Time to create a business card

Works for me although I have a niche. Over 800.00 in cash last summer because people have my cards. I have them in marina's up and down the east side of Michigan from Lexington to Detroit. Vistaprint did over two thousand for me.

I gave it a try, but it didnt work very well...I didnt get one call back! Too bad since they looked cool!

Had a big Skull and crossbones on the front, with YARD PIRATE in bold letters...then underneath, my name...Johnny Grasskiller...:laughing:

Just add a photo of an excavator spewing diesel smoke!! :shock: :yes: ;)

Is it worth making business cards? From what I've read so far is that the people who have and use them either don't get any calls or just one. I'm only 17 with no job, so i was wondering if it was worth my time and money to make some, considering i have trouble getting permission when going from door to door. My goal is to make this a fun and pretty serious hobby for me since i usually don't get out of the house much, and I love the idea of not knowing what you're going to find next while metal detecting. I also happen to have a 3d printer, so if it is worth making them i thought of maybe 3d printing some unique business cards. It would make them seem more interesting and possibly have a higher chance of them keeping it, but printing them would take a very long time compared to traditional cards. Hope someone has some interesting input on this, i'd love to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Here is what i might print for my next few visits to people's front doors if anyone thinks it is worth it.

I get numerous calls but it takes much more than just business cards.
There is a local website in my area that caters to specific neighborhoods and I have become a regular poster on it. I offer my services for free and in 2016 I was asked to search for lost items 14 times resulting in 8 returns. Also 8 people invited me to search their yards. All of these are in the historic areas of my town. As a result of these, a local magazine published 2 articles on me, my services and my finds.

The last return involved me searching a yard for a lost wedding band and took me 2 days to find the ring. The owner was so grateful that I have permission to hunt their 71 acre lakefront property which includes an 1870s homesite where I have found some nice relics. Also he has pursued getting me permission with several friends who own riverfront mansions dating back to the early 1900s. He has also secured a private estate with 588 acres with properties dating to 1858. Furthermore he loves to accompany me while hunting to see what I find. He carries my digger and holds my ATP while I'm digging. We've become good friends and we often take our wives out to dinner together.
His daughter is a teacher at an exclusive private church owned school. Three weeks ago I set up a seeded hunt for an after school group she sponsors. Now she's trying to get permission for me to hunt those properties and 2 of the students' parents have invited me to their homes.

Basically it can be a snowballing result IF you are creative, persistent and willing to make it work. Business cards have helped but it's been elbow grease that's really paid off.

I get numerous calls but it takes much more than just business cards.

Basically it can be a snowballing result IF you are creative, persistent and willing to make it work. Business cards have helped but it's been elbow grease that's really paid off.

I concur and with that said, here is what my card looks like - front and back

2017-02-08acd5.png

Attachments

• 2017-02-08 22_25_41-Document Preview.jpg
    2017-02-08 22_25_41-Document Preview.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 198
Just my .02... I thought it was smart to hand out cards too and found out that it was too "official" and kept getting turned down for permissions as they thought I was some company (in my case magazine) and felt it was too formal, and not just hobbiest. Just my observation with cards....

Hand em a phone number and ask to call if they change their minds if they say no....

Reason I say this, I HAD permission to detect a place and thought it a good idea to hand him a card... next thing I knew he didn't want me to detect anymore...:roll:
I made about two dozen business cards at home and then realized what nectar just said. People may get the image that I work for a larger company and I'm probably just looking to sell them something eventually. Nectar love the idea of giving a phone number if they change they're mind, that way you don't leave all awkwardly lol thanks for sharing nectar! I was thinking of putting a flyer up at the post office with the little tabs with my number on it. I would include my 4 year old daughter as a little extra pull for the elderly folks ;) HH everyone!

Is it worth making business cards? From what I've read so far is that the people who have and use them either don't get any calls or just one. I'm only 17 with no job, so i was wondering if it was worth my time and money to make some, considering i have trouble getting permission when going from door to door. My goal is to make this a fun and pretty serious hobby for me since i usually don't get out of the house much, and I love the idea of not knowing what you're going to find next while metal detecting. I also happen to have a 3d printer, so if it is worth making them i thought of maybe 3d printing some unique business cards. It would make them seem more interesting and possibly have a higher chance of them keeping it, but printing them would take a very long time compared to traditional cards. Hope someone has some interesting input on this, i'd love to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Here is what i might print for my next few visits to people's front doors if anyone thinks it is worth it.

I don't get many call backs, but I know it helps when I am first asking permission. Yes, I recommend having some printed and hand them out.

davitn

In looking at your card it says you are fully insured. What kind of insurance do you have to metal detect someone's property?

Ray

I have passed out my cards with no success.

You have to sell yourself. If you can get a call back number your one step closer. Check back on a weekly basis. Show finds, and be real. Smile too.

My cards have me and my equipment. I thought about a new set with the code of ethics on the back might help too.

I place a few cards around town where I can get permission. But usually I am approached by some one when when Im actually detecting, so I keep a card in my cell phone to give out.

davitn

In looking at your card it says you are fully insured. What kind of insurance do you have to metal detect someone's property?

Ray

I think it for that if you get hurt on the owners property you can't blame them then

Back
Top Bottom