Old Railroad Stock Yards? Input and Thoughts Please

Digger62864

I have been detecting for nearly 20 years and consider myself to be mostly a coin shooter. However, I have been exploring more places the last few years that are more relic producers than coin...which is completely fine, I have enjoyed that transition. That being said I have been looking for some new sites that might produce some nice relics. One hunt site I stumbled across when doing some research is a old Railroad stock yard. Has anyone done any detecting in this kind of site? It dates from about 1885 ish and was active with multiple rails running through about 1960. The railroad tracks that were there moved and some just abandoned, the site then quickly became overgrown. Today the area is mostly an open field with minimal overgrowth. I have established permission. I have posted two photos of the site , present day and past. If others have hunted a simliar site plesse share your experience and finds. I have mixed feelings about the potential of the site, its definitely not my typical type of site I hunt, so share your input. Please!

Attachments

• rps20170315_132410.jpg
    rps20170315_132410.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 161
  • rps20170315_132345.jpg
    rps20170315_132345.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 140
I've had some luck in those type of areas.. Some nice relics like old railroad locks, buttons and also some silver coins. Definitely worth detecting IMHO.

I'll definitely detect it, no matter what. Just one of those sites where I had mixed feelings on, not really knowing what to expect or how much dirt has been moved around (or fill). We'll see!

I would say, don't waste a good permission. It may be a killer spot, or it may be a dud, but you'll never know till you try. I could foresee a lot of iron pieces around but it's worth a shot in my book. There's still a potential for dropped coins with the amount of people that were in the area. Good luck.

When I first read your post I had to check and see where your from. I thought I might have a little composition
I hunt a spot just like that except it gets mowed and then hold a blue Grass consorts on it once a year. More iron then coins.
Good Luck.

90% of my very best coin finds have come from a similar site,actually OFF to the side of it among the trees. Seateds,Barbers,1865 3 cent nickel,large cents,tokens...you name,it's been found in this site. Your site very well may have similar things,along with old RR locks especially! Have you seen what some of those bring in value these days? Ludicrous prices! Locks and keys is what I'd be looking for,and it certainly has the age for gold coins as well!
IMHO, you cannot go wrong at least ATTEMPTING it. I'd hunt the SNOT out of it!
Good luck...for now I'd just dig those good repeatable "not iron" conductors that don't pinpoint HUGE or long...stuff that seems like it's the size of a coin and maybe a bit bigger to scoop up those locks! Look for places around there where people may have rested under trees or near water...if those are around still.
I do love ANYTHING railroad related...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom