Not just gold and silver is valuable...

dogbit

Elite Member
I admit I don't keep everything I find, though I may start now, but I do keep all the copper scrap I dig and I decided to turn in last year and this years copper. Ended up with almost 45 dollars in copper scrap, plus another 12 for some aluminum I had out back. Well worth carrying the junk out and tossing in my bucket when I get home. :)

pull tabs

Your right about the scrap metal. PEople need to rememember there are other ways to make money from this hoby other than just from coins.

I wonder how much a 5 gallon bucket full of pull tabs would give me?:laughing:

A term used for mixed metals is called "dirty". Dirty examples are: aluminum engine heads/ blocks that have iron parts, copper tubes at joint connections have solder, stainless steel items containing plastic.

Basically every metal should be sorted to the same material.

Copper- Remove as much metal as possible like soldered areas, brass fittings, foam/rubber, tar, iron etc. If this stuff is turned in mixed w/ copper, they consider it dirty and pay a lesser fee. Today the yard accepted copper flash loaded with tar as clean copper for me. That made a 0.30 cent pr lb difference.
Monday I will bring them coffee and doughnuts :)

This applies to other metals also.

Here is a cool site talking about metal scrapping. http://dr-andrew-j-smith.xomba.com/how_to_make_money_recycling_scrap_metal

I'm a scapper period! If you are not doing it for a living but just as a hobby,you have the ability to let it accumilate. This is how I pay for my two yearly vacations.

Well I used to clean up the forest when I was out detect of cans and bottle. I would give the cans to an old guy near me, and some firearm brass as well. The bottles went to the dumpster. Now I dont really run into as much of that here.

I find way more brass than copper, I have buckets and separate everything I find, brass, copper, aluminum etc....last year i turned in my brass and copper and got 99 bucks

if you shop around you should be able to get between 50-70 cents a pound for lead.

food cans and cat food cans

Hey guys I was thinking, I have a few cats and the cans are made of metal and the tops might be aluminum? They are the kind that you pull off, I was wondering, I often place all my metal cans on the sidewalk for the recycle guys to take away.

Are these cans worth keeping for scrap?

How about the tops of cat food cans?

What do you think?

I took a bunch of used tupperware containers and labeled them and I separate out all my trash about once a week. I have containers for brass, copper, lead, a big box for aluminum, and a big box for iron/other junk. Once they all get full, I'll take them to the local recycling center that's down the street from where I work.

Any of you guys have an answer for me regarding the cat food cans?

Save as many as room allows then bring them to a scrap yard. Call the scrap yard and see if they pay a higher or less price if they were separated. Of course if possible crush the cans to get max space use. :)

Copper scrap run

$74 paid at the scrap yard for 31lbs copper :) It was copper flashing so a lot of tar was there. Wasn't worth taking 2 hours to clean the tar off for that extra few bucks.

If you have space to make collection piles, it's worth that little bit of extra cash.

Thanks guys for the tip, does anyone know what the top of cat cans are made of? It's very easy to peel them back to open, I was thinking maybe aluminum?

Back
Top Bottom