Dirtfishing Newbie Hobbit from New Zealand Reporting In

The pinpointer is not a neccessity but it does help to get to the target faster. Depending on your hunting style, part of this hobby is trying to cover as much ground as possible with limited time. Anything to get into and out of the dirt faster, neater, cleaner is a bonus but not completely neccesary, and many dual use items can be substituted...just whatever you find works for you best.

Explore the forum to see what works best for others, read reviews and ask questions if you don't know or need advice. We've all been new here!

I guess it's going to be quite the test of my patience, Novice. Until I can afford a pinpointer, I'll have to employ what we call in New Zealand some Number 8 Fencing Wire technology. We're quite well known for our inventiveness here, as you used to have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks for parts for our cars, milking sheds or a new set of gumboots (called Wellingtons over there?), so we have had to supplement many a carburettor jet with something made of washers soldered together or whatever. We may be non-height-amplified, but we're pretty creative when we have to be. :lol:

I guess it's going to be quite the test of my patience, Novice. Until I can afford a pinpointer, I'll have to employ what we call in New Zealand some Number 8 Fencing Wire technology. We're quite well known for our inventiveness here, as you used to have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks for parts for our cars, milking sheds or a new set of gumboots (called Wellingtons over there?), so we have had to supplement many a carburettor jet with something made of washers soldered together or whatever. We may be non-height-amplified, but we're pretty creative when we have to be. :lol:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

....over here we sometimes try to improvise with duct tape and coat hanger wire to fix some things (but my wife is not crazy about some of my improvised fixes :lol:)

Last edited:
Youtube has videos with help in learning various detectors, I just did a search online and found a few about the Minelab 505 X-terra to start -

.....now I haven't watched those myself, but hopefully they will be helpful to you.

You can find more, just do a search on youtube for "Minelab 505 X-terra"

Thank you again for the further welcomes. This truly is a friendly site - nice. :grin:

Gary - thank you for those video links. Yep, many a Holden car in NZ has been furnished with the traditional Kotanga radio aerial. It's the Fords that need the duct tape. :D

Nevets - yeah, Nazgûls are a nasty piece of work alright, but it's the prolific Orc that's the major problem when you get out into the boondocks a bit. However, nothing a further bit of duct tape can't sort out... :lol:

Sweet Shards of Narsil! I like your writing style! You certainly fell in with the "Fellowship of the Ping" here! If you can hunt as half as good as your syllabationary riddlerly aplomb interwebberry skills, You should be as joyfully inebriated as a Prancing Pony Patron!

Make sure you give your dirt weapon a decent and worthy name.! Thats the big thing, you gotta become one with your gear, as it speaks to you in its secret and runic tongue..Consider this carefully, for it is of utmost importance to your successful quest!...

If you feel aggressive, you can go with 'Balrog, RingWraith, Warg, SilverGoblin', MoriaMetalMonster even ...Or on the more subtle side, as a general hobbiest hobbit not expecting much, but out and about for general purpose sunny day garden vegetable plunder close to home forays...'PennyPippen' is cute and acceptable.....

FWIW, My F70 is "CladHammer"...My AtPro is "MithrilMan"...see? I never venture into the dangerous out of doors without them! And yes, the damn things glow blue in certain wild situations, thats a nice feature! So definitely ask for that option!

I will also add..there aint chit to be found in the Shire!...A person really has to go out into the dangerous Wilds!...Out there and back again! Report! Look out for those damn big spiders though, and creepy little bug eyed skinny bastards of any make and model...Like a Ford Taurus, sure it looks harmless and easy to handle on the lot.....You probably know this...just thought it would be helpful to the other readers...

Last edited:
Sweet Shards of Narsil! I like your writing style! You certainly fell in with the "Fellowship of the Ping" here! If you can hunt as half as good as your syllabationary riddlerly aplomb interwebberry skills, You should be as joyfully inebriated as a Prancing Pony Patron!

Make sure you give your dirt weapon a decent and worthy name.! Thats the big thing, you gotta become one with your gear, as it speaks to you in its secret and runic tongue..Consider this carefully, for it is of utmost importance to your successful quest!...

If you feel aggressive, you can go with 'Balrog, RingWraith, Warg, SilverGoblin', MoriaMetalMonster even ...Or on the more subtle side, as a general hobbiest not expecting much, but out and about for general purpose sunny day garden vegetable plunder close to home forays...'PennyPippen' is cute and acceptable.....

FWIW, My F70 is "CladHammer"...My AtPro is "MithrilMan"...see? I never venture into the dangerous out of doors without them! And yes, the damn things glow blue in certain wild situations, thats a nice feature! So definitely ask for that option!

I will also add..there aint chit to be found in the Shire!...A person really has to go out into the dangerous Wilds!...Out there and back again! Report! Look out for those damn big spiders though, and creepy little bug eyed skinny bastards of any make and model...Like a Ford Taurus, sure it looks harmless and easy to handle on the lot.....You probably know this...just thought it would be helpful to the other readers...

Thank you Donsell and dirtydog.

Mud-puppy - funny you should say that. I was thinking the very same thing myself last night, as I leaned over a gin watching a guitarist shred his axe with his teeth while playing George Thorogood better than The Man does himself - I should name my new tool, my companion-to-be, my screen-machine, my coilish collector.

Ironically, I live in a town that has a hole in the middle of it the size of Madagasca, put there by man in the pursuit of the gleaming yellow stuff. Matter of fact, it used to be Martha Hill, but is now Martha Hole. They actually shifted that hill, bit by bit, via conveyer belt, under the ground, to the other side of town. As you do. Here's a link about it if you're feeling readerly.

Now and again a house or two falls into an old underground working somewhere in town, so I guess if my searches for gold are unsatisfying, at the very least I may find me a furnished hobbit-hole to crouch in.

The name of our shire - Waihi (pronounced 'why-he') means 'rising water'. I'm thinking I will stride forth as I mean to go on - boldly - thus I shall name my first detector the Waiheathen Dirtslayer, Slayer for short.

Slayer and I will range from the beach, which is 12 kms from me, to thum thar hills where there used to be a huge gold-mining town, a place called the Karangahake Gorge (meaning the 'calling of the crooked one' - nice and creepy, right?).

We don't have long slithery things around here, thanks be to the gods, but we do have large wild sharpy-tusk pigs, even larger behorned deer, growers of a certain green plant who like to protect their crops with dodgy wire limb-rippers and of course the great New Zealand Weta, so it still pays to be careful and it's entirely possible I'll also be packing my slingshot and a whole lotta marbles. Not for the wetas though. I like wetas. Faces only a mother could love, but they're kinda cool in a prehistorically ugly, prickly kinda way.

And the spiders around here tend to just mind their own business. Although close to Australia, New Zealand broke off from Gondwanaland fairly early in the piece and it was Australia that copped all them thur deadly creatures while we drifted into cooler waters where they mostly died out and generally left us in peace. So no snake-proof boots for me. I definitely want the blue-glow option though for orc and ringwraith-repelling purposes. Pesky critters.

Love it! 'Waiheathen Dirtslayer!' Thats the ticket! FWIW, Theres a Kiwi Smeagol on another forum who hunts gold on your fair island...."dmnz" He wields a Garrett ATX........He finds 100+gold rings per season hunting the beaches of Lothlorian and there abouts...

Yes, we also have our share of Farmer Maggots guarding their Longbottom Leaf crops with all sorts and sundry forms of pointy and aggregious impediments....as a professional quadruped procurer for many seasons in the NA hinterlands, I naturally pay attention and am quite sneaky above the norm!...I dont often brag, for good reason, but in this case I will! I am one sneaky invisible burgluray SOB!:laughing:

As you know, A nimble Barefooter trods lightly, develops a keen awareness of footal placement protocols...and can generally immediately recognize and avoid such constraints....

On another Note! A well fired marble, stone, or steel ball bearing out of a WristRocket is a projectile not to be discounted!...In fact, ballistically speaking, due to inherent Kinetics, a speedy projectile fired from such has a down range punch that would knock an Uruk-Hai out of their boots and steel underpants most damnably! The good thing is you dont need a license to carry...and its quiet...:laughing::laughing:

No shortage of Uruk-Hai running around at all hours though!...its getting damn hard to go anywhere unnoticed...

This is a big Dangerous Planet!....a person has to be small and quiet and invisible to have any hope of getting out of here alive! Not only that, we gotta find GOLD! Magic Rings help of course....WristRockets for backup...

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome from California. Advice? Lay some of the things/coins you will be hopeing to find on the ground, about a foot apart, and swing your new machine over them. Get used to the noise each item makes and the numbers the indicate. I just listen for good sounds, and look for good numbers on my machine and dig those targets so I'm not digging a lot of trash. Although some folks dig everything, and end up with a lot of trash, but find a few good treasures with junk id's. Also, you can use a shovel, you probably already have a shovel. Dig where you think your target is, and each time you take out a shovel full, check the hole, it the target is not in the hole, check the pile of dirt thrown out of the hole, and it should be there, then pick up a hand full from the pile and swing it across the coil until you hear the target in your hand, and hunt the dirt in your hand for your treasure. Also, go slow, take your time. And know, the next target you swing your coil over, may be a good find. Practice in and around your yard to learn your machine, and then go somewhere, where people have been visiting, and losing valuables for a long time, like beaches, parks, swimming holes, picnicking areas, etc.
Good Luck

Thank you Lost and WBL.

Mud Puppy - I guess a hundred gold rings would be a good start. :D I'll still keep an eye out for that chestful of dubloons though. I may have to invest in some come-near-a-scopes so I can watch pirates leaving from a very safe distance and then go a-raiding. Everywhere I see a cross is fair game, I reckon. Geez, I hope none of them is reading this... :shock:

I have a friend who's rather keen to come awandering with me and she is a rather spectacular-looking woman who isn't backward in coming forward when it comes to cracking stock-whips. So she'll either be a distraction or have my back, either of those being dashed acceptable in my books.

On a ballistic level, I find that it's a darned sight less expensive to lose my marbles than to lose metal shot. And also, I'm less likely to kill someone with marbles. Then I'd have to dig a grave to hide their body and - wait, on second thought, I might find some booty... :cool:

Hikerdude - Thank you for taking the trouble to write that advice. Much appreciated. I shall practice all of that. A shovel you say? Looks like I may need to find me a slave. One who will dig holes and graves while I play with Slayer and look all scientific and important-like. Thing is, it's so hard to find decent unpaid help these days. Le sigh...

I had a thought last night (almost recovered now) that maybe the local rugby grounds might be a good target too. Them rugby spectators can get mighty excited at times (this is All Black country, you see - dunno if you've heard of them but they tend to win all manner of pretty cups and things all over the world) and with any luck while they've been jumping up and down and jeering at the ref, coins will have been bouncing out of their pockets and into the long grass. As we say over here, it's worth a crack Nigel.

Only 24 hours to go and I'll be eyeballs-deep in instructions and unsolicited beeping noises. I suppose I'd better take all my toe rings off.

Come to Mama, my beautiful Slayer, let us begin what is to be an ardent and lucrative relationship. Did I say lucrative? I'm sure I was typing loving...

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom