First Return 2017 with cool backstory - UPDATE

Numil

Elite Member
Updated:
For those nay sayers as to the rings return I say Pffft... I got a Thank You card in the mail today and thought it was a Thank You card for the ring return. I was shocked when I opened it and saw the following (See the last Pic) The monetary reward was unsolicited and greatly unexpected. But I'll take it.. after all, I am a pirate.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck out there!

This ring return has some history to it. They kind of history that you just cant make up proving that fact is stranger than fiction.

Last December digging at a local beach I pulled from the wet sand a 14K Ruby ring. As I always do I check some of the more popular Lost and Found web sites like www.lostmystuff.net , Craigslist, Facebook and a couple of others. Per my usual results at the time there was no posting remotely like the ring I found.

As fate would have it, I found no gold during January so had no real reason to look into in Lost & Found items but then it happened. BOOM I found a fatty gold ring (posted previously here) and once again searched the Lost & Found to see if anyone had posted a missing ring. Well there was nothing posted about the fatty but I did find a posting for a Ruby Ring. The description was just too good for it not to be so I contacted the individual and got a response.
The following quote in red is her reply to my email. Here's what she had to say:

"I'm soooo excited !! I really hope that maybe you did or have! I sent in the attachment 2 photos of my ruby ring..my deceased uncle stole cars in Bronx NY in the early 80s he found the ring in a car and gave it to my mother. Then at 19 he died in a motorcycle accident. I was born a few years later on his birthday, my mother always wore the ring it's the only one she wore. She gave it to my sister who's ex-husband pawned it in 2004. In 2014 I was walking in downtown Boston and happened to look up at a pawn shop window and saw it looking at me. I bought it immediately and then on vacation the ring took off yet again lol. So it has sentimental value I was sad when i lost it. I rented a metal detector and looked days after. Thank you for contacting me, it gives me hope!"

We exchanged a couple more emails and I asked if she had a picture or further ID on the ring, just to make sure. She sent me one of her wearing it... then I sent her the picture of the ring of the ring I found. It was a match and the ring is in a box on its way back to her.

After hearing the history and story behind this ring, and while I don't believe in ghost stories, I think this ring would always find a way to get back to its owner.

I made a new friend friend today. Gawd I love this hobby!

Ring Return.jpg

Attachments

• Ruby RIng.jpg
    Ruby RIng.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 577
  • Cash.jpg
    Cash.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
That is a way beyond cool story , I hope everyone here gets to read it . And of course Congrats for being such a caring human ! I' m sure you'll be paid back many times and ways . :cool: HH

Wow that's not the typical "I was at the beach and took off my ring and put it on my towel...." story.

Funny thing is, it came to her by means of theft...... :lol:

Cool story, and cool return!

I agree- great story and good on you for doing such an admirable thing! If you found that with a White's detector you may want to send that story to them. I'd bet that they post that one. :yes:

That's a great story, and makes your generous return even more special. Congratulations!

Good going on the return there Numil! I wonder if she meant to write that her deceased uncle sold cars instead of stole?

That's one crazy story and cool return, congrats!

I sneak a peak at Craigslist once in awhile if I find a ring I think someone misses, so I could see how that could happen.

Beauty of a ring!

Good going on the return there Numil! I wonder if she meant to write that her deceased uncle sold cars instead of stole?
I would think stole since he died at 19. I've never met a teenage car salesman.

That is a way beyond cool story , I hope everyone here gets to read it . And of course Congrats for being such a caring human ! I' m sure you'll be paid back many times and ways . :cool: HH

Awesome story!

Wow that's not the typical "I was at the beach and took off my ring and put it on my towel...." story.

congrats on that awesome find and return!

Funny thing is, it came to her by means of theft...... :lol:

Cool story, and cool return!

What a cool story! Congrats on a really nice return!

That was ironic! :lol: You get this for the ring and the story! :dingding:

great story.

I agree- great story and good on you for doing such an admirable thing! If you found that with a White's detector you may want to send that story to them. I'd bet that they post that one. :yes:

That's a great story, and makes your generous return even more special. Congratulations!

That's one crazy story and cool return, congrats!

I sneak a peak at Craigslist once in awhile if I find a ring I think someone misses, so I could see how that could happen.

Beauty of a ring!

That's a great story

I would think stole since he died at 19. I've never met a teenage car salesman.

Awesome work, and you are right, that is ONE great backstory! That ring is haunted...

You're a good man Numil. Strong work, good will is worth much more than gold.

Thanks everyone for the responses. While I don't believe in possessed inanimate objects that ring is better off with the person it wants to be with. For those who noted it came to her by way of theft, it was also noted that she wasn't even born when the ring was stolen. She was born on his birthday after he died. Another note is the statute of limitations on that theft ran out about 30 years ago and possession is the proverbial 9 points (out of 10) of the law.

Again thanks all for looking and Good luck and Happy Hunting.

So... let me get this correct. The ring was stolen, pawned, repurchased, and you gave it back?

LOL

That is one WEIRD ring return, man! LOL I suppose though, she purchased a ring legally, and it's all good... but WOW... what a story.

Back
Top Bottom