Can you hunt the beaches (Chicago) during the winter?

I lived on a couple of the great lakes for a while many years ago, and if it's a harsh winter you probably won't see any sand, just piles of ice with a lot of snow over it, until spring. Some years it looks like ground up icebergs get pushed onto the beaches as it freezes near the shore and the waves push the ice on up. And there's lake effect snow also, it really piles up.

Just curious as to whether or not you're permitted to hunt on the sand. Does the sand freeze? Thank You.

Definitely not this Winter, but the last couple Winters were a lot milder and I managed some hunts in January on the Great Lakes. The sand will freeze but the sand under the water does not. So if you have open water and the guts to wade in water that is just a degree or two from freezing then you can still hunt. This season there's so much ice and snow on the beaches that I really don't expect that I'll be in the water until May. :(

I have been wondering the same thing. I have been itchin to get out since November but just too cold here. Let me know if you get out, I live in the city and would love to join ya! As far as permission, I believe they are open, their website states no swimming when there is no lifegaurds, but I see people swimming all the time, well when the weather is warmer!!

Back
Top Bottom