Hello from the up must upper part of NY

Gearheadmike

Hello everyone i'm new here and to detecting. I Live in upstate NY about 15 min from the Canadian and Vermont border. I always wanted to have my own metal detector and in a few days will. I'm getting the Garrett Ace 250.

I always wanted to find and dig up lost stuff with history to it,and learn about the past from it's time. The county i'm in (Clinton County NY) was once a battle place of the many in the Forgotten War Of 1812
With the Battle of Plattsburgh. Also a lot of old homes and farms in my area.
Hope to get some help guiding me through the metal detecting ill soon be doing!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Sounds like you have some good hunting areas !

While you're waiting for it to arrive you can search for videos to watch about using it, here is one example -

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Thanks everyone i got at least 3 houses on my road i believe was built in the 1800's i'm hoping to get permission from them.
Unfortunately this snow we have is sticking around for a little longer :( but it gives me time to also check with the laws/City historic museum about detecting in possibly historic areas around here.
I plan no matter what if i find something i believe to be historic to bring it to the local museum to see if they want it for display etc.

... it gives me time to also check with the laws/City historic museum about detecting in possibly historic areas around here.
I plan no matter what if i find something i believe to be historic to bring it to the local museum to see if they want it for display etc.

Gearhead-mike: Welcome to the forum. A word of advice: If you are skittish and wonder about law/rules, then ..... no ... you don't go trotting off to the museum to ask "can I?". Be aware that a lot of museums are staffed (board of directors, etc...) by archie mindset type people. And will/could *bristle* at the thought of md'ing. And paint overly bleak dire warning "no's". (citing b*llcr*p that doesn't even apply)

And also don't go trotting to city hall, etc... Lest you bump into the "safe answer to your pressing question" psychology. If you had some reason to wonder about a certain place: You look up laws/rules for yourself. If you see nothing in the rules that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

Naturally you don't go snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments during an archie convention. And , of course, don't be in the middle of deep retrievals in nice manicured turf if busy-bodies are watching.

As for donating nicer stuff to museums, that would/should only be for something super unique to *just* the history of that museum's theme . You don't need to go offering any old cool coin for donation. I can tell you, as a worker in 2 museums myself: 99.9% of all the stuff that gets donated to museums will never see the light of day again. There's simply not floor space or docent/staff time to keep perpetually rotating all the stuff, that gets donated, from well-meaning public.

Thanks i just don't know 100% sure where to check for the laws here. NY can be odd on some of there laws.

Thanks i just don't know 100% sure where to check for the laws here. NY can be odd on some of there laws.

In this day and age of computers, there's hardly a single public entity ANYWHERE that doesn't have their muni codes, laws, and park rules on-line to be looked up.

If you still feel that whatever you've found on-line isn't comprehensive enough (eg.: park closes at sunset, no fireworks, dogs on leash, etc....), the you can go to the entity administration office and ask "Where can I find a list of all the rules pertinent to the use of the park ?". They will direct you to where it can be looked at in binder/print form. Or will direct you to the web-link.

If they say "what is it that you needed to know?" , you stick to your guns and say "to know where the rules/laws are in print form".

The trouble with asking: "Can I metal detect?", is that you run the risk of arbitrary whimsical "no". Simply because they envision geeks with shovels, and just pass out the "safe answer" (when in fact, no one really cares)

Back
Top Bottom