What to dig with???

I love the idea, it would be easier on my knees

I am a member of another community...The Friendly Backhoe Forum.
Come over and join up, they have a nice classified section too.
Just picked this baby up the other day, very cute, looking for a pouch to hold it now.
When we get into the drought part of the summer I will be ready.

Attachments

• backho.jpg
    backho.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 101
If you're in an area with lots of shallow clad, you can use a screwdriver to pop the coins out. For deeper targets (depending on the soil condition) , you'll need a good sturdy hand digger.

I've been using a Hori Hori knife for cutting plugs in parks and private yards. Cuts through most soil types like a hot knife through butter, and more importantly, does it neatly. Also makes quick work of any roots. Buy a good one, and it's virtually indestructible, plus it has a depth scale built right into the blade.

The one I used is distributed by Truly Garden, under $27 on Amazon.

I went through three broken garden trowels, before buying the Lesche. Its an awesome plug cutter. I now carry the Samson 31", also. Its a great back saver. You get what you pay for.

I've been using a Hori Hori knife for cutting plugs in parks and private yards. Cuts through most soil types like a hot knife through butter, and more importantly, does it neatly. Also makes quick work of any roots. Buy a good one, and it's virtually indestructible, plus it has a depth scale built right into the blade.

That's what I have been using for over thirty years. I have never once felt like it might break. You can find them on Amazon starting for around $15.00. I have never liked the step design of the Lesche.

I got one of those from a detector dealer that was getting out of the business on sale.
Thought it might scoop the dirt out of a deeper hole a little quicker than my flat bladed Lesche.
Very strong,thick steel....and it won't pierce my soil when it gets a little dry around here.
Don't have a grinder but I will get one from HF or a garage sale someday and put a sharp point on it which should help a lot.

I don't have any trouble with mine in all but the hardest dry clay , but not many trowel type diggers can handle that well anyway. If the ground is hard I do have to put a little extra weight on it but the positive side of this digger is its shape , which in most cases makes a very neat hole and scoops dirt out really well. It may not be the best available but most of the others cost a lot more and in most cases the difference is negligible , so it all comes down to personal preference. For the price , its hard to beat , and compared to ANY garden or multi purpose digger its much better.....made for the purpose we use it for and virtually indestructible. Considering the price , why would anyone go out and buy a $10 garden tool , warranty or not the garden or multipurpose variety is going to break or just not work as well as this tuff $10 digger made for this purpose. People go buy those neat looking little Ames 7 in one trowels or a knockoff and shortly after usually post pictures on here showing how they broke :roll: .....well , they chose looks or immediate gratification over function and bought the wrong product :lol:

I don't have any trouble with mine in all but the hardest dry clay , but not many trowel type diggers can handle that well anyway. If the ground is hard I do have to put a little extra weight on it but the positive side of this digger is its shape , which in most cases makes a very neat hole and scoops dirt out really well. It may not be the best available but most of the others cost a lot more and in most cases the difference is negligible , so it all comes down to personal preference. For the price , its hard to beat , and compared to ANY garden or multi purpose digger its much better.....made for the purpose we use it for and virtually indestructible. Considering the price , why would anyone go out and buy a $10 garden tool , warranty or not the garden or multipurpose variety is going to break or just not work as well as this tuff $10 digger made for this purpose. People go buy those neat looking little Ames 7 in one trowels or a knockoff and shortly after usually post pictures on here showing how they broke :roll: .....well , they chose looks or immediate gratification over function and bought the wrong product :lol:

Here is mine, this is a Wilcox digger which also comes with a lifetime guarantee and once I mod it to work in my environment I bet it will work good after I do...maybe great.
It is the Wilcox All Pro No.101S heavy duty model.
If I sharpen the point it should pierce my clay filled dirt much better and dig down through the bad stuff easier because it wasn't great at doing that either, might even put some cuts in one side or both for root cutting and hone the edges and tip sharper to more like a knife edge.
In decent soil it would probably work as it is, here it is not so great...but I think it can be one day.

The advantage to this one is the construction for the price which is usually under $20 from most outlets.
The dealer I got it from had it slightly discounted and then since he was dumping them another 25% off of that so I ended up paying $13 for the thing tax included...I couldn't pass up a deal like that.

I noticed this company makes a few, I looked at a 12" 16 gauge shiny stainless version and it was stout but I bet I could bend or even break it with enough pressure...this one is also a 12" model, not shiny but still stainless steel and much thicker at 12 gauge...even standing on the thing prying up huge rocks I think will have trouble hurting this one.
The weak breaking point on some of the other cheaper diggers seems to be the handle since that is where they all seem to fail.
Not on this one, the blade and handle are all one piece, they form the blade then roll it at the top and then throw on that handle cover.
Once I mod it to my satisfaction I will probably change the handle cover to a better bicycle grip version with some decent padding and then I should have something unique and hopefully useful.
In Kansas soil this would have worked fine out of the box, here I need to put in a little effort to make it work even decently well but once I do I think it could be a digger to reckon with.

Thanks for reminding me about this one, till you did I totally forgot I owned one since I used it on one or two hunts then put it away.
Now I have a project I am anxious to complete and see just how great of a tool I can make this thing into.

Attachments

• user10659_pic73454_1481988747_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic73454_1481988747_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
For deep stuff (rare), I use a bigger shovel. For regular targets in grass, woodchips, or sand I usually use a metal garden trowel. If the targets are shallow I pop them out with a weed puller. Basically like a screwdriver, but with a forked tip.

I use the same thing. An excellent tool that holds up very well.

After thinking about this and looking at it, I decided I need one of these too. I hunt mostly in bermuda grass. If you don't know what that is, it's gnarly running grass with tough runners that make a really tough mat over time, and it's blasted difficult to make a nice plug. My Lesche is good in non-bermuda but I'm hoping this Hori Hori will help neaten up my bermuda plugs.

After thinking about this and looking at it, I decided I need one of these too. I hunt mostly in bermuda grass. If you don't know what that is, it's gnarly running grass with tough runners that make a really tough mat over time, and it's blasted difficult to make a nice plug. My Lesche is good in non-bermuda but I'm hoping this Hori Hori will help neaten up my bermuda plugs.

I doubt you'll be disappointed - I really enjoy using the Hori Hori knife. Plus it's fun to say :lol: Please let us know how it does on the Bermuda grass - I'd love to hear a follow up!

Dang !..."Go Big or Go Home" out dun me.......I was gonna say a small John Deere backhoe...:laughing::laughing::lol:

I have a Lesche Digging Tool, with left side serrations, on the way. Judging by the cheap price I got on amazon, I think this must be the one manufactured by WW Mfg., and not Predator Tools. Is there a difference in quality between the two companies?

I also have the 31" T-handle Samson in my amazon basket, along with a Ground Shark. Everyone says that this Samson is "the" digger to get, so, I'll follow the herd on it and see if it is right for me. As for the Ground Shark, I saw a video of it cutting a plug, and it is very surgical in manner, cutting a small diameter round plug, which looks to be ideal.

I was going to order the P-T Piranha and Raven, but someone mentioned that those may go on sale about the 4th of July, so I'll wait and see. P-T would charge me $25 shipping on the two of them, which, since I'm spoiled by amazon's free shipping, I find excessive. I also want a P-T Raptor, and I may order that when I order the Piranha and the Raven, if I do order them, as I've been thinking that serrated blades may not be a good thing for my area, which has a lot of rocks that those serrations could catch on. It might be better for me to stick with non-serrated blades instead. Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom