one several years ago at an old farm house, it had been picked before. We could tell, but you never know ,,,, of course ,,, unless you look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom