Small Town Life

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
The population of my town has doubled in my lifetime. The 2016 census has it at almost 15 thousand people. No wonder there's traffic.
Even with all the new people moving in it still has the small town feel. If I go to a convenience store (before 6 PM on a Sunday, that's when they roll up the sidewalks) I always see some one I know. It could be 2 days or 6 months since we talked but it's always the same, how's the family, what's going on, just small talk but it's always nice to see old friends.
This morning I stopped at the bagel shop and someone tapped me on the shoulder, it was my mailman, he asked if I was expecting a package. It's a rainy foggy day so he gave it to me then so it wouldn't get wet on my porch if I wasn't home.
Yeah I like small town life.

I don't like "town" life at all. I much prefer rural life, where I rarely even see my neighbors much less anyone else. The two towns nearest to me don't even have traffic lights, but they are still too big for me to want to live in.

For the last 20 plus years the town clerk has held the first dog license for my father. My dog is always number one.

For the last 20 plus years the town clerk has held the first dog license for my father. My dog is always number one.

Thats a very Wolfie looking dog you got there Quaid! Re: small towns...I like being able to stop and gas up without going inside to pay first...

I am definitely not a city person. I get all kinds of anxious and nervous in crowded areas and in city traffic. I lived in Houston for about 9 months and saw on the news that there was a murder about a mile from my house and that was it. I packed up everything and went back to my small home town in NE Texas. I now live in a very small community in the Texas Hill Country near the Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake. It is a great relaxed place to live which is right up my alley. I don't know a lot of people here but social interaction in person is not my thing anyway. I have my family and that's about it. I do most of my social interaction online. I do enjoy belonging to a metal detecting group and going on group hunts so I plan to go to a meeting and join the San Antonio Metal Detecting Club in January.

After previously living in a big city (Baltimore) we are glad we moved to the small town of Winnsboro, SC about 12 years ago.

In Baltimore we often had to sit doubled-parked for 30 minutes or more waiting for a parking space to open up so we could park within a block of our house when we got home from work.

Our home in Winnsboro includes 1 1/2 acres of ground, no waiting on a parking space now :lol:

Very friendly place, total strangers will smile and say hi when you are walking around town.

The population of Winnsboro was 3,550 at the 2010 census.

We even have a large town clock which has run continuously for 100 years, the longest continuously running clock in the United States.

http://www.townofwinnsboro.com/

townofwinnsboro_logo.jpg

Thats a very Wolfie looking dog you got there Quaid! Re: small towns...I like being able to stop and gas up without going inside to pay first...

That is a wolf, I took that picture a few years ago at a wolf preserve.
The dog I have now is what I call a beerdale, part beagle and part Airedale. If other people can have labradoodles,I can have a beerdale.

I have a chance to switch to a smaller city which is kind of a where I live as it was 20 years ago.. on the fence?

Always lived my whole life here not good with changes.

This topic may have some influence on my decision,

It seems as we get older our parties get bigger, We're mostly around 50 so the kids and grandkids are there.

Last edited:
I am definitely not a city person. I get all kinds of anxious and nervous in crowded areas and in city traffic. I lived in Houston for about 9 months and saw on the news that there was a murder about a mile from my house and that was it. I packed up everything and went back to my small home town in NE Texas. I now live in a very small community in the Texas Hill Country near the Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake. It is a great relaxed place to live which is right up my alley. I don't know a lot of people here but social interaction in person is not my thing anyway. I have my family and that's about it. I do most of my social interaction online. I do enjoy belonging to a metal detecting group and going on group hunts so I plan to go to a meeting and join the San Antonio Metal Detecting Club in January.

I hear you. I go camping a few times a year and take the most remote site. It means a 1/4 mile walk to the shower but that's OK with me. The owners of the campground tell people that they aren't renting sites that far up so I'm usually alone there. I don't mind the bears they only make noise when they knock over garbage cans, and they run away when I get close to them.

I hear you. I go camping a few times a year and take the most remote site. It means a 1/4 mile walk to the shower but that's OK with me. The owners of the campground tell people that they aren't renting sites that far up so I'm usually alone there.

I don't mind the bears they only make noise when they knock over garbage cans, and they run away when I get close to them.

......garbage cans ??? .......I thought they went after picnic baskets ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

yogibearbooboo.jpg

While I lived on a farm, the nearest town had 450 people when I started school there. As of 2014 it had over 23,000 people and is still growing. It isn't the same town I remember. A Facebook page about it is nothing but complaints about their neighbors and talk of crime that we never had growing up. I used to know everyone but now I doubt if I know five or six people living there. I hate towns and cities and would rather live in the country.

I grew up in small towns and have lived in a city of about a million for the past 12 years or so. I have to say a small town is a great place to grow up but the conveniences of the larger city will keep me living in the city.

I grew up in small towns and have lived in a city of about a million for the past 12 years or so. I have to say a small town is a great place to grow up but the conveniences of the larger city will keep me living in the city.

Yea I hear you. My problem need a 2O minit ferry ride also,plus 70 dollars back/forth just not sure or ready.

Could try a year nothing ventured nothing gained.

If I had to live in a city, it wouldn't be long before I'd be looking for a tall building and a high powered rifle. Sniper.gif

Yep,John cougar sang it best,small town...I was raised outside of Newark nj till I was 6,then moved to a farm in the country here in Pennsylvania.When I graduated school I worked in the cities across the United States,And I couldn’t wait to get back to the country.Been times in my 20s when I was living and working in the New York City, I’d just pack up,quit my job and be on the road home within a few hours,just had enough...Nothing better than a drunken barn dance,farm girls and paps home made liquor.lol

Yep,John cougar sang it best,small town...I was raised outside of Newark nj till I was 6,then moved to a farm in the country here in Pennsylvania.When I graduated school I worked in the cities across the United States,And I couldn’t wait to get back to the country.Been times in my 20s when I was living and working in the New York City, I’d just pack up,quit my job and be on the road home within a few hours,just had enough...Nothing better than a drunken barn dance,farm girls and paps home made liquor.lol

Tried a shot of mooshine man it was smooth. I do not drink much just wanted a taste.It was from Tennesse(spell)

If I had to live in a city, it wouldn't be long before I'd be looking for a tall building and a high powered rifle. View attachment 402656

There really are safe cities, like murder almost never. Take walks in the dark, the only people that might question you are police officers. I'm in 1 of those places, suburb with low crime surrounded by other low crime suburbs. We have no need to go into most of metro, so no bigger threat than the usual family quarrels.

There really are safe cities, like murder almost never. Take walks in the dark, the only people that might question you are police officers. I'm in 1 of those places, suburb with low crime surrounded by other low crime suburbs. We have no need to go into most of metro, so no bigger threat than the usual family quarrels.
It's not the crime. It's the cubicle dweller mentality. I can't even begin to relate.

Back
Top Bottom