Etrac coil

REDOC

Forum Supporter
Was thinking bout adding a coil to my etrac. Have seen big used but no sniper coils. Have a little extra $$ so any thoughts? Bigger coil for deeper silver? Would think the area would have to be pretty clean for those larger coils.

I wouldnt go bigger than 13" coil for depth. Anything bigger than a tornado or ultimate on etrac doesnt seem to gain any more depth on coins. At least around here. Thunder, tornado, ultimate all get about an inch more in ground than stock. I'm more of small coil person myself.

Yep

Yea I was thinking smaller also. Another NEl snake maybe? Love it with my Atpro. See your one of the great sponsors here. Will check it out.

You should consider possible additional weight factor.

Also,,where do you usually hunt???

Around old houses,,,,IMO stock coil is big enough,,,can be too big.

I have used and had great luck with 6x8 SEF coil,,,built like a tank,,,pretty darn deep too,,,and can squeeze in better amongst more nails and junk.

Some folks actually,,,all they run is this coil,,,put stock coil in closet.

Your decision,,,I tried a larger,,actually a couple,,,,didn't tickle my fancy.

Yea I was thinking smaller also. Another NEl snake maybe? Love it with my Atpro. See your one of the great sponsors here. Will check it out.

6" detech, x5, sharp, snake all great for small. I'm personally loving the x8 lately. Near depth of 11" and small enough to work the trash a bit. I'm not sure if they are still made? Anyway, basically whatever you pick should work well. The 5" detech is older and kind of weak. Wouldn't get one of those. 6" eq2 is very good though

I'm a hardcore believer in the Detech Ultimate 13, this is bigger and lighter than the stock coil. I feel it also separates better and is deeper, But the fact that it is noticeable lighter than the stock coil impresses me the most due to the fact I can swing longer with less fatigue

I've used the u13 on both my whites and my Etrac. If I bought another machine, I would order one for it, without hesitation.

As far as the smaller coil, I do like the 6x8 SEF, while I haven't used it a lot the number of users giving praises to the entire SEF series made me check into them. The size made me buy one, I have a tiny shooter coil for my whites and feel that's too small even for the old home sites I hunt. The 6x8 seems like the perfect size for me.

13" Ultimate

I'm a hardcore believer in the Detech Ultimate 13, this is bigger and lighter than the stock coil. I feel it also separates better and is deeper, But the fact that it is noticeable lighter than the stock coil impresses me the most due to the fact I can swing longer with less fatigue

I've used the u13 on both my whites and my Etrac. If I bought another machine, I would order one for it, without hesitation.

As far as the smaller coil, I do like the 6x8 SEF, while I haven't used it a lot the number of users giving praises to the entire SEF series made me check into them. The size made me buy one, I have a tiny shooter coil for my whites and feel that's too small even for the old home sites I hunt. The 6x8 seems like the perfect size for me.

For my Etrac I have the stock coil, a Detech 9.5x5.5, a Coiltech 15" WOT coil and the Detech 13" Ultimate coil. The 13" is my favorite for depth and weight. I like them so much I bought one for my MXT All Pro and my Fisher F75. Amazing coil.

I just ordered a mars sniper and tiger to test on the e-trac. They work so well on my x-terra I wanted to see what they would do on the e-trac. Will let you know in 2 weeks how they do.

I just picked up the 8x6 sef and its such a great sized coil. I use it in a trash park/fairgrounds and it does well separating signals. The bonus is the depth is very good and almost gets as deep as the pro coil

To be honest

One of my favorite coils running land in trashy places like school yard sidewalk strips, that had better depth than the 6 was the SEF 8x6 coil, on the Etrac, for the larger coil, i preferred the 10x12 sef over the stock and ultimate 13, it ran real smooth & great depth, with good separation, the FBS 8 coil is the go to coil for around water, or in shallow water,and land, happy hunting, Earl

This year,after some deep soul searching and thinking about things,I'm going to use small coils while in schools and city parks that are a smaller area. If in a field,then it makes sense that where there aren't many targets,a larger coil would be used. But I keep thinking to myself..."why do I go back to ALL these places and consistently find more coins??" Well,this is where the soul searching comes in. It's because I walked over them in the first place. I think we all do,all the time,because we don't know any better. I'm going to test this out in earnest when the weather gets better...just searching very small,pre-determined patches of ground to really see if anything is there.
If I could have only ONE coil for my Explorer2, it would be the X-8. Luckily,I am allowed to have many...from 5" to 13". The X-8 is the perfect EVERYTHING...depth,separation,weight,balance,clean signal....I have found MANY of my best coins with it. I would encourage the OP and anyone else hunting relatively small areas to invest in one or at least borrow one if possible.
The other coils mentioned are great,I own them,they all have their place. Big T turned me on to the Ultimate 13",I just haven't had much of a chance to really use it yet! The X-12 is also a lovely coil...

I currently have 4 coils set up formy Etrac...

SunRay X5.....this little coil is a monster....in super trashy spots it cant be beat. Like a little laser beam....handle full sensitivity in most places I hunt effortlessly. ..it has acounted for more then half my silver since I got it last January.

6x8 sef...i never really gave this coil a chance because of the X5. I have a sale pending on it now, and ordered a Sunray X8 this afternoon.

Stock 11 inch coil.... use it it woods hunting....parks schools ...home permissions. If everything I have read aboug the X8 is true.....it wont see so much use in the future

Nel Tornado.....this is on my machine the majority of the time..I do a lot of field hunting. I will also use this coil at less trashy home sites, and ball fields.

If I stumbled across a deal on a used larger coil...I'll probably try it. And if the X8 lives up to expectations.....I'll order an X12 to test against the NEL

I have very little time with mine but the nel sharpshooter seems like a great coil so far for my etrac. Nice and thin to stick between trees and bushes, small but not too small... And cheap too!

Back
Top Bottom