Chain link fences and metal buildings?

Reloader

Is it possible to get near either without false readings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on the machine.My Tesoro Compadre with a 8" coil gets the closest of anything that I have tried so far.metal post like swingset legs and what have you is where it really shines.I can get as close by using a 4" coil on the silver sabre but that requires a coil change since a 4" coil isn't a practical every day use like the Compadre 8" coil is.

Do a few tests to see what settings work the best...drop a D close to the fence, use that to set yourself up...then you know what you are dealing with...usually you have to drop sens quite a bit, and listen for a strange break in the overload...keep moving that dime closer to get an idea of your constraints.

I can get pretty close to the big iron in totlots and along chain link with my F70 and 11"dd coil...certainly not the right rig for the job, but I've been using it for so long, I can tell if theres a target in there right close but masked...

Smaller coils work better here.

Some elliptical shape can work,,,but odds based on my experiences,,small round or small slightly out of round.

Remember sometimes,,better to have your target pass more near the center of coil,,,to get more accurate reading,,,meter and tone wise.

You can, but to reduce noise by the fence/building, you will need an elliptical coil, and you may need to cut down sensitivity slightly. I have no problem near chain link fences with by 6x10DD Elliptical coil. It only sounds if I go under the fence.

I'm new to metal detecting and Im having the same problem. I have a Garrett AT pro using pro zero mode can't get anywhere near a fence with it. What settings should I try?

I've found numerous silver coins with a small coil close to chain fences, a very overlooked area for this reason. Most coils can't get close enough. With the right equipment and settings it can be done.

Areas near doors and gates and walkways I use my pinpointer. The TRX will ratchet down to an inch if needed. I find it a very hot area that is missed by many.

Tell you what...you get good at hunting the 'hard spots' nobody else can get near or wants to attempt...You get better than the average Joe that never took the time to learn their rig, or the casual hobbiest out for a stroll......

Theres Treasure in those tough zones! Out of range for the skills of the noob, and too troublesome to hunt for an old guy...Thats the basic dealio...

As if this Sport aint tough enough, You are in competition with every coil swinging peckerwood in your area!...Luckily, The real few Global dirt Masters that know what they are doing are hunting other things.....thats it in a nutshell....All you gotta do is beat your local competition to score some nice finds!...basically stealing candy from a baby!:laughing:

I've never tried this but I read on another site that you can take a small coil(A Whites 4x6 in this example) and get near the fence/totlot iron structures, and ground balance much of the interference out. Lowering sens in tandom also makes sense. Manual, locked GB.

all good post.

Only think I think you all missed was to swing very slow and listen for the detetor to pop that target among the low grunts.

To be honest, you can bet most obvious areas have been searched. The old hands know some secrets to help ya if you listen to em here.

What you need is a small concentric coil and a metal detector with iron zone partly cut off.

Garrett ACE + 4,5" sniper coil :cool:
+1

I find a ton of change along the fences at the edge of basketball courts with this combo. Haven't learned how to ignore the bits of fencing wire yet though. I get an occasional ping when I pass the vertical fence posts. With this coil/machine combo, I am able to run at my normal sensitivity setting (2 down from the top (~75%)) in Zero-Disc mode.

I'm new to metal detecting and Im having the same problem. I have a Garrett AT pro using pro zero mode can't get anywhere near a fence with it. What settings should I try?

You can try to lower the sensitivity some, but the metal edge will still trigger. The ATP is real sensitive to big metal. It's tough to get within 2ft of any metal structures. One thing you can try is sweeping right next to the metal and see if it gives a steady constant VDI off of it (+/-1 or 2) and then drag the edge and if you get a bounce of any other VDI's then there could be another target next to it. When I rub against playground poles in my area, I get about 53 on the small ones and 69 on the larger swingset poles but that's just some equipment in my area. Others hit 89 and chain link fences read like massive silver hits, but you can tell it's the fence because it slowly builds the closer you get.

Besides a smal coil and swinging low heres what I do.

I like my original black garret pin pointer and use it under bleachers and around large metal. Your detector is going to pick up the best target, and you will have to do all the above to get a signal through.

Turn the sensitivity way down. Different machines and different coils react differently to nearby fences ,etc. Back when I was using a Garrett ace 250 with the hockeypuck sniper coil I found I could get extremely close to chain link fences and metal poles , it wasn't perfect but I could get in there pretty close and even when the coil was picking up the nearby metal too I was usually able to detect single buried targets as well. I haven't tried using a sniper coil with my AT pro but I suspect because of the way they are made ( identical to the ace 250 sniper coil ) it may work well. Whatever detector you use though , that's one of the things the little sniper coils are made for and it may be worth investing in one if you have the funds.

Its also not always about the coil you use , its how you use it. Experiment with different ways and speeds of moving the coil around fences, etc. Wiggles , angles , up and down or sometimes circular motions can enable to to identify other targets among all the noise coming from the fence. There is an art to it and it takes patience but fencelines and around metal poles are some of the least detected patches of ground and are worth attempting for that reason , a lot of people avoid them.

I've never tried this but I read on another site that you can take a small coil(A Whites 4x6 in this example) and get near the fence/totlot iron structures, and ground balance much of the interference out. Lowering sens in tandom also makes sense. Manual, locked GB.

+1. I've done this with my MXT with reasonable success. Make your sweeps parallel to the fence, trying to maintain the same distance from your coil to the fence.

Now, do you really want to know the trick. For tot lot and parks. Them. Post are no problem if you use a Compadre with the small coil. What you do is come into the post slowly. Your coil might even touch the post and you get a loud beep. Now, coming toward the post slowly and you get 2 beeps right next to it. DIG. When a coin or ring is close to the posr, the detector will beep on both. If you swing across in front of the post, you will most probly get 2 beeps. The reason for that is, your coil will beep as the coil starts to pass the post and another beep on the passing of the post.
So, with a little practice. You will learn that with the right detector and coil, you can find items next to the post. Put a coin about a foot away from a post. Try swing back and forth. See what happens. Than swing SLOWLY toward the coin. Listen for that double beep.
Now try moving that coin closer and do the same thing you did the first time. Keep doing it till you can keep hearing double beeps. I say double beeps because I use a tesoro, and that is what you get, beep, beep.
I do not know what a detector with a screan will tell you.
Good luck. Please try this. I hope this helps.
KEN

Back
Top Bottom