Buffalo, Indians and a silver...

Captain Silver

Elite Member
I was going to dirt dig this morning, just because there was 3 inches of rain last night, the first significant soaking in months...so I grabbed a coffee at the bodega and figured I'd sit at the beach for a few and decide where I was going to go while looking at what the storm did...only piled more sand and debris on the slope like usual:roll:...but look at this, all the rain pouring out of the storm drain pipe washed 3 feet of sand away over here...yeah, we're not dirt digging today:laughing: No scoop...but the mini shovel will work as it's down to the clay and rocks dug some greenies, wheaties, a key, junk ring and the usual scrap...then finally a silver after a couple hours...good, I can go home now:yes: everything, ended up with 15 wheats and $1.33 in old clad before I found that silver... also got a Buffalo... and 3 Indians... silver #145... If I had a scoop with me instead of a little shovel I probably would have kept going, would have just begun digging a trench at the wall of the cut and filled it back in behind me as I went along...that tactic has worked very well here in the past and will work again in the future I'm sure. Well, that's all for this outing, see you after the next and Happy Hunting!

Another excellent hunt Captain! Congrats on the cool finds. How would one go about cleaning a crusty piece of silver like that Merc??

Another excellent hunt Captain! Congrats on the cool finds. How would one go about cleaning a crusty piece of silver like that Merc??

I make a paste of baking soda and water and rub like crazy.

Awesome finds Captain!

Good hunt Bruce... I actually hit the beach yesterday as well.. only old find was a buffalo nickel and about seven dollars in change... no gold or silver... the entire length of the beach I hunted had a foot of sand removed from the slope... a dozen of the coins I found were sitting on top of the sand... still no gold after returning that ring... :roll:

Way to take advantage of the opportunity before ya. Nice hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice :yes: looks like fun. And its always a good feeling when you know you're down to the old layers...well as long as you've got targets. Guess its the worst feeling when you're in the rocks and only finding pull tabs washed in by the waves :laughing::p

Congrats on a great hunt Captain! Beach silver is always welcome but many of us would love to find an Indian Head penny at the beach. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom