Gearing up to water hunt

firstbigestmost

Elite Member
The beaches have been pretty sanded in here, so I have had to find other ways to amuse myself. I ve been reading Pulse Power and got motivated to gear up for water hunting.

The coil brace works really good, and the Plexiglas was easy to work with.

The sifter is a work in progress but it shows great potential. First time I used it the holes were to small (1/4")so the muck drained to slow. I haven’t had the chance to test it with the bigger holes yet. I'll keep making the holes bigger till it can drain its self while its floating along. The plus side was it could hold 4 shovels full without tipping. The tube held my shovel pretty good too.

The hip mount was a lot of work but it should do the job. I made it from the leg of an old wet suit and Velcro. I am going to keep an eye out for a Tesoro patch and then it should be perfect. :roll:

Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• 219 016 (640x429).jpg
    219 016 (640x429).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 219 014 (640x425).jpg
    219 014 (640x425).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 741
  • 219 017 (640x597) (640x597).jpg
    219 017 (640x597) (640x597).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 819
  • 219 009 (640x404).jpg
    219 009 (640x404).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 624
  • 219 010 (640x495).jpg
    219 010 (640x495).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 723
Pretty cool things you rigged up :) the coil brackets are readily available from Kellyco as well... I use the ones they sell... I'm not much into making things for the hobby ;)

This is my float but I rarely use it as its a PITA to have dragging behind as it tends to want to move in front of you when you stop to dig a target...

P1010478.jpg

Pretty cool things you rigged up :) the coil brackets are readily available from Kellyco as well... I use the ones they sell... I'm not much into making things for the hobby ;)

Yeah, I’m pretty happy with them so far. I like to make my own stuff when I can. I’m always saving materials so I had a lot of stuff sitting around the house anyway. I’m saving up cash for a good water scoop which I cant make myself so I save where I can you know? The coil brace is from Clive’s book. He didn’t give a lot of details on how to make it so I almost just bought one, But I already had the Plexiglas, torch, etc., so I felt like it would be wimping out not to at least try. Turns out it was super easy, the plexiglas was very easy to work with and reheat and adjust as needed. The one in the pic is my first try! The sifter is for a few secluded beaches that are more like fresh water lakes. I know that their is good stuff hiding in there, but hopefully not for long!! The hip mount was me just being a little too optimistic and cheap! If I had it to do over I would Just order one. Maybe. :D
HH.

Only time I use my float is when I am hunting a beach where the bottom make up is clay and mud and I try to steer clear of those beaches ;)

Only time I use my float is when I am hunting a beach where the bottom make up is clay and mud and I try to steer clear of those beaches ;)

:lol::lol: I hear you. Good thing I have a mig welder. I broke my dry sand scoop at the beach I made the sifter for after 5 targets...but the five targets were close and there were lots more to dig which around here means virgin territory. I’m hoping my shovel and sifter will get me a nice find to pay for a good water scoop. I did notice that I forgot to put a cup holder on the thing though ;)

Funny- I just started reading Pulse Power this evening and saw the bracket that you built. Good job! Yours looks a lot like the one in the book. Your basket looks like the one I built for lake hunting. I've only used it once, so far, and it worked great. HH!

Funny- I just started reading Pulse Power this evening and saw the bracket that you built. Good job! Yours looks a lot like the one in the book. Your basket looks like the one I built for lake hunting. I've only used it once, so far, and it worked great. HH!

Thanks! The Plexiglas softened up like a mouth guard then I just held it in place while it cooled down. I think the sifter will work out fine when the holes are right. It should work good for hunting shark teeth this summer too.
HH.

http://www.paleocurrents.com/docs/peace_river_fl.html

Good job, I am gonna give it a go this year for fossils on the peace, the wifes parents live in PG so its just around the corner...

Good job, I am gonna give it a go this year for fossils on the peace, the wifes parents live in PG so its just around the corner...

I've only hunted there once so far. It was winter, and the water was high and cold and the only sifter I had was my wife’s kitchen strainer. I managed to find some small teeth, but all in all it was a poor showing:D My wife’s face when she saw her strainer made it all worth it though :lol:

I’m wondering how many rings get lost while people are digging around for fossils?

Back
Top Bottom