I got a nice NEL Thunder coil for Christmas! Now how do I wire it?

beachdude

Elite Member
Santa (me) got me a nice NEL Thunder coil and it even arrived in time for Christmas. I also secured some inline waterproof connectors from Stavr.

Now how do I connect it up? Obviously I have to cut this plug off, and then cut the cable going to my 8" coil off my green Excalibur...

This is what is on the end of the NEL coil:

NEL-Thunder-plug.jpg

What wires come out of this coil and what do I match them with on the Excal side? Does anyone know?

There should be a chart or charts around somewhere... If Anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I can't help you wire it but i wouldn't cut the end off. I would get the male end so you can change coils.
Do a search under make it or fix it on here you will find some wiring diagrams

Steve

I can't help you wire it but i wouldn't cut the end off. I would get the male end so you can change coils.
Do a search under make it or fix it on here you will find some wiring diagrams

Steve

I have been searching for wiring diagrams for this coil - to an excal with no luck....

As well, the plug on the NEL coil does not match with any of the existing waterproof connectors that I have.

Before you cut anything...peel back the coil wires black cover to expose the wires, use a razor to trim but do not cut the wires. Trace each to the pin out of that sovereign fitting you have pictured. You will see the wires you expose are not colored. Mark them well.........

You cut that fitting off with out doing the above you will be lost in space..and turn the job into a lot more work...Nice gift also!!

Pin (1) would be red

Pin (2) would be black

Pin (3) would be white

Pin (4) would be Yellow

---------------------------------------------------------

Red ....TXB..............................Pin 1

Black...TXA..............................Pin 2

White..GRD 1 or GRD 2.............Pin 3

Yellow..RXA.............................Pin 4

Pin (1) would be red

Pin (2) would be black

Pin (3) would be white

Pin (4) would be Yellow

---------------------------------------------------------

Red ....TXB..............................Pin 1

Black...TXA..............................Pin 2

White..GRD 1 or GRD 2.............Pin 3

Yellow..RXA.............................Pin 4

OBN, you rock! Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Thanks,

I have been searching for wiring diagrams for this coil - to an excal with no luck....

As well, the plug on the NEL coil does not match with any of the existing waterproof connectors that I have.

First thing I'd do, is call an NEL distributor and ask them if they' have adapters. Best not to void warranties the moment you get a device.

:)

Skippy

First thing I'd do, is call an NEL distributor and ask them if they' have adapters. Best not to void warranties the moment you get a device.

:)

Skippy

Crazy these even have a connector on them since 99% sold go on the Excalibur. Which should be hard wired for the best performance. No adapter is made since that fitting is non water proof. Coiltek did make a container several years ago but it was a constant battle to keep all dry.

Make sure you watch obn's videos a few times before getting in to the actual work, it made me feel alot more comfortable doing the big swap.
Take the advice he mentioned about stripping back the wire before you cut the connector off, confirm the colors just to make sure and go for it!
For me the thing which took longest was to get the darn shrink wrap off in a way so that i could reuse it.
Be patient with the soldering and good luck!

Attachments

• Waterproof-IP68-connector-4-pinfor-Minelab-Excalibur-modification-soldering.jpg
    Waterproof-IP68-connector-4-pinfor-Minelab-Excalibur-modification-soldering.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,544
Last edited:
Just for the record, GRD 1 , GRD 2 , RXB ..eyelets connections on the PCB...are all connected to each other, their all grounds.

Just for the record, GRD 1 , GRD 2 , RXB ..eyelets connections on the PCB...are all connected to each other, their all grounds.

This is great info to know as the wiring diagram doesn't reflect any of the coil wires returning too a dedicated ground connection. . Is the nel tornado and thunder as good as original10in coil? I will be following this post closely as im in the exact same situation. .. i hope to eventually put the ip68 waterproof connectors on all my sovereign coils to make them interchangeable. ... good luck with the mod...

Back
Top Bottom