excalibur problem

chris50ae

Hi all,
I just picked up a another used excalibur 2 and it has a serious problem. The discrimination knob spins 360° with no stops. I assume the rheostate is broke. How would you go about finding the alignment of the knob so it set at level 1 so I can remove board. The knob broke off during packaging by the original owner and he let me know about it. I dont know if it was left in position 1 or anywhere else. Can it be done with any metal and sound or do I have to send it in. Needless to say I am quite angry for spending $900 and getting this.

Hi all,
I just picked up a another used excalibur 2 and it has a serious problem. The discrimination knob spins 360° with no stops. I assume the rheostate is broke. How would you go about finding the alignment of the knob so it set at level 1 so I can remove board. The knob broke off during packaging by the original owner and he let me know about it. I dont know if it was left in position 1 or anywhere else. Can it be done with any metal and sound or do I have to send it in. Needless to say I am quite angry for spending $900 and getting this.

Did you buy it on Fee-Bay? If so I would open an item not as described ticket and get your money back. You could be out more than it is worth.

yes, he also had it forsale here. No problem with previous owner, He is willing to pay for repair or i can send it back for a refund. I wanted to see if it could be fixed by adjusting it to the same settings as my other 2 excaliburs. Tried waving coins and metal in front of working detectors changing disc till had nulling. 2 working detectors disc about the same numbers, and figured i could wave in front of new one and set knob at that point. Couldnt get the new one to even come close on any metal. Got an email into kellyco for price before i decide what to do. Dont really want to send back cause i just bought new knobs and pluggers carbon dive/beach shaft and already have upgraded shafts on other 2.

I think once it spins like that it is toast and it is a common enough that it can be fixed without a problem either through someone here or through an authorized dealer. Price will depend on that but I dont think its too bad.

I shot an email to OBN the other day about buying his pinpoint mod but havent heard from him, maybe I have wrong email. But i believe I've read the rehostat is not available easily so its probably a no go for me to fix. Plus while its in for service, they can overhaul the whole thing and maybe do the pinpoint mod. I just dont like other people working on my stuff.

I shot an email to OBN the other day about buying his pinpoint mod but havent heard from him, maybe I have wrong email. But i believe I've read the rehostat is not available easily so its probably a no go for me to fix. Plus while its in for service, they can overhaul the whole thing and maybe do the pinpoint mod. I just dont like other people working on my stuff.

no worries, Im sure you'll hear from him, either here or email but I think there is aftermarket replacement available, I just dont have the link for it off hand.

The potentiometer is broke, If you remove the end cap, you will see a lip in the knob shafts, you have to align all 5 knob shafts the same (off position and pp position-counter clock wise ) so the motherboard can slide out. Minelab doesn't sell parts so you will need to find the pot somewhere else.

Sorry I missed that email but You can fix it yourself if you have some electronics skills..here is a video on how... I closed shop on all repairs last year, due to unable to get parts and now only do the kits.Jan n Feb ..then I hunt the other 10 months.

I opened the case a week ago, was a pain to get discrimination lined up because it had no knob on it from begining so no way to get it to line up easily. This is not the disc/pinpoint knob but the discrimination pot on other end. Searched for a few hours through electronics catalogs and then figured easier to send in for repair. Original owner was nice enough to reimburse me $20 for knobs then another $75 on his own for pot replacement. I sent it to Kellyco yesterday. They said $10 for pot and $75 for service. Now i get a short warrenty and the whole unit will be serviced and checked out. I have 2 more excals i can mess with until its fixed. They said 6-8 weeks.
OBN, the email I sent you was for purchase one of your pinpoint kits. If you dont have any available now, please put me on the list. My email is [email protected]. I also have an idea for a switch that should work at significant water depth I would like to discuss with you

Back
Top Bottom