Waiting for the thaw

HistoryFinder89

Elite Member
Just wanted to let everyone know, I haven't been hunting recently because I can't dig the ground. The ground is pretty soild. I guess I have to wait for Spring, no matter how hard I want to go out now. I see people from PA and in the New England area in the Northeast still hunting in January, and it makes me want to go out even more. But there's not much I can do. The only thing I can do now is wait for my tumbler in the mail to clean my clad and research hard for next season. A few weeks ago, I had my last hunt, which got me my first 3 silvers of the year, and I haven't had a hunt since. It sucks not being able to go back to the site that produced that just a few weeks ago. This just really sucks that I can't go out. I'm right by Lake Erie which keeps putting Lake Effect snow bands over my area. The lake is about 35 degrees right now. Very difficult for me to accept. I'll just have to wait I guess. Anybody else have this problem?

I know how you feel. Here in MN we've had beautiful weather up until about 2 weeks ago. One morning we had -45 degree wind chills with a frost bite advisory of 5-10 minutes (for those who don't know what that means, it means if you stood outside without gloves your fingers would have frostbite within 10 minutes) So as you can imagine the ground got a bit stiff :lol:

I'm waiting for spring right along with ya! Only two more months! :yes:

What about hunting in the woods, is the ground frozen solid a foot down under the thick leaf cover, or is it just a crust of frost? Hunting in half a foot of snow or more for silver is possible, long as the ground's soft within 2-3" of the surface...

I know how you feel. Here in MN we've had beautiful weather up until about 2 weeks ago. One morning we had -45 degree wind chills with a frost bite advisory of 5-10 minutes (for those who don't know what that means, it means if you stood outside without gloves your fingers would have frostbite within 10 minutes)

wwwwhhhaaatttt?! I have seen a total of 3 flurries in over a year. My mind cannot comprehend that kind of cold...

Hope to be hunting here tomorrow in SW PA. We had a bunch of snow last week, but a good 56 degree day melted it all and made the ground dig-able again. Hope your thaw comes soon!!!

I went out yesturday and I was able to dig the ground in certain spots. Most of the park was frozen solid, but I found an area that gets alot of sun and the soil was dry which equaled easy digging. I discovered that the low lying areas that retain the water were frozen solid. So if you can find an area that is high and dry you should be ok..Best of luck!! I hope to get out today again..HH

Same here, I think I'm going to break out the neoprene waders and join the ranks of the truly crazy hardcores and wade in the rivers.

I already ordered a stainless steel scoop. Send the padded wagon! ~ :lol:

I know how you feel. Here in MN we've had beautiful weather up until about 2 weeks ago. One morning we had -45 degree wind chills with a frost bite advisory of 5-10 minutes (for those who don't know what that means, it means if you stood outside without gloves your fingers would have frostbite within 10 minutes) So as you can imagine the ground got a bit stiff :lol:

I'm waiting for spring right along with ya! Only two more months! :yes:

ANY place that issues frost bite warnings is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too cold for this old cajun .no way would i live up there!:lol:

ANY place that issues frost bite warnings is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too cold for this old cajun .no way would i live up there!:lol:

:lol: it's a bit brisk

It's 34 degrees today, maybe I'll try a woods hunt and see just how well the leaves insulate

I'm hopeing to return to the site of the three silver dimes Thursday. However it seems the predictions of snow are getting worse and worse. It went from little accumulation, to an inch, now 2 to 4, and who knows how much by the time the rest of the snow gets here. Gotta love this crappy weather. Anyway if I get out which looks like a bit of a long shot now, and I find something good, I'll let you guys know. I useually post in the Coinshooter Relic Hunter section.

I know your pain, We just bought our first MD and are unable to get out and try it. The weather keeps changing between snow, Freezing rain and just rain.
We can't wait for some warm weather so we can try our new F2 out. :(

Back
Top Bottom