Garrett ATPro with Double D Coil info?

RobertM

I have a Garrett ATPro on the way. Anyone use these who can help with any advice for using? I believe it comes with a 5x8 coil OK for the forest and mountain relic hunting...but I am guessing a larger coil would be better for covering beaches. ???

2 years detecting with the ATPro and I haven't been to a beach, or used anything other than the stock coil. Once you figure out how you like to hunt, the pro is a turn on and go machine. The manual does a lousy job explaining ground balancing. I manually balance mine and try to find the halfway point between low grunts and high pitch ones. Some dirt that can be a 10 point spread other dirt it's 2. I very seldom have to change it if I'm within 50 miles of home. If it does need changed it's normally because of funky fill dirt. Don't try to max out the sensitivity, 2 bars down from max is as high as you need to go, unless your on some really good dirt.

That 5x8 coil is probably my favorite coil ever made, its so versatile, and can hit good targets at 8"+. Unfortunately, mine has seen alot of rocks and sticks in the woods and is pretty beat up, but it still works after 7+ years. It can get into tight areas where alot of coils can't and I think that's where a vast majority of my success has come from. Good luck, watch alot of YouTube and read a bunch on here, lot's of solid members with EXCELLENT advice. Happy hunting! :cool:

I hunt primarily old house sites in the woods. I prefer the 5x8 coil over the larger stock coil. Separates much better, lighter, easier and quicker to use and pin point (wiggle technique). Probably loose a bit of depth, but never confirmed with testing, so just a guess.

Its a fun detector and it has found a lot of goodies for me. I quickly became tired in my wrist and and arm because of its nose heavyness. I installed the smaller 5by 8 coil and what a big difference in swinging it!
I usually run mine with iron audio off disced up to 40. Nothing else disced out. Oh yeah, I run it in pro mode only with earphones so I can hear all the subtle and not so subtle sounds.
Happy hunting! I forgot to mention to slow you swing speed in high trash areas, its not a Fisher or a Tesoro with fast recovery speed.

Last edited:
I had the Atpro with the 8x11" DD for a few years...Bought it stock from a Forum Sponsor....a few years later, I tipped it with the NEL Thunder coil...on account of I used my Pro specifically on beach and fresh water environments and needed the larger footprint...

I wrote nice reviews and posts regarding the finds...So Yeah..for wide open areas like beaches, flat clear fields, and water hunting, the NEL Thunder...

Attachments

• nel pro2.jpg
    nel pro2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 251
  • oct 6-16-3.jpg
    oct 6-16-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 291
  • oct 6-16.jpg
    oct 6-16.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 247
  • sept 2617-2.jpg
    sept 2617-2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 257
I use the 5x8 98% of the time. I've used it on the beach in the dry sand and found a few things...just once on the beach....but it seemed to do pretty well. The stock coil will def cove r more ground...

Concur with the 5x8" coil. I have four different coils for the ATMax, ranging from the NEL 5" round Snake, up to the NEL Storm.

The Snake coil is very specialized, covering very little ground. I've only used it once, in a very trashy group of cabins built in 1942 for Naval Aviation students. It's like swinging a cotton ball, but it requires a lot of swinging to cover ground.

The Storm, same thing...only used once. It'll cover a lot of ground, but it'll also wear you out due to the weight. Pinpointing using the wiggle method is difficult. I hunt mainly parks and sports complexes that aren't all that old and there isn't anything deep enough to warrant the weight.

The 5x8" is a perfect compromise. I've found an IH penny at 8-9" and sardine cans at 14". It's worth the money to get one of these coils.

I have a Garrett ATPro on the way. Anyone use these who can help with any advice for using? I believe it comes with a 5x8 coil OK for the forest and mountain relic hunting...but I am guessing a larger coil would be better for covering beaches. ???

So I think the big question here is fresh water beaches or salt water beaches?

I have never used my an atpro on a salt beach, but I hear it's not the best performing salt water machine. So I'm not sure the larger coil would enhance any performance.

However I'm a large proponent of larger coils especially when your not dealing with iron infested sites. You will definitely go deeper and have more coverage, and if your on a spot with less ferrous junk, its perfect for that. One initial challenge you might encounter is pinpointing until you learn that particular coil better, but realistically you can learn that in less than a day.

The only other drawback on a freshwater beach you may have is the drag in the water from a larger coil. If you use black tape and wrap your cable to your upper and lower rod (wrapped solid no gaps) it might negate some of that newly acquired drag.

Personally the beach is more than likely a great spot for larger coils.

I have the Garrett 5x8, Garrett 8.5x11, and the NEL Thunder 10.5x14.5. I switch between them regularly.

I found 11 silver coins on my property with the stock 8.5x11 coil before I bought the 5x8. The positive reviewers of the 5x8 claimed they returned to previously hunted areas and found handfuls of missed coins.

After buying the 5x8 coil I returned to areas of my property that I know are loaded with nails and foil. But, these are also walking traffic areas near the house and I'd found a few coins already. I assumed I would unmask some coins with the 5x8 and better separation. Indeed, I could evaluate the signals faster with the 5x8 than the 8.5x11, but I only found one additional coin after what felt like 100 holes and lots of old nails and tiny bits of junk. I could pat myself on the back and say I already did a good job working the 8.5x11 in a trashy area. I've also since learned to be more discriminating with the 5x8 and not dig everything that gives a tiny high tone blip.

Where I did unearth more coins with the 5x8 was in other areas near trees and other obstacles.

Based on my experience, if somebody is finding "handfuls" of coins with the 5x8 in areas they've previously hunted with the 8.5x11, then they were working too quickly, only working in one direction, or simply couldn't/didn't get the coil over the coin. They might have been able to hunt faster if they had the 5x8 first and then followed up with a larger coil.

The 5x8 has lots of strengths. I like it. It's much more maneuverable and much lighter than the stock coil. In some locations it is deep enough. I can assess a target with it faster. I can clear out lots of shallower targets without tiring out my shoulder. But, then I switch to a larger coil. That inch or two can make a difference, especially if I'm already a couple of inches above the soil due to ground ivy, pine needles, or thick grass.

Last edited:
IMO, my old (sold) AT Pro felt nose heavy with the stock coil. It was still a great machine though. I was prepared to buy a 5x8, but my neck basically broke, resulting in surgery and a lengthy recovery.....which ended my detecting for a year or more. With that being said, the 5x8 should work great for you. You'll read that most AT Pro users rave about it compared to the stock coil. It may take just a little more time to cover as much ground as the stock coil. I guess the only trade off would be a slight loss in in depth. Skip getting a stock coil for it and go with a Nel Thunder. I bet it doesn't weigh much, if any more than the stock coil.....I don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in. HH!

Back
Top Bottom