Amazing and shocking update on my silver disc

Chipk

Elite Member
Ok there will be scoffers. That’s ok, I understand. Personally if I hadn’t done this myself I would doubt this myself.

But it’s true. 100%.

I posted earlier about a thin silver disc I found. At first I thought it was a can lid but the bail on it made me give it a second look. And a third and a fourth. Took me an hour of scrubbing baked on muck away and then repeated baths in boiling water, baking soda and salt in aluminum foil to remove tarnish so I could see details.

As I reported it’s obviously Scottish in origin. There is a lion, thistle, heather, sword, the Scottish National Motto and the Gaelic phrase “I Mak Sichr” which means “I Make Sure”. This phrase caught my eye because it is on the Kirkpatrick Family Crest and I am a Kirkpatrick.

This phrase was credited to Sir Roger Kirkpatrick in 1306 when he helped Robert The Bruce become King of England. Kirkpatrick was 3rd cousin to Bruce and his best friend. He was also 1st cousin to William Wallace (Braveheart). Bruce had a rival for the Scottish crown, a man called The Red Comyn. They agreed to meet in a church where SUPPOSEDLY each would be safe. However Bruce pulled a dagger and wounded Comyn and fled. When Kirkpatrick learned Comyn was not dead, he uttered the phrase (I Make Sure) and went and killed Comyn.

Look it up. All historical.

So I see that phrase and wondered if there might be a relationship of that disc to my ancestors. But I immediately dismissed it as highly unlikely.

Well part of the engraving included a line saying “TOUCHAND I PEARCE” which we assumed was a name. We Googled every combination of that name without results.

I posted the story and pictures on a number of forums and sites including several Scottish Facebook sites. And yesterday I got an answer.

It seems we were reading it wrong. It actually says “TOUCH AND I PEARCE (PIERCE)” meaning touch me and be stabbed. Apparently my ancestors were pretty aggressive and vicious. Furthermore she guided me to a site which explained this was the Kirkpatrick family motto BEFORE the Comyn incident.

I had never known this. And it seems I actually found some sort of family relic!!!

Now it’s known that a lot of Scotsmen were sent to this area to help fight the Spanish in the 1500s and 1600s. Did a kinsman lose this here and centuries later I recovered it? Karma? Destiny? Pure dumb luck?

Ok. Begin scoffing. I don’t blame you. But this is ALL true.

I’m still in shock and have a lot of research to do. What is this? What is it’s purpose? How old is it? I’ll probably never know.

Attachments

• 19C67CC5-C293-40DA-A7C2-CE315FE79789.jpg
    19C67CC5-C293-40DA-A7C2-CE315FE79789.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 965
  • ED0C76CE-2BB9-4594-B134-7F28B42F2764.jpg
    ED0C76CE-2BB9-4594-B134-7F28B42F2764.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 966
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 999
Thanks for the update! I was telling my Wife about your amazing and unique find yesterday...Wow...pretty dang cool...with a Familial connection.....Congratulations Chip!

Wow again awesome find and awesome details in the research! Congrats that is very cool!

Based on the family history, I would probably reduce the amount of adult beverages at the family functions. :laughing: JK

what about the WW, did anyone have any ideas where that come from, if it wasn't from William Wallace?

That is super cool. When I was stationed over in England me a buddy took a drive up to Scotland and took a tour of the William Wallace monument. Really cool place, Had what was believe to be the actual sword the belonged to him as well as the crown jewels of Scotland. What I did find humorous though was the photos of William Wallace were the spitting image of Mel Gibson, Think they used some movie posters in there. :laughing:

That is amazing. I like to find the line of old history and it seems you found and are the line of your old history.

Congrats on the amazing find! Great history behind that relic and your family. Spooky that you dug it up.........wow.

Really really fantastic find, got to be beyond coincidence you coming across this amazing relic. Congratulations

That's crazy awesome!! When I look at that it reminds me of a love token kinda. Are the edges of it reeded? Could it have possibly been a silver dollar at some point that one of your ancestors or relatives carved?

Excellent work doing your follow up research! I thought that piece was really awesome when you first posted it but the story is even more awesome!

Back
Top Bottom