Dug up my test garden..

Lightningjack

Forum Supporter
Today I was going to do some dirt work in my yard, so I decided first I better dig up my test garden that I made a few years back before it would be lost forever, It consisted of 1 Buff Nickle, 1 Indian head penny & 1 Merk dime..I had the Buff planted at 4 inches which I found at around 6 inches, The Indian penny was planted at 6 inches & found it at about 8 inches & the Merk I planted at 8 inches was over 10 inches deep :shock:, If the Merk would have sunk another inch I never would have found it with my Minelab Explorer..The sinking coins was something I never even considered when I made the garden...

They seem to go down pretty quick in this Florida sand. My theory is It's the reason it can be tough to find old silver here.

My yard is probably softer then most, Not sure if its the Gopher I've seen lurking about or what, In some spots I can step & feel my foot sink into the ground..:roll:

Ive found there is a vast array of different sites.One by the river yields 60-70 yr old coins 12" so no chance of finding anything old.Another undisturbed site gives up 300 yr old coins at 4-5".They hit glacial deposits and arent going anywhere after that.Its amazing how they can travel in a short space of time.

Today I was going to do some dirt work in my yard, so I decided first I better dig up my test garden that I made a few years back before it would be lost forever, It consisted of 1 Buff Nickle, 1 Indian head penny & 1 Merk dime..I had the Buff planted at 4 inches which I found at around 6 inches, The Indian penny was planted at 6 inches & found it at about 8 inches & the Merk I planted at 8 inches was over 10 inches deep :shock:, If the Merk would have sunk another inch I never would have found it with my Minelab Explorer..The sinking coins was something I never even considered when I made the garden...

Be careful if you're to long in the yard. And leave a not where you're going to work...:roll:;):D

Never had this here in my test-garden. But may be one day if the moles return...:lol:

They seem to go down pretty quick in this Florida sand. My theory is It's the reason it can be tough to find old silver here.

Tell me about it, I go out to the Beach a couple times a week and rarely find any silver. There probably a couple of feet down. lol

My yard is probably softer then most, Not sure if its the Gopher I've seen lurking about or what, In some spots I can step & feel my foot sink into the ground..:roll:

It wasn't this lil' guy, was it?

Attachments

• gopher.jpg
    gopher.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom