Old Clock Identification

NewEngland15

Good Morning All,

Hope everyone had a great Independence Day weekend. I recovered this old clock at the site of a fishing club that was active from the 1890s until about 1920. Pretty much a virgin site, with bottles, pottery, shell casings, etc.

Right nearby was a broken 'Hiram Wheaton and Sons Soda Water' Bottle from New Bedford, MA. Interesting in that it is the only glass bottle I've ever seen with the date of manufacture embossed in the glass. In this case "1903".

The clock was located about 5 Inches down in a couple of different parts. The chassis is a silvered metal, with brass knobs/gears, and some iron inner components. The clock face feels like tin. Seems too small to be a mantle clock, but too oddly shaped for a pocket watch. Perhaps it was set in wood?

No makers marks or engravings; only an "S" and an "E" engraved on either side of the halfmoon groove on the reverse. As well as a "Made in the USA" printed on the clock face. To me, the font looks more 'Art Deco' 1930s than anything, but I'm at a loss.

Would be interested to see what you all think; general age, type of clock, as well as possible manufacturers.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 0703201917a R.jpg
    0703201917a R.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 0703201918 R.jpg
    0703201918 R.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 189
Text under the 5 and 6 simply reads "Made in USA".

That, to me, somewhat limits the age of the piece.
Though, im not sure when that kind of labelling began.

Text under the 5 and 6 simply reads "Made in USA".

That, to me, somewhat limits the age of the piece.
Though, im not sure when that kind of labelling began.

I was surprised when I looked into shotgun headstamps that some added Made in USA in the late Teens or early Twenties... if i recall correctly. I had figured that was a post-WWII thing.

Back
Top Bottom