Whats your favorite digger??

71duster

I ordered up Sampson T handle, but they're on back order. they said I can wait or they would give me any digger they have, cause they have everything else, garrett's, lesche ground shark, relic, all purpose ect. anyway I was thinking on still waiting (its been a month) but not sure,,, anyway would like your input. Thanks for your opinions,,,, FYI for those that feel the need to answer KG or RINGY,, I'm Ok with that too :laughing:!!!

Sampson 31T...

Contact the sponsors (top right) one of them ought to have one in stock...

<°)))>{

Sampson 31" T is worth waiting for. I also have the 31" Relic Hunter, but a bit heavier. Getting just one, go for the regular 31"T , and as mentioned, get a Lesche Digger :yes: and check the forum sponsors (here) first. Someone has probably got a 31" T.

I have a Lesche Digger, the more I use it, the more I dislike it.

Good for piercing the sod, not good for digging or soil removal. (too pointed)

I have the 31" T Sampson also but some places, like parks..its a bit too invasive or intimidating perhaps for on lookers or park personnel.

I have the 31" T Sampson also but some places, like parks..its a bit too invasive or intimidating perhaps for on lookers or park personnel.

I agree about the Lesche. I went back to my fiskers that I bought at Home Depot for around $9...Lesche is my backup.
You really can't beat a Sampson 31T. I use it everywhere. I can dig a perfect three sided plug, flip it out of the ground, retrieve target and flip the plug back in place and it looks nearly invisible where it was dug.

I really wanted to get one of these: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=241338
but it looks like they went out of business.

IYou really can't beat a Sampson 31T. I use it everywhere. I can dig a perfect three sided plug, flip it out of the ground, retrieve target and flip the plug back in place and it looks nearly invisible where it was dug..

My thoughts exactly...

Two inches down= 2 cuts (v)

Three inches= 3 cuts, three sided square

Four inches= 4 cuts starting to make a half circle..

And so on...

8 inches+ , I can cut and flip a huge, deep, half circle plug, 7-8 inches across, retrieve the target, and flip, and stomp, silver in the pouch, never had to kneel, and can hardly tell I was there... Ain't no mower going to suck it up either, too big....

<°)))>{

Well no second guessing I'm waiting for the Sampson T (its already paid for ) Thanks for all your input,, NOTICE If anyone needs a new digger and your on a budget,, metaldetector.com has Pro Series saw tooth trowel FREE this week just pay shipping ,,, I've used them for a while in nasty rocky Mo clay,, This is how they wear after 6 months (pic) not bad for a freebie and from what I've heard saw tooth pro should wear even better.

Attachments

• IMG_0105 (2).jpg
    IMG_0105 (2).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,167
I use a modified $8 HF mini shovel for fields and woods that works really well. I also have a Garrett digger that I like. But actually my favorite is a T-handle modified, sawtooth gator digger. Works well everywhere and is really stout.
IMG_1400.JPG

Best digger? For deeper finds, I prefer the North American Prairie Badger!...Once trained, they are somewhat docile on a leash can easily be confused with a smallish cute little dog, or a smallish Dollar Store throw rug to the general Public!..That gives a guy some Public park hunting capabilities! Like a Lhasa Apso or a Shitzu! Badgers just go to town! Straight down!!

Although, for a shallow clad signal, Badgers are overkill...So a nice fresh Starnosed Mole is hard to beat! Those little buggers you can carry right in your shirt pocket! Set them down over a target, and away they go! Straight down with no complaints or fanfare! Handy little tail, just like a badger has, for the retrieve...

I will say though, the perfect digger? When it comes to overall digging and the cuteness factor, accessibility and Public Park Perception?...you really cant beat a nice little off the shelf rescued from the dog pound Dachshund!...

It sure saves a guy carrying moles around in their pocket...and who can find a decent Prairie badger now a days or has the time to leash train them? Shovels my @ss! Let somebody else do the work! Dachshunds just LOVE to dig! Plus, Nobody is gonna toss an old guy off a field or park just out for an evening stroll walking their stupid little innocent looking Dachshund! Try that with a pocket full of Moles and a Prairie Badger on a leash?

You will certainly get tazed, cuffed and stuffed! Unless you are in Montana..then Ok...no biggie, just blend right in with the Locals...Yeah... a good little rescue Dachshund pup!...pound for pound.. the best digger of about all time I have ever seen!..Even a Case 480 backhoe has inherant design drawbacks...even with 'In cab AC' and the Extandahoe feature....

Thinking...Funny ice breaker at a pick up bar!!.."Is that a Mole thumping around in your pants pocket or are you happy to see me?"

"Nope! its a just a damn old mole!...We were heading home from a totlot clad fest and thought we would stop in here and knock the dirt off our nose nozzles!" ....... "Ya wanna see my Prairie Badger? He's waiting out in the car"..." I also have a trustworthy little dog as my designated driver..., so I'm cool"...

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly...

Two inches down= 2 cuts (v)

Three inches= 3 cuts, three sided square

Four inches= 4 cuts starting to make a half circle..

And so on...

8 inches+ , I can cut and flip a huge, deep, half circle plug, 7-8 inches across, retrieve the target, and flip, and stomp, silver in the pouch, never had to kneel, and can hardly tell I was there... Ain't no mower going to suck it up either, too big....

<°)))>{

x3

You're going to love that Sampson!

I didn't like the Lesche either. I had one and lost it. I didn't like it enough to buy another. I have been using Hori-Hori type knives for almost forty years. I doubt if you could break one. They are cheaper too. You can probably find one online for around $15.00.

Last edited:
I have both the 31" and 18" Sampsons. i haven't used the 31" very much since I got the 18". It doesn't stand out as much to draw attention to you while detecting.
MiniC1.jpg

I agree, but the Lesche cuts through St Augustine grass and thick-ish roots very well. I cut plug with the Lesche, then scoop with either my hand or the digging trowel like the one pictured above. The ground here is usually a couple of inches of topsoil on top of sand, and most of the time, the plug falls apart because of the sand.

I've thought about a Sampson or similar, but only the first couple of inches is tough here. If I had actual soil, I'm sure it would be different.

Agree on the 31" Sampson. Own 2 now.
The hand diggers (Garrett, Lesche) take too long to cut a plug and hurt my wrists after a day of detecting. I feel like the Sampson isn't too offensively large for a yard and I can make a plug in no time. The Predator Ranger is what the Hoover Boys use, but I feel like that's better for fields/woods.

Back
Top Bottom