I got the Old, Romy got the Gold!

Compass

Forum Supporter
I found four 100 year old coins today! "Actually 3 are more than 100 years old and 1 is two days shy of the century mark. I met up with forum member Romy this morning to chase out the negative tide. I hunted a low area in the wet sand and shallow water where I started to find a few wheat pennies followed by a silver Roosevelt dime and a worn buffalo nickel. A short time later I scooped out another buffalo, this one dated 1915. When I found a 3rd nickel I thought I pulled off a buffalo nickel hat-trick but was shocked to see a 1911 "V" nickel in my hand!
It wasn't until I got home that I discovered that I had also found a 1906 Indian Head penny! I can't even remember the last IHP I found- it's been many years since the last one. A 1918 Lincoln cent was the oldest of about 8 wheat pennies.
picture.php

Romy, however, had the best find of the day (again) scooping out a beautiful 14K white gold band at the water's edge (see his post for pictures).
picture.php

It sure was a fun and eventful hunt on a warm, sunny day at the beach. :yes: GL&HH!

Right on George! Nice hunt and nice oldies again! :waytogo:

That V-Nickel is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

AAaggghh. That's it. I give up. You guys are killing me. I'm in the wrong part of CA. I'm moving to Southern CA. And will place a gps device on your vehicle so I can figure out what beach you're hitting. Is there any houses on your block for sale ? :lol:

Right on George! Nice hunt and nice oldies again! :waytogo:

That V-Nickel is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Thanks Slim, I haven't found many "V" nickels at the beach (or Buffalo's for that matter) but from what I've seen they seem to do quite well in the salt water. I don't think that I have ever found a "V" nickel with an un-readable date. :yes:

The erosion down to the hard pan :yes:, great time to hunt out on the West coast i would say, congrats George on the Oldies , Earl
Earl, Even though I first detected in the 70's I only started getting serious about beach hunting 7(?) years ago (when I joined this forum). I still learn something every time I go to the beach and this has been especially true on the few hunts I've been on with Romy. :yes:

AAaggghh. That's it. I give up. You guys are killing me. I'm in the wrong part of CA. I'm moving to Southern CA. And will place a gps device on your vehicle so I can figure out what beach you're hitting. Is there any houses on your block for sale ? :lol:
Tom, I'm about a 45 minute drive from the beach so you may want to move closer to Romy. :D Seriously though, Romy has "paid his dues" and deserves all the treasure he has been finding. :yes:

....It sure was a fun and eventful hunt on a warm, sunny day at the beach...

Ha. And I love how you through that in for our poor east coast hunters, who are snowed in and freezing. We may not have LC's and colonial coppers brimming out of every sand box, but we DO have year round hunting :laughing:

George

We are about the same , as for starting, 1st started with a Whites CoinMaster in 1976, in 2009 i had an interest in water hunting, however being 260 miles round trip, with pets , travel , lodging, eating out, made that difficult , 9 years later I am here at the beach, living, i have taken a lot of pounding by the pro's on here ,for not hunting , and not many- find's posted, but 2018 on is my time to blossom , the Mid Atlantic coast isn't like the Florida beaches , or Ca coast line, but finally i have a chance of finding some gold in 2018, Replenishment sand, and sanded in condition's will make it a challenge, the season here is only 3 month's long, fresh drop's mostly , but the land hunting will be good, as civil war history is here, my lot was a split of a farm, 1800s, so i will have fun this spring digging up my yard, looking for that old silver which i love, you all are on a roll over their , getting the old coins means , the old Gold is their waiting 4 U all to find it, sound's like you all have pristine condition's, wish you all on the West coast a great New Year , and Good Luck in 2018, happy hunting, Earl Ps still have my 1st machine in running condition, but i stole the battery holder out of it , because my DF s broke, and it took the same part :lol:, . Still use the aa battery tester on it, on the inside of the back lid.

Attachments

• whites coinmaster.jpg
    whites coinmaster.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 280
Ha. And I love how you through that in for our poor east coast hunters, who are snowed in and freezing. We may not have LC's and colonial coppers brimming out of every sand box, but we DO have year round hunting :laughing:
Tom, I only meant to point out that even for southern California, this has been an unseasonably mild December. I certainly did not intend any disrespect to our East Coast brethren and apologize if anyone took it that way! Still, I am thankful for all the blessings I have, including the options for detecting that we enjoy! :yes:

We are about the same , as for starting, 1st started with a Whites CoinMaster in 1976, in 2009 i had an interest in water hunting, however being 260 miles round trip, with pets , travel , lodging, eating out, made that difficult , 9 years later I am here at the beach, living, i have taken a lot of pounding by the pro's on here ,for not hunting , and not many- find's posted, but 2018 on is my time to blossom , the Mid Atlantic coast isn't like the Florida beaches , or Ca coast line, but finally i have a chance of finding some gold in 2018, Replenishment sand, and sanded in condition's will make it a challenge, the season here is only 3 month's long, fresh drop's mostly , but the land hunting will be good, as civil war history is here, my lot was a split of a farm, 1800s, so i will have fun this spring digging up my yard, looking for that old silver which i love, you all are on a roll over their , getting the old coins means , the old Gold is their waiting 4 U all to find it, sound's like you all have pristine condition's, wish you all on the West coast a great New Year , and Good Luck in 2018, happy hunting, Earl Ps still have my 1st machine in running condition, but i stole the battery holder out of it , because my DF s broke, and it took the same part :lol:, . Still use the aa battery tester on it, on the inside of the back lid.

Earl, Actually, beach conditions here are far from ideal- I'm just as surprised by some recent hunts as anyone. :yes:
I had a similar looking White's at one time as well. If I'm not mistaken mine had vacuum tubes in it! Looking forward to some great finds of yours in 2018- Happy New Year! G.

Nice oldies man, great spot! Good luck and HH in 2018!
Thanks Z, Same to you as well! GL&HH!

Congrats on the Indian, V nickel, pair of Buffalos and the rest. Gotta love finding 100 year old coins on the beach!
Thank you Captain, Certainly not something that I am accustomed to. Definitely a weird type of hunt where the next target could be a zinc penny or an IHP and a shiny pull tab could be a foot deep, and not far away, a silver dime is 1 inch below the surface. :yes: :?: :shock:

The unpredictable nature of striation confusion adds to the wonder of detecting for sure! Also the inverse deterioration of many finds. Newer coins looking like fossils and older coins coming up near new (double bonus!).

Maybe we could start a tent camp on Romy's lawn and have saturation coverage of his hunts. Can we get a Google Maps print out of his more successful hunts?

Back
Top Bottom