• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Newer to the 3030

dumbdigger

Elite Member
Well I have had the 3030 for a while and am finally getting a chance to use it.
I have a couple hunts on it.

I keep hearing about this combined mode. What is it?
If I understand correctly its audio only?

I just have a few questions about using it.
Thanks DD

Also, I have GH programs on it. But so far have only ran multi-tone con. Basically like a slightly better Etrac.

Combined mode is a mode where you can run as little disc as you want,,and still hear nonferrous targets.
Unlike conductive multitones.,,where a person has to disc say out lines 28-35 to knock out tone provided by iron or nails.

Also combined mode,,allows users to make tone bins,,,and assign each bin an individual tone.

Also,,user can assign a tone for a nickel window,,,and make it sound like a higher conductor.

Running combined mode with more open screen,,,keeps the machine reporting,,instead of discing(nulling.

The iron range users usually assign a low(er) tone.

Using combined mode,,,can be a busier(audio wise) way to run CTX,,,but it is deadly on targets.

Not overly hard to set up,,,a person does need some knowledge on where some nuisance targets usually show up conductive wise on the screen.

Using exchange is recommended,,,I can do just by using the buttons on detector.

A person still has ability to have access to 2 screens,,,and can toggle back and forth using detect button.

I hope this helps.
Any further questions,,,feel free to ask.

Btw, there are some older threads/post hear where folks show their bins set up.

I may try to find a few of them and link them here.

Thanks TN
I knew you'd jump in.

As you say you can have different sound in the bins.
What I am curious about is
Can you make everything say 35 conductive and down sound like an
iron grunt?

I try'd combine for a few minutes and it was beeping high/low everywhere. So went back to multi-tone.

Do I have to have it set up where like an Etrac TTf where it high tones on everything conductive? Like say a beaver tail? screw top? etc

Or can I make high tone on anything 35 conductive and up? Thanks

Thanks TN
I knew you'd jump in.

As you say you can have different sound in the bins.
What I am curious about is
Can you make everything say 35 conductive and down sound like an
iron grunt?

I try'd combine for a few minutes and it was beeping high/low everywhere. So went back to multi-tone.

Do I have to have it set up where like an Etrac TTf where it high tones on everything conductive? Like say a beaver tail? screw top? etc

Or can I make high tone on anything 35 conductive and up? Thanks

As far your conductive bins go,,,you can set up a bin like including conductive lines 12,13,14 for a nickel bin. And assign it the same higher tone as your dimes,quartets,etc.

Yes you can assign a lower grunt sound to iron bin 28-35 ferrous area,,,something to point out here. You will still get SOME high tone falsing on some nails/iron. It will be easy to depict once you hear some. You will notice on the edges of these high tone falses,,the iron gunt.

You need to put in a program and experiment a little.
Also,,pattern for iron,,,and actual tone bin,,not the same.

Someone maybe who has some pics,,or an older thread here may surface.
I remember seeing one not too long ago here,,still trying to find it.

I ask like that cuz if you have to examine every high tone and see where the
top cursor lies, you would take A LOT of time checking every 2-5 seconds.

Where if you were able to set the high tone at like 35-37 conductive and up, you would be able to seek more desired targets. Know what I mean?

Also, I understand you can make a nickel sound like a higher tone, but for me really I have no desire to pull nickels. I know I would be missing some gold ect.... But really if hunting gold I would just run a different program...And set out looking for it solely. DD

I ask like that cuz if you have to examine every high tone and see where the
top cursor lies, you would take A LOT of time checking every 2-5 seconds.

Where if you were able to set the high tone at like 35-37 conductive and up, you would be able to seek more desired targets. Know what I mean?

You see,,,on etrac,,a nickel sounds close to a tab tone wise.
Using 50 conductive on CTX,,the same,,sounds close to tab.

Combined mode,,,different ballgame,,,nickel can be made to would like dime or quarter.

You get to pick,,based on your tone bin boundaries,,which conductive numbers,,how they will sound off on targets.

You can make nickels high,,,you could make shotguns shells high,,,you could make even dimes and quarters low if you want.

Usually,,,the dead zone I call it on CTX for USA coin hunters is,,,01-11 conductive,,,15-31 conductive.

But remember there are a few oddball coins like flying eagle cents, first generation IHs, nickel 3cent pieces,,,these will read in these areas I mention above.

It will be your choice,,,some folks set their bins up,,with nickel high,,,and the other areas(bins) are on a more listing scale for reporting tone wise.

Using combined mode,,and set up properly will make CTX a nickel magnet.

Thanks TN

Can I set it to where the only high tone is like a dime/quarter or silver?
Or do I have to keep looking down at the screen and check conductive numbers to see whats down there?

I'm not a nickel digger,but I have a bin for them. I have dug more nickels with the CTX than my other 3 machines combined in 1/4 the time. TN's terminology is correct..."nickel magnet". I do not know why it loves nickels so much but it does. I really do try to stay away from them as it takes away time from other targets but they sound so nice they're hard to say NO to...

Thanks TN

Can I set it to where the only high tone is like a dime/quarter or silver?
Or do I have to keep looking down at the screen and check conductive numbers to see whats down there?

Yes,,,using combined mode,,with smartly set up bins,,,you can hunt by ear,,,when you get the tone,,,then you can look at screen.

Here is an actual pick of my detector's screen.
Notice the different bins,,you can adjust these to your liking.
With both size and pitch of tone provided.
You can make for example all copper pennies(not zincolns) dimes,,both silver and clad,,quarters both silver and clad,,,halves ,,and silver dollars all sound off the same tone wise.
If you want to include zincolns,,you can,,you run the risk of digging screw caps though.

Here is the same screen,,depicting your actual tones,,notice the bottom,,look how low the tone number is. These numbers are adjustable,,,higher is higher pitch,,low is lower pitch.
Now,,these screens just for information purposes,,I am not recommending them to anyone here for actual use in detecting.

OK if I understand this right

I can set it up so I have the iron grunt

A middle tone for junk (like the gold rings that I would miss lol) IH's Flying Eagles, Zincs???? You get the idea.... BUT!!!

Then I can have a higher tone for Wheats and up?

And once I hear the higher tone stop and investigate?

Really Im after silver.... I have silver fever!!!

OK if I understand this right

I can set it up so I have the iron grunt

A middle tone for junk (like the gold rings that I would miss lol) IH's Flying Eagles, Zincs???? You get the idea.... BUT!!!

Then I can have a higher tone for Wheats and up?

And once I hear the higher tone stop and investigate?

Really Im after silver.... I have silver fever!!!

You are catching on here quick!!!
But I would try a nickel window,,,them ole Buffaloes are out there. It is possible to snag a gold something too using nickel window.
Them zincolns,,,a waste of time digging.

Play with your exchange program some.
You can even take pics of of whatever you come up with,,,your bins,,patterns and post here. Somebody will look at them and maybe give their blessing or tell you what else you need to do/adjust.

One word of caution when setting up your bins.
I have seen very few instances where CTX reads higher conductive than what a coin, etc even air test at,,,but have seen the CTX report a little low,,,this caused by maybe chipped coin,,worn coin,etc,,,,so allow a couple points I.D wise on the low end when building your bins....11 or 12 is q good lower side for a nickel for example. 40 for a wheaty.

Yea, the biggest reason for not having the nickel chase is
last year I had 7-8 buffs, a V and a shield nickel.
Also, had a few war nickels..

So instead of digging for nickels I would rather spend as much time as I can on the higher conductors..

Yea, the biggest reason for not having the nickel chase is
last year I had 7-8 buffs, a V and a shield nickel.
Also, had a few war nickels..

So instead of digging for nickels I would rather spend as much time as I can on the higher conductors..

That's ok.
I like old nickels,,,plus seems around here in my neck of the woods,,,beggars can't be choosy.
Not a lot of places rolling in older coins.
You have to take what you can get.

Also, I cant keep but wondering if I have the actual GH programs
or are they slightly modified? Cant find anywhere to actually verify
I have the actual GH programs.

And yea I know everywhere is different, but IMO his programs are still a good place to start.

The only other question about combined mode is, take the adjustable tone bins away and what makes it so much better than the Etrac TTF? Is it the new processing of the Fer-coin separation?

The only other question about combined mode is, take the adjustable tone bins away and what makes it so much better than the Etrac TTF? Is it the new processing of the Fer-coin separation?

CTX separates faster.
TTF using etrac,,,,has faults,,,default tone breaks from high to low tone to high on screen.

Ferrous coin process,,,makes targets ID closer to 12 line vs etrac,,,,as far as depth and or ground minerals affecting.

CTX generally will run quieter,,,and will usually track higher in auto sens,,in same site(s) vs Etrac.

Back
Top Bottom